Good Instant Messenger?

system irrelevant topics

Good Instant Messenger?

Postby silver1499 » 07 Apr 2005, 21:41

I'm looking for a good instant messaging client. I use pretty much exclusively the aim protocol. I'm coming from Adium on OSX, so I want something with at least some level of configuration in terms of the gui. I've tried out SIM, Kopete and Gaim. SIM is reasonably good in terms of looks, but I can't get it to work at all. It disconnects and reconnects almost nonstop. Kopete is just kinda ok, doesn't look bad, but I don't like the way it works. Gaim is by far my favorite in terms of how well it works. But its interface is not notably attractive. I think there is a way to tweak it using gtk themes or something, but I obviously have no clue how to do this. So is there an instant messaging client (aim capable) that has these type of features? or does anyone know how to succesfully use the gtk themes to change Gaim's appearance?

Thanks,
Sterling
silver1499
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby Ruiner54 » 08 Apr 2005, 20:31

Did you try amsn? I haven't used it but have heard good things about it. What I am looking for is an instant messenger that will send actual p2p transfers. Apparently all of the linux IM programs connect to the msn servers, so file transfers go from computer to server to the destination, which makes it really slow. I have yet to find one that seems to send files actually p2p.

Anyway, couldn't hurt to try amsn!
Standard g3 500 indigo imac
384 mb RAM
Ruiner54
ydl lover
ydl lover

Location: Sackville, New Brunswick....that's right...SACKville

Return to Off Topic