tsclient for Fedora 15

system irrelevant topics

tsclient for Fedora 15

Postby ppietro » 24 Oct 2011, 22:33

Hi everyone,

As most folks know, I do like to dabble in Linux. Lately, I've been trying Fedora 15 on a virtual machine - just to see what a cutting edge Linux is like.

One thing I miss from previous versions of Fedora is the old rdesktop GUI front-end called tsclient. That package has been deprecated in favor of newer RDP clients. But - I miss it anyway.

Well - I was able to take the SRPM for tsclient from Fedora 13, and add patches to get it to build in Fedora 15.

I don't think this will build on YDL per se - since it's based on RedHat Enterprise Linux - but the patch system is interesting. You basically unpack the SRPM, add your patches in the form of diff files to the SOURCE directory, edit the spec file to include them, and re-package and re-build the RPM and SRPM.

No muss - no fuss.

I've attached an archive here with the SRPM, a sample RPM, etc.
tsclient-2.0.2-7.fc15.i686.tar.gz
Archive with SRPM, RPM, etc.
(649.48 KiB) Downloaded 1156 times

Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: tsclient for Fedora 15

Postby billb » 03 Nov 2011, 17:23

ppietro wrote:I don't think this will build on YDL per se - since it's based on RedHat Enterprise Linux - but the patch system is interesting. You basically unpack the SRPM, add your patches in the form of diff files to the SOURCE directory, edit the spec file to include them, and re-package and re-build the RPM and SRPM.

That's pretty much the way I do all my rebuilds from SRPMS ...

As regular user:

rpm -ivh /path/to/package.srpm

This extracts/installs the spec, patches, source tarball, etc. to the appropriate directories under rpmbuild.

Then I edit the spec and add any patches if needed and rebuild from the spec as usual.

Speaking of Fedora 15, did you try the new Gnome? Yikes. :P
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 08 Nov 2011, 04:29

billb wrote:Speaking of Fedora 15, did you try the new Gnome? Yikes. :P

Yeah - I did.

At first I was like "What's all the fuss?" But - that's because I was running it in Virtual Box with simple video, and Gnome had switched to "fallback" mode.

I enabled Virtual Box 3D acceleration, and the true horror of the Gnome 3.0 interface appeared. :D

Boy - it's hard to wrap your head around an interface without a minimize button or a right click menu, that's for sure ><

Anyway - I enabled "Tweak Advanced Settings" in gnome - yum install gnome-tweak-tool should get you there - and from the File Manager tab, I turned on "Have file manager handle the desktop". That made it much more familiar.

One more yum setting - yum install nautilus-open-terminal - to get the right click Open in Terminal command, and I've been navigating pretty well.

Still - this interface is pretty bizarre. No wonder Linus wants a Gnome fork:
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/l ... rbxccnbzd1

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ACEFOMIQUZ » 11 Jul 2012, 12:14

I thought you've tried it on the PS3 or on a PowerMac, finally i guess it is a x86 edtion
藍與紅如同水火不容,正藍者必憎紅!
ACEFOMIQUZ
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby ppietro » 11 Jul 2012, 16:55

ACEFOMIQUZ wrote:I thought you've tried it on the PS3 or on a PowerMac, finally i guess it is a x86 edtion

You are correct - it was an x86 build.

Just FYI - you can always tell directly from the RPM name. For example:

ppietro wrote:I've attached an archive here with the SRPM, a sample RPM, etc.
tsclient-2.0.2-7.fc15.i686.tar.gz

If you look at the RPM name in the archive, you'll see that it lists the name of the program (tsclient), the version number (2.0.2), the build revision number (7 - i.e. how many times the source archive has been revised without major changes to the source), the Linux distribution (fc15 - fedora core 15) and the processor architecture (i686 - or modern x86).

However - if you have Fedora running on Power architecture, you should be able to use the SRPM I included in the archive and rebuild it for your system. That's why I like SRPMs so much. :D

If you need a guide for building from SRPMs, it's not too hard. I outline the starting steps here:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7937&p=40974#p40974

Basically, you do this:
  1. Create the BUILD, SOURCES, SPECS, RPMS, and SRPMS directories where you want them. They should be in a single build directory.
  2. Create an .rpmmacros file in your home directory to point at this build directory.
  3. Unpack the SRPM by using this command: rpm -ivh /path-to-your/foo.src.rpm
  4. Navigate to the spec file - it's in the SPECS directory you created above - and edit it if necessary
  5. Rebuild it using setarch ppc32 rpmbuild -ba --ppc foo.spec

If no changes are necessary to the spec file, you can skip the last steps. Just do steps 1 & 2, then from your downloaded SRPM location, use the --rebuild argument to the rpmbuild command:
setarch ppc32 rpmbuild --ppc --rebuild foo.src.rpm

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Off Topic