Sony sued for dropping Linux from PS3

system irrelevant topics

Sony sued for dropping Linux from PS3

Postby NeoAmsterdam » 01 May 2010, 00:20

I spotted this article during a stroll through El Reg and thought I'd share the relevant bits...
A PlayStation 3 owner has filed a proposed class-action lawsuit against Sony that accuses the console maker downgrading millions of devices by removing their ability to run Linux.

The lawsuit takes aim at Sony's highly controversial move last month to disable "other OS" support from older PlayStation 3 consoles. The decision was announced a few months after the prolific hacker, George Hotz, aka geohot, devised a way to effectively jailbreak the console with the help of that Linux feature and a soldering gun.

Sony claimed it was neutering the devices for "security reasons," but a more transparent explanation would have been they didn't want to face the wrath of game makers and film studios who were worried their content would be much easier to copy...
Sony has long touted Other OS as a feature that distinguished the PS3 from other consoles...
"This disablement is not only a breach of the sales contract between Sony and its customers and a breach of the covenant of good faith and fair dealing, but it is also an unfair and deceptive business practice perpetrated on millions of unsuspecting consumers," the complaint stated.

"Plaintiff chose to purchase a PS3, as opposed to an Xbox or a Wii, because it offered the Other OS feature as well as other unique PS3 features (such as the ability to play Blu-ray discs and access the PlayStation Network), despite the fact that the PS3 was substantially more expensive than other gaming consoles."
...effective April Fools Day, [PS3s] were no longer able to access a host of features, according to the complaint, which was filed in US District Court in the Northern California District. Those features included the ability to sign into the PlayStation Network and to run many newer games and movies released on Blu-ray.

The suit, filed on behalf of PS3 owner Anthony Venture, of Santa Clara County, California, seeks class-action status, which would allow millions of other PS3 owners to sign on as well.
shutdown -h now # Will the last person to leave please remember to turn off the lights?
NeoAmsterdam
ydl lover
ydl lover

Re: Sony sued for dropping Linux from PS3

Postby ppietro » 03 May 2010, 09:33

NeoAmsterdam wrote:I spotted this article during a stroll through El Reg and thought I'd share the relevant bits...

We've already been discussing this in the main "OtherOS removed in Firmware update 3.21" thread:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7266&start=300#p38376

Thanks for The Register info, though - we hadn't seen that yet.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Off Topic