Which Linux

system irrelevant topics

Re: Which Linux

Postby jbob0124 » 10 Jul 2009, 20:44

Someone advised me against using the fedora extra repo which you had said you used in your CentOS, Just wanted your opinion on this.
jbob0124
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby ppietro » 10 Jul 2009, 20:59

jbob0124 wrote:Someone advised me against using the fedora extra repo which you had said you used in your CentOS, Just wanted your opinion on this.

Exactly like YDL, you'll be fine as long as you:

1. Use Fedora-extras for Fedora Core 6, not the latest one
2. Add yum-protect base to keep your libraries safe

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 10 Jul 2009, 21:38

ppietro wrote:
jbob0124 wrote:Someone advised me against using the fedora extra repo which you had said you used in your CentOS, Just wanted your opinion on this.

Exactly like YDL, you'll be fine as long as you:

1. Use Fedora-extras for Fedora Core 6, not the latest one
2. Add yum-protect base to keep your libraries safe

I've been reading through some of the CentOS wikis. They definitely have to rebuild Fedora Extras in a custom CentOS version, and don't recommend using the true Fedora Extras repo.

However - it also appears that they recommend using ATrpms, RPMforge (aka FreshRPMS), etc. which are contrary to our recommendations.

My take on this is, if you use our recommended YDL 3rd party repos (Fedora Extras, Livna stable, dribble) you'll be safe, since they work fine for YDL. If you follow the CentOS wiki recommendations, then don't mix the YDL repos in there, since we know there's issues with a number of the recommended repos.

The wiki list is here:
http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResour ... positories

The warnings are here:
http://dag.wieers.com/rpm/FAQ.php#D1

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby levian » 16 Sep 2009, 08:10

i find ubuntu 9.04 impressively stable. installation n setting up features were simple as well. if not for the display problem that i am facing, i would have stick with it for a very, very long time.
levian
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Previous

Return to Off Topic