A Crazy Idea

system irrelevant topics

A Crazy Idea

Postby ACEFOMIQUZ » 08 Apr 2010, 18:53

I've been thinking of this for a long time but I can't make sure whether you guys here are interested in this project.And with the coming end of Yellow Dog for OpenPower,I think it's time for me to speak out.
1.As JFS/JFS2 is the default file system of AIX which is also the default OS for Power(including POWER PowerPC CellBE),I want to retain it in the project.
2.XCOFF which is the default executable file format of AIX is also just for Power,that's also what I want to retain.
Both of them are the only open source project of AIX what I know and of course we can use them.
3.As Mac OS X was the default OS for PowerPC,and Darwin is the open source project of it.I want to let Darwin instead of Linux kernel be the back-end OS in the project.But with two feathers above,we should do some modification on Darwin:add JFS as default file system and let XCOFF replace Mach-O to be the default executable file format.
4.As Yellow Dog Linux is the default OS for CellBE,but as it's based on CentOS which is also based on RHEL which is also based on fedora,it's with not all the work done by Yellow Dog community,some standards formulated by Red Hat and PNAELV.Only some "Yellow Dog Only"feathers should be maintained,such as Yum which is based on Yup,Yum Extender(to be the default front-end for Yum in this project),*.rpm package format as Yum is JUST for it,some optimization works for PowerPC and CellBE and so on.
5.As what I said above,I mean I don't want CentOS or fedora to be the base OS in this project.Instead of that,I think you may guess that I want to let CRUX PPC be the base OS as it's the perfect GNU/Linux distribution for PowerPC because of having gained Power.org Source LOGO.
6.Replace the Linux kernel and some back-end OS with the modified Darwin(maybe we can do this by using GNU-Darwin) in CRUX PPC,compile all the modified OS in XCOFF,then package them in *.rpm format.
A New Operating System JUST FOR Power will be born at the time:Yellow Dog Darwin,the MOST OFFICIAL OS for Power!
Last edited by ACEFOMIQUZ on 08 Apr 2010, 19:03, edited 2 times in total.
藍與紅如同水火不容,正藍者必憎紅!
ACEFOMIQUZ
ydl addict
ydl addict

Re: A Crazy Idea

Postby ACEFOMIQUZ » 08 Apr 2010, 19:02

As almost all the OS is written in C programming language except I/O Kit a part of XNU kernel which is written in C++.
I want to rewrite the "I/O Kit" by using C or Fortran instead.
藍與紅如同水火不容,正藍者必憎紅!
ACEFOMIQUZ
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby ppietro » 08 Apr 2010, 19:11

ACEFOMIQUZ wrote:3.As Mac OS X was the default OS for PowerPC,and Darwin is the open source project of it.I want to let Darwin instead of Linux kernel be the back-end OS in the project.But with two feathers above,we should do some modification on Darwin:add JFS as default file system and let XCOFF replace Mach-O to be the default executable file format.

This might be very difficult to do.

If you decide to let Darwin be the kernel, then you must use mach-o or an eqivalent, since it doesn't use a standard monolithic kernel like Linux, AIX or Solaris. Unless XCOFF is compatible with mach kernels, you're forced into using mach-o, which is the default binary format for mach kernels.

More about mach here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mach_(kernel)

and monolithic:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monolithic_kernel

Darwin is based on BSD - if XCOFF requires a monolithic kernel, it may be easier to use BSD instead of Darwin as your base.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ACEFOMIQUZ » 08 Apr 2010, 19:21

ppietro wrote:Unless XCOFF is compatible with mach kernels, you're forced into using mach-o, which is the default binary format for mach kernels.

So far as I know,GNU(Hurd) is in ELF format which is also using Mach microkernel.So maybe what I said above is not so difficult to realize,I think.
藍與紅如同水火不容,正藍者必憎紅!
ACEFOMIQUZ
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby ppietro » 08 Apr 2010, 20:31

ACEFOMIQUZ wrote:
ppietro wrote:Unless XCOFF is compatible with mach kernels, you're forced into using mach-o, which is the default binary format for mach kernels.

So far as I know,GNU(Hurd) is in ELF format which is also using Mach microkernel.So maybe what I said above is not so difficult to realize,I think.

I've got a copy of gnu hurd in one of my virtual machines. I'll boot it up and let you know.
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 08 Apr 2010, 22:05

ppietro wrote:I've got a copy of gnu hurd in one of my virtual machines. I'll boot it up and let you know.

Confirmed - as you suspected GNU/Hurd uses ELF.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ACEFOMIQUZ » 09 Apr 2010, 16:16

ppietro wrote:
ppietro wrote:I've got a copy of gnu hurd in one of my virtual machines. I'll boot it up and let you know.

Confirmed - as you suspected GNU/Hurd uses ELF.

Cheers,
Paul

:D Thanks for that!
藍與紅如同水火不容,正藍者必憎紅!
ACEFOMIQUZ
ydl addict
ydl addict

Return to Off Topic