Hey - I found this!

system irrelevant topics

Hey - I found this!

Postby ppietro » 06 Apr 2010, 05:53

Went to RePC today - they're a computer recycler here in Seattle - and found one of these beauties:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_StarMax

Cool huh?

Hey - it was only $25.00 US. How much fun is that?

I'm gonna try to put some version of Yellow Dog on it. Not sure which one yet. Plus - I need to buy a hard disc for it. Luckily, it takes standard IDE, instead of SCSI.

I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

UPDATE: Looks like it might be Yellow Dog Linux v3.x. See here:
http://www.ydl.net/support/hardware/others.shtml

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hey - I found this!

Postby aguilarojo » 06 Apr 2010, 06:35

ppietro wrote:Went to RePC today - they're a computer recycler here in Seattle - and found one of these beauties:

Cool huh?

I'm gonna try to put some version of Yellow Dog on it. Not sure which one yet. Plus - I need to buy a hard disc for it. Luckily, it takes standard IDE, instead of SCSI.

Cheers,
Paul

Real nice Paul!! I remember those machines, almost bought one but I settled for a Apple Beige Mini-Tower. I think you're right. YDL 3 may be the way to go on that one. You should be able to make the box completely dedicated to YDL. I must admit that I don't remember all the details of YDL 3, but I'm willing to help where I can as long as my memory cells retain something in them. :wink:

All the best, Derick.
Last edited by aguilarojo on 09 Apr 2010, 00:24, edited 1 time in total.

Everything on the Earth has a purpose.
Every disease an herb to cure it.
And every person has a mission.
This is the Indian Theory of Existence.
-- Morning Dove, Salish (1888-1936)
aguilarojo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby ACEFOMIQUZ » 08 Apr 2010, 17:44

ppietro wrote:Went to RePC today - they're a computer recycler here in Seattle - and found one of these beauties:

Cool huh?

Cheers,
Paul

:D I think it's really a good thing and I'm also interested in it.

I wish you could try CRUX PPC instead of Yellow Dog as only the old versions of Yellow Dog can be run well on it.Also,for a long time of observation,I can make sure CRUX PPChttp://cruxppc.org/ is the only distribution right now which has gained Power.org Source LOGO.CRUX PPC is also a high efficiency PowerPC distribution,so I think it is worth of trying.
藍與紅如同水火不容,正藍者必憎紅!
ACEFOMIQUZ
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby ppietro » 08 Apr 2010, 22:52

ACEFOMIQUZ wrote:I wish you could try CRUX PPC instead of Yellow Dog as only the old versions of Yellow Dog can be run well on it.Also,for a long time of observation,I can make sure CRUX PPChttp://cruxppc.org/ is the only distribution right now which has gained Power.org Source LOGO.CRUX PPC is also a high efficiency PowerPC distribution,so I think it is worth of trying.

It looks like Crux might have the same issues with the StarMax as newer versions of YDL. I'll have to read through their documentation a bit more, but a quick scan doesn't indicate support for the box.

On the other hand - I just realized I still have my official PowerPC BeOS discs around. I might turn this into a BeBox instead. ;)

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aguilarojo » 09 Apr 2010, 08:42

ppietro wrote:
ACEFOMIQUZ wrote:I wish you could try CRUX PPC instead of Yellow Dog as only the old versions of Yellow Dog can be run well on it.Also,for a long time of observation,I can make sure CRUX PPChttp://cruxppc.org/ is the only distribution right now which has gained Power.org Source LOGO.CRUX PPC is also a high efficiency PowerPC distribution,so I think it is worth of trying.

It looks like Crux might have the same issues with the StarMax as newer versions of YDL. I'll have to read through their documentation a bit more, but a quick scan doesn't indicate support for the box.

On the other hand - I just realized I still have my official PowerPC BeOS discs around. I might turn this into a BeBox instead. ;)

Cheers,
Paul

I had been looking to share a strategy of "moving forward" with everyone on the YDL Board due to confluence of situations:

• Fixstars moving YDEL and YDEL with CUDA to run on Intel boxes.

• No new PowerPC based desktop/laptop systems available. Also factor in the cessation of Cell Development by IBM and allthough there does exist interesting work going on using G3, G4, G5 and Cell systems anyone looking to work on modern systems and beyond for the purpose of competitive professional development beyond theoretical "proof of concept" efforts would have to look at the SpursEngine as the "working platform".

• SpursEngine work cannot be done within YDL/YDEL running on any PowerPC. This is because Leadtek's SDK for the WinFast runs only on x86 Linux.

The SpursEngine whether it is sold by Fixstars (see LR1AR01), Toshiba (see here) or Leadtek's WinFast PxVC1100 are indeed the best and only way to go. If you have the right PCI housing interface within your desktop you could acquire the WinFast for a mere pittance -- see technical report on WinFast PxVC1100 -- between $150 - $160.

The Linux for designing on the SpursEngine can be any x86 based Linux including YDEL, YDEL with CUDA which integrates with Leadtek's SDK to run the WinFast PxVC1100.

I don't believe anyone is thrilled with the development of various business decisions which led to this point. In my opinion, Sony is more to blame than Geohot however one must also take into context what was discussed in different threads within the YDL Board, referring to both Nintendo and Microsoft. Recall that the Wii and the Xbox are also Cell systems which are not allowed to run Linux. I can imagine Sony ignoring Nintendo; I can't see ignoring Microsoft as they all compete in the same market.
Last edited by aguilarojo on 09 Apr 2010, 09:16, edited 2 times in total.

aguilarojo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby ppietro » 09 Apr 2010, 09:06

W00t!!! I found all of my BeOS discs!

I have:

• BeOS R3
  • BeOS R4
  • BeOS R4.5
  • BeOS 5 Pro

In addition, I found my one purchased Be program - Gobe Productive 2.0 - which was like Microsoft Works - but way cooler. More like ClarisWorks, if you remember that.

Unfortunately, it looks like I'll need to have some version of Mac operating system - 7 or 8 - to install this. None of these discs are Mac bootable. :(

So - back in my software vault tomorrow, if I have time.

Basically, I have a storage locker with all of my old computers. It's enough for a small museum, probably. :)

So - yeah - anywhoooo - probably still going to load YDL 3.x on the StarMax. It'll take a while to find a Mac OS Installer disc, and I want to get something running this weekend.

Cheers,
Paul

P.S. Not that this has any bearing on the StarMax, but I also found my copies of Solaris 7 & Solaris 8 w/Star Office. I think Solaris 7 is for just x86, but Solaris 8 is a full copy for Sparc & x86.
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aguilarojo » 09 Apr 2010, 09:30

ppietro wrote:W00t!!! I found all of my BeOS discs!

I have:

• BeOS R3
  • BeOS R4
  • BeOS R4.5
  • BeOS 5 Pro

In addition, I found my one purchased Be program - Gobe Productive 2.0 - which was like Microsoft Works - but way cooler. More like ClarisWorks, if you remember that.

Unfortunately, it looks like I'll need to have some version of Mac operating system - 7 or 8 - to install this. None of these discs are Mac bootable. :(

So - back in my software vault tomorrow, if I have time.

Basically, I have a storage locker with all of my old computers. It's enough for a small museum, probably. :)

So - yeah - anywhoooo - probably still going to load YDL 3.x on the StarMax. It'll take a while to find a Mac OS Installer disc, and I want to get something running this weekend.

Cheers,
Paul

P.S. Not that this has any bearing on the StarMax, but I also found my copies of Solaris 7 & Solaris 8 w/Star Office. I think Solaris 7 is for just x86, but Solaris 8 is a full copy for Sparc & x86.

Very nice!!

I was going to suggest Open Solaris for the PowerPC, but they are smaller than we are nor will Open Solaris support the variety of hardware which YDL supports.

Suggestion: Find OS 9 somewhere (I'll look through my own stuff as well) and prepare a partition for OS 9 first. Then install the version of OS X known as Tiger, and once it sees the OS 9 partition it will allow you to install Classic -- select that installation option from within the Tiger install disk. Then install the BeOS. You may discover the very freakish and neat deal to boot into BeOS from within the Classic mode within OS X! This gives you the option that if you need to do or have anything done within Apple's OS at least you'll be more current than having to use System 7 or 8.

All the best...
Last edited by aguilarojo on 09 Apr 2010, 13:02, edited 1 time in total.

aguilarojo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby ppietro » 09 Apr 2010, 09:47

aguilarojo wrote:Suggestion: Find OS 9 somewhere (I'll look through my own stuff as well) and prepare a partition for OS 9 first.

8< snip >8

Then install the BeOS.

At one point, there was a bug in the Macintosh BeOS installer that required OS 8.6 or earlier. I'm not sure if that got fixed or not - I'm researching that.

See here:
http://www.computing.net/answers/beos/b ... /1241.html

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aguilarojo » 09 Apr 2010, 13:12

ppietro wrote:
aguilarojo wrote:At one point, there was a bug in the Macintosh BeOS installer that required OS 8.6 or earlier. ...

Cheers,
Paul

Well as this appears to be true, try installing System 8.6 and then follow the procedure I suggested earlier. I believe that at least one of os's you use should be as close to current as possible. I'm all for nostalgia, as any good techie is, but I'm also practical. See if this strategy works and you could end up with OS X with a Classic environment within which you can boot the BeOS from.

If this can work, WOW!

All the best..
Derick.

aguilarojo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby ACEFOMIQUZ » 09 Apr 2010, 16:34

aguilarojo wrote:
ppietro wrote:

Cheers,
Paul

I had been looking to share a strategy of "moving forward" with everyone on the YDL Board due to confluence of situations:

• Fixstars moving YDEL and YDEL with CUDA to run on Intel boxes.
  • No new PowerPC based desktop/laptop systems available. Also factor in the cessation of Cell Development by IBM and allthough there does exist interesting work going on using G3, G4, G5 and Cell systems anyone looking to work on modern systems and beyond for the purpose of competitive professional development beyond theoretical "proof of concept" efforts would have to look at the SpursEngine as the "working platform".

• SpursEngine work cannot be done within YDL/YDEL running on any PowerPC. This is because Leadtek's SDK for the WinFast runs only on x86 Linux.

The SpursEngine whether it is sold by Fixstars (see LR1AR01), Toshiba (see here) or Leadtek's WinFast PxVC1100 are indeed the best and only way to go. If you have the right PCI housing interface within your desktop you could acquire the WinFast for a mere pittance -- see technical report on WinFast PxVC1100 -- between $150 - $160.

The Linux for designing on the SpursEngine can be any x86 based Linux including YDEL, YDEL with CUDA which integrates with Leadtek's SDK to run the WinFast PxVC1100.

I don't believe anyone is thrilled with the development of various business decisions which led to this point. In my opinion, Sony is more to blame than Geohot however one must also take into context what was discussed in different threads within the YDL Board, referring to both Nintendo and Microsoft. Recall that the Wii and the Xbox are also Cell systems which are not allowed to run Linux. I can imagine Sony ignoring Nintendo; I can't see ignoring Microsoft as they all compete in the same market.

You have been serious OFF TOPIC I think.
藍與紅如同水火不容,正藍者必憎紅!
ACEFOMIQUZ
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby aguilarojo » 09 Apr 2010, 17:53

ACEFOMIQUZ wrote:
You have been serious OFF TOPIC I think.

Well, I do believe that this is the right place to be OT -- as this is an OT thread, anyway. Right?? :wink:

aguilarojo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby ACEFOMIQUZ » 10 Apr 2010, 06:41

I was going to suggest Open Solaris for the PowerPC, but they are smaller than we are nor will Open Solaris support the variety of hardware which YDL supports.

藍與紅交冉不得……

Are you thinking Solaris and AIX are all the same without any differences only because both of them are UNIX?
In fact,there are lots of differences between them and both OS are just for each CPU architecture.
Last edited by ACEFOMIQUZ on 12 Apr 2010, 14:55, edited 1 time in total.
藍與紅如同水火不容,正藍者必憎紅!
ACEFOMIQUZ
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby ACEFOMIQUZ » 10 Apr 2010, 07:08

* Fixstars moving YDEL and YDEL with CUDA to run on Intel boxes.
* No new PowerPC based desktop/laptop systems available. Also factor in the cessation of Cell Development by IBM and allthough there does exist interesting work going on using G3, G4, G5 and Cell systems anyone looking to work on modern systems and beyond for the purpose of competitive professional development beyond theoretical "proof of concept" efforts would have to look at the SpursEngine as the "working platform".

* SpursEngine work cannot be done within YDL/YDEL running on any PowerPC. This is because Leadtek's SDK for the WinFast runs only on x86 Linux.

The hardware for YDEL for CUDA is just CUDA.I think you can NOT simply say YDEL on EM64T is a "rogue OS".
藍與紅如同水火不容,正藍者必憎紅!
ACEFOMIQUZ
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby ppietro » 12 Apr 2010, 07:09

An update. I fired it up today and it works!

I went to Fry's yesterday, and bought a 500 gig PATA drive for the StarMax and a bunch of small parts. Assembled it this morning, and tested it a little.

It chimes correctly and runs. However, the Mac OS disc I have is a bad copy - it gets the disk w/question mark. So - instead, I'm going ask a friend of mine who used to own a Macintosh store. I know he's got a bunch of system discs around.

At this point - it looks promising. I have a feeling I'll need to use a 3rd party utility to format the disc - and I might have to do it in 128 Gig chunks. But - I'm having fun - that's the main thing, right?. :D

BTW - I had a hard time finding YDL 3.0 disc images. I finally found some here:
http://www.intuitionbase.com/static.php?section=ydl

I know some folks on this board have an alternate FTP site for images. Does anyone remember what that site is? We should sticky it here on the board.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aguilarojo » 12 Apr 2010, 07:38

ppietro wrote:An update. I fired it up today and it works!

... I might have to do it in 128 Gig chunks. But - I'm having fun - that's the main thing, right?. :D

Way to go Paul!!

I know there's a relationship to the processing capacity of the CPU and how much of any hard drive it can "see", or an analog of some relationship which I've forgotten across the years. Would you be kind enough to share the algorithm??

ppietro wrote:BTW - I had a hard time finding YDL 3.0 disc images. I finally found some here:
http://www.intuitionbase.com/static.php?section=ydl

I know some folks on this board have an alternate FTP site for images. Does anyone remember what that site is? We should sticky it here on the board.

Cheers,
Paul

Try this link to point yum to it: http://ftp.caliu.cat/pub1/distribucions/yellowdog/yum/

To acquire the .iso files go here: http://ftp.caliu.cat/pub1/distribucions/yellowdog/iso/

I did not discover the caliu server first another person did, you can see that thread here: http://yellowdog-board.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7225

All the best...

aguilarojo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Next

Return to Off Topic