PS3 "slim" - Who'd want one ?

system irrelevant topics

PS3 "slim" - Who'd want one ?

Postby Taellik » 19 Aug 2009, 18:41

Let's look at this...

1) the new "slim" PS3 costs just as much as an original "fat" PS3

2) the original "fat" PS3 could have Linux installed and run vs. a "slim" PS3 cannot run Linux ( translation - diminished functionality )

3) a "fat" PS3 gives you more value / bang for your buck vs. a "slim" PS3 gives you nothing "new" and takes existing features away

Conclusion : You have to be a fraking idiot to buy a "slim" ! :lol:

Taellik
PS3 80GB, FW 3.21
EyeToy II
NO YDL 6.2 due to 3.21 firmware upgrade
PSP
PSP Go! Cam
Taellik
ydl addict
ydl addict

Location: Raleigh NC and God's Favorite Nation --> THE United States of America

Re: PS3 "slim" - Who'd want one ?

Postby ppietro » 19 Aug 2009, 19:30

Taellik wrote:Let's look at this...

1) the new "slim" PS3 costs just as much as an original "fat" PS3

2) the original "fat" PS3 could have Linux installed and run vs. a "slim" PS3 cannot run Linux ( translation - diminished functionality )

3) a "fat" PS3 gives you more value / bang for your buck vs. a "slim" PS3 gives you nothing "new" and takes existing features away

Conclusion : You have to be a fraking idiot to buy a "slim" ! :lol:

Taellik

To be honest - outside of the original North American & Japanese launch PS3s, every revision has been a disappointment.

The original 60 gig N.A. launch PS3 seems to be the closest to Ken Kutaragi's vision.

The first revision removed hardware PS2 support with a hybrid software/hardware design. Ken claimed that this was their vision all along - but then he left.

The hybrid PS2 emulation could have been better than hardware alone - but that would have required Sony to continue to update the client. Those updates effectively ended after Ken was let go, and the first "cost reduced" PS3 was released.

Not only did this unit remove PS2 BC, but it removed the Super Audio CD support as well. Which is a real shame, since according to some of the tech journals I'd read, the PS3's Cell processor was one of the few chips fast enough to do the format justice.

According to articles like this, SACD support takes 5 SPEs. Contrast that to H.264 HD support which only uses 2.

The 40 gig N.A. unit also suffered from the loss of the 4 USB ports, the loss of the memory card readers - but at least it could run Linux.

Now we have the slim. I'm guessing Sony must be desperate to sell PS3 games - because, outside of Blu-ray movie playback - that's what this machine is geared for.

Ken Kutaragi was many things - but I did appreciate his vision, even if he didn't quite hit the heights he was aiming for. I find very little of Ken's dream in the PS3 slim.

And - that's the real shame.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CronoCloud » 22 Aug 2009, 07:29

ppietro wrote:The hybrid PS2 emulation could have been better than hardware alone - but that would have required Sony to continue to update the client. Those updates effectively ended after Ken was let go, and the first "cost reduced" PS3 was released.

Yeah, I have a CECHE01 and there's issues with some games:

1. Tekken Tag Tournament doesn't run at full speed.

2. Snowblind engine games have issues, Some have minor texture glitching at times (Champions of Norraht), for some it's major enough to make them unplayable (Fallout Brotherhood of Steel). I've not been able to get internet play to work with any Snowblind engine game that supports it, though it had worked on one older firmware.

Funnily enough, I have a PS1 game that runs better on the PS3, Diablo. On a PS1 or PS2 the animation is choppy which was noted in the original reviews of the game, but on a PS3 it isn't. The animation looks like it does in the PC version. Perhaps it's related to how PS1 games output 240p, which is of course not scaled on a PS1 or PS2. And in fact, some HD sets have problems accepting 240p output via a PS2's component connection. Even if you have upscaling off, a PS3 turns PS1 games 240p to 480i.

Ken Kutaragi was many things - but I did appreciate his vision, even if he didn't quite hit the heights he was aiming for. I find very little of Ken's dream in the PS3 slim.

Cheers,
Paul

You probably remember those wacky PS3 prototypes, the ones with 3(!) Ethernet ports and 2(!) HDMI ports, besides the boomerang controller. You probably also remember that Ken said that Linux would be pre-installed on the thing. Well, at least you could install Linux out of the box, that was a good thing.

Ron Rogers Jr. (CronoCloud)
CECHE01 PS3 (MGS4 80GB Bundle) without OtherOS and with an upgraded 320GB HD
Running Fedora 23 on a Compaq Presario CQ5320F upgraded with a Phenom X4 and GT640
Vizio E221A1 22" 1080P TV with HDMI, using 1080P over HDMI
PSN ID: CronoCloudAuron
CronoCloud

Postby aguilarojo » 07 Sep 2009, 07:08

CronoCloud wrote:

Cheers,
Paul

You probably remember those wacky PS3 prototypes, the ones with 3(!) Ethernet ports and 2(!) HDMI ports, besides the boomerang controller. You probably also remember that Ken said that Linux would be pre-installed on the thing. Well, at least you could install Linux out of the box, that was a good thing.

Ron Rogers Jr. (CronoCloud)

Maybe Kutaragi-san can take a page from Jobs, start his own company and create something outrageous which we all want which plays games and runs YDL. He'll annoy and scare everyone and then they'll rehire him and beg him to take over Sony for life! It worked for Jobs.

Everything on the Earth has a purpose.
Every disease an herb to cure it.
And every person has a mission.
This is the Indian Theory of Existence.
-- Morning Dove, Salish (1888-1936)
aguilarojo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Return to Off Topic