LinuxforPS3 Installer

system irrelevant topics

LinuxforPS3 Installer

Postby ning » 19 Oct 2009, 08:09

Hi Paul,
I checked from web, there is this software who has a Window's simulator and an advanced DVD player. There is even a free download. I just wonder should install this product, I have already installed YDL 6.2. It seems that product should be installed before hand.
Thanks.
ning
ydl lover
ydl lover

Re: LinuxforPS3 Installer

Postby ppietro » 19 Oct 2009, 10:04

ning wrote:Hi Paul,
I checked from web, there is this software who has a Window's simulator and an advanced DVD player. There is even a free download. I just wonder should install this product, I have already installed YDL 6.2. It seems that product should be installed before hand.
Thanks.

I have no idea what product you're talking about. A link explaining it would probably be good.

Otherwise, here's the deal.

The PS3 has a PowerPC processor. Windows works on x86 Intel processors. They cannot execute each other's code directly.

In addition, the Cell in the PS3 doesn't have a complete PowerPC processor. It's called a PPE, and it's a single core, dual thread, in-order, moderately fast PowerPC processor. The lack of out-of-order processing really hampers it for standard Linux usage.

So - the only way to run Windows on your PS3 is to run an x86 emulator on your PPE's moderately fast, in-order core. This isn't the same as virtualization, where one OS runs on another using the same processor instructions. Instead the PowerPC has to pretend to be an x86 - which is a big speed hit.

Using QEMU, which is one of the most advanced x86 emulators for PowerPC, on a PS3, we get performance roughly equal to a Pentium 70. That's 70 MHz, my friend.

So - yes - you can run Windows XP via QEMU. But - it has to be a very, very, stripped version of it. Also - since the PS3 only gives you a framebuffer display - you won't get any 3D or 2D acceleration.

As for the DVD - there's a restriction on the internal drive that - as far as we know - you can't work around. It doesn't matter if you use the native Linux VLC or some sort of Windows DVD player through emulation - but the internal drive is prevented from returning the decryption keys via the PS3's hypervisor.

So - my guess is that this software you're looking at is pretty useless, except for running pretty simple, non-3D accelerated Windows games on a P70-ish processor in a stipped down Windows XP, or playing back non-encrypted, non-commercial DVDs.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ning » 19 Oct 2009, 20:02

Thanks for the advice Paul,
another questions is the services.
I have disable many of them, but still plenty there. Not sure which one can be just simply disabled that surly make the machine more faster.

Regards.
ning
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby ppietro » 19 Oct 2009, 20:35

ning wrote:Thanks for the advice Paul,
another questions is the services.
I have disable many of them, but still plenty there. Not sure which one can be just simply disabled that surly make the machine more faster.

Regards.

I actually never disable the services. The amount of performance gained versus the amount of time I have to figure out which ones to disable just isn't worth it for me.

Others in the forums are much more aggressive about this. You may want to search through the forums - there have been posts about this from time to time.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ning » 19 Oct 2009, 20:50

Thanks Paul,
the link for the software:
http://www.linuxforps3installer.com
ning
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby ppietro » 19 Oct 2009, 22:35

ning wrote:Thanks Paul,
the link for the software:
http://www.linuxforps3installer.com

Hmm - I'd pass on this.

They don't give you a copy of Windows - they may not even give you a Linux distribution. They just automate the install.

If you setup the extra repos for YDL according to our forum guides, then install VLC, gstreamer-plugins-bad/ugly, Mplayer & QEMU via YUM, you'd have the exact same setup.

So - yeah - this is a pass. It's great for a non-Linux user who doesn't have access to this board - but redundant for all of us. It doesn't appear to do anything we don't do already.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Off Topic