Windows 7 & Paragon Software Group's Rescue Kit Free Edition

system irrelevant topics

Windows 7 & Paragon Software Group's Rescue Kit Free Edition

Postby aguilarojo » 22 Jan 2011, 05:16

Across the years, the experience of users of both Windows and Macs have created a rather interesting division of loyalties, just as compelling as what many of us experience with YDL and other Linuxes. Everyone has their stories and firmly held preferences, I'm sure.

This particular discussion is to share with the YDL community information regarding a useful tool for those who suddenly discover themselves in a jam. Should the scenario of a Mac or other computer running YDL suffer a hazard such that only the hard drive remains viable, then one must enforce a strategy to recover the data on that drive. The strategy I employ most often is to remove the hard drive from the computer and install it into an external enclosure. There are lots of applications which others recommend to access the HFS+ formatted partitions Macs use and the ext2/3 partitions YDL, as well as other Linux variants, have used as well.

Of the varieties of tools I've tried myself only two are reasonable time-savers. They are:

• MacDrive, useful for reading/copying HFS+ partitions.

• Rescue Kit 10 Free Edition, great for reading/copying HFS+, ext2/3/4, Linux Swap and NTFS, FAT 16, FAT 32. and other partitions. More details regarding functions available within the Free Edition listed here.

Both work seamlessly well within Windows 7.

Some details regarding these products. MacDrive produced by Mediafour is a commercial product which allows users to download an evaluation copy which allows all functions to be active for 5 days.

Paragon Software Group's product, Rescue Kit 10 Free Edition allows users to download an .iso image which they can burn immediately onto a CD or DVD. Obviously the Rescue Kit 10 Free Edition is the technical work tool of choice. That a free product provides support for "all levels of SCSI, IDE and SATA RAID controllers" is an outstanding value.

Utilizing the above strategies and tools would also be prudent for those who choose to move forward with current and upcoming new Intel chips which contain innovations previously incorporated into the PowerPC/Cell. It's not easy to discover which chips are incorporating Cell-like technologies into themselves but the information is available for those who are willing to do the research. The duo, quad, hex and other higher core chips which exist, or will soon come to market, are the modern benefactors of prior Motorola and IBM work with the Cell/PowerPC line of development. That history was discussed in other threads within the YDL Board and are not difficult to pull together for reference if such a review interests anyone.

Everything on the Earth has a purpose.
Every disease an herb to cure it.
And every person has a mission.
This is the Indian Theory of Existence.
-- Morning Dove, Salish (1888-1936)
aguilarojo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Return to Off Topic