Are there community/3rd party package sources?

useful downloads: kernel, sources, packages, etc.

Are there community/3rd party package sources?

Postby kempelen » 11 Apr 2007, 23:58

Hi,

As I can see from announcements, there are many important packages in the system, but general usage would require some more than I can find in the package search system on the web.

Are there any sources, like sunfreeware for Solaris, or PLF for Mandriva, and Contrib for Mandriva? Packages like mplayer and many other would be useful to be installed by a few clicks instead compiling them.

Thanks,
Ferenc
kempelen
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby kempelen » 03 Jul 2007, 19:05

None? Meanwhile I installed 5.x powermac, and missing some goodies. Mainly usual desktop applications, like bittorrent, mplayer, amarok. I am trying to compile them, but there are too many unsatisfied dependecies, e.g. wxPython for bittorrent.

Are there no package sources other than I can see in the software installer? Do I have to compile them and dependencies from source?

Great work anyway, YDL looks very nice, KDE works very well, what is included that runs smooth, congratulations!

Note: if MBR contains a Windows boot record, installer did not overwrite it, even if I deleted all partitions and made the old HD YDL only!! I needed to 'dd' null bytes to the HD to succeed the installation of boot loader.
kempelen
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 04 Jul 2007, 15:50

kempelen wrote:Are there no package sources other than I can see in the software installer? Do I have to compile them and dependencies from source?

You can add repositories such as Fedora Core 5 & Extras, Livna, FreshRPMS, use RPMs from Dribble repository, etc. You do this by adding specific files to your /etc/yum.repos.d folder. This site has some instructions on how to do this -- look in the section for vlc on PS3:

http://www.edepot.com/playstation3.html

I'm not sure if the Livna ppc repo for FC5 is working right now -- I had to disable mine a while back.

EDIT: I have a guide for setting up additional repos here now.
Last edited by billb on 11 Nov 2007, 19:04, edited 1 time in total.
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby anorexorcist » 10 Aug 2007, 04:34

Anybody got any links for some good extra repositories for YDL 5 on PPC?
I've searched google and come up empty. Also, I'm not sure if I want to use the livna repos for Fedora since I've heard it can be dangerous to use those on YDL and also because I'm not sure which Fedora repo corresponds to YDL 5.

Bust out some links, ya'll!

Thanks in advance! I especially need some mp3 support in my Rythmbox!
anorexorcist
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby TekMate » 11 Nov 2007, 18:41

Anyone know if we can use the Fedora 7 PPC repositories with YDL 5.0.2?
Amnesia used to be my favorite word, but then I forgot it.
TekMate
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby billb » 11 Nov 2007, 19:01

TekMate wrote:Anyone know if we can use the Fedora 7 PPC repositories with YDL 5.0.2?

That would be nice ... but I don't think so.
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TekMate » 11 Nov 2007, 19:25

billb wrote:
TekMate wrote:Anyone know if we can use the Fedora 7 PPC repositories with YDL 5.0.2?

That would be nice ... but I don't think so.

Any third party sites for the latest YDL then?
Amnesia used to be my favorite word, but then I forgot it.
TekMate
ydl lover
ydl lover

Return to Downloads