Mounting a PS3 Drive under linux ???

system irrelevant topics

Mounting a PS3 Drive under linux ???

Postby dogdaynoon » 05 Apr 2011, 22:47

I would like to pull out my PS3's HDD and put it in a linux box and read the contents.
Everywhere I go I get this answer "NO", and "Ps3 drive is encrypted so it can only be viewed on that particular system"....
Is this possible.
I was referenced to Paul and ppietro. I know that there is infinite wisdom here because I have used it in the past.
All praise the forum.

So how bout it guys, what is the best way to read the contents of my PS3's HDD without the use of my (or any) PS3?
I have a debian box right now but it would be super easy to throw ubutu or YDL on there...
dogdaynoon
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Mounting a PS3 Drive under linux ???

Postby billb » 06 Apr 2011, 00:50

I'm not aware of any way to do that, and yes the drive is encrypted. If OtherOS is installed on the drive, I believe that's stored at the end and not encrypted, so you could use something like dd to read the last 10GB (or whatever the OtherOS partition size). I haven't actually tried this myself, though, and it doesn't sound like what you're after.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Mounting a PS3 Drive under linux ???

Postby ppietro » 06 Apr 2011, 03:44

dogdaynoon wrote:I would like to pull out my PS3's HDD and put it in a linux box and read the contents.
Everywhere I go I get this answer "NO", and "Ps3 drive is encrypted so it can only be viewed on that particular system"....

Heh - I know where this is going....

dogdaynoon wrote:Is this possible.

Nope. The PS3 drive is encrypted and can only be viewed on that particular system. I don't think it's even using PC partition tables, to be honest - although I can't confirm that.

The only thing that you can view from your PC is an OtherOS partition - if you created one.

Unfortunately, it's usually just stuck on the end of the PS3 partition, so you'd have to use dd to copy it to a new drive - the Partition table would be in the wrong location if you just plugged the drive into a PC.

I wrote a little about it here:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7266&p=38196#p38196

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Off Topic