Would you guys like and download YDL4.0 cd ISOs?

useful downloads: kernel, sources, packages, etc.

Yes
90%
No
10%

Total votes : 21

Postby hexstar » 08 Dec 2004, 22:25

I will gladly host 4 ISOs for each YDL4.0 cd as well as the source cds if you guys will download them and use 'em, so will you guys? would you guys like me to permenetly host the YDL4.0 cd isos for you guys to freely download? if I get enough votes for yes then I'll put them up and post the links to the ISOs asap.
hexstar
ydl addict
ydl addict

vote

Postby themongoose » 17 Dec 2004, 02:57

YES!
themongoose

Postby hexstar » 19 Dec 2004, 08:04

ok well I was thinking of doing this as a nice service to the yellowdog linux when the ISOs weren't availible on the YDL ftp/http mirrors but now since they are this doesn't seem to be that much of a need...as such I'll put this on my list of things to do...will likely be done once I get a bigger HD for my server
hexstar
ydl addict
ydl addict

downloading YDL 4.0 ...

Postby monway » 25 Jan 2005, 17:46

Personally, I think it would be so much better to put ydl on a dvd and distribute it using Bittorrent.
I figure if you had only one cd to install the entire distro of YDL on a dvd ...why not?
monway
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby owen » 03 Feb 2005, 04:50

Absolutely not. The lawyers will be after you in a heartbeat...

It is illegal to distribute YDL without prior written consent as it contains TSS's trademarks and copyrighted material (such as images). There is a reason that we wait to before mirroring the latest release which is to encourage YDL.net and CD sales.

Remember, YDL costs money to develop and myself and other TSS employees have to eat, buy groceries, and maybe one day retire.

Cheers,
Owen
Owen Stampflee
Linux Product Manager, Fixstars Corporation
owen
YDL Developer
YDL Developer

Postby monway » 03 Feb 2005, 11:44

Absolutely not. The lawyers will be after you in a heartbeat...

It is illegal to distribute YDL without prior written consent as it contains TSS's trademarks and copyrighted material (such as images). There is a reason that we wait to before mirroring the latest release which is to encourage YDL.net and CD sales.

Remember, YDL costs money to develop and myself and other TSS employees have to eat, buy groceries, and maybe one day retire.

Cheers,
Owen

Owen ,
I am too a developer as well and we all understand the need to get paid. When I initially posted originally I assumed that people had enhanced account to download legally ydl box set. (I purchased ydl before I even downloaded any cd images here so my support was already given to ydl. I think you jumped the gun before you understood that my post was only about suggesting ydl to put their distro on dvd and distribute it via bittorrent or jigdo since transferring dvd's over the net can be costly.
P2P doesn't necessarily mean that they are piracy tools or whatever most developers and companies think. Personally i think bittorrent is a genius application and would be quite useful for distributing "legal" software or operating systems such as linux.

Maybe the next time when someone makes a suggestion it would probably be a better idea not to push people away with such harsh words describing how public doesnt feed you. How most people support a company like yellow dog linux is to listen to the people.
suggestively, a dvd would be very essential to installation processes. most linux and other operating systems are already doing so because of the simplicity.

Listening to the people is what i call bread cast on water ... everyone gets happy here..
more people would buy ydl if they knew they could have only one disc to install the whole enchilada.

[I've edited my post to make a more clearer point across in detail which I hope clears things up a bit in my suggestion]

sorry if my english isn't clear as I'm Taiwanese.
Last edited by monway on 03 Feb 2005, 20:01, edited 1 time in total.
monway
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby StarKnight83 » 03 Feb 2005, 18:36

Owen, i hate to be a the bad guy here (yes i do understand you need to eat and whatnot-why i bought the box set even after i dled the final isos w/ my enhanced acc.) but why not offer YDL on a dvd? it would make installation a little simpler by not having to change disks
Til our paths cross again
StarKnight83

Postby Fei's Nik » 19 Feb 2007, 04:51

It is good to make public mirrors available, but only with the blessing of TSS and only once they make it available for free public mirrors.
Your friendly neighborhood moderator,
Nik Stanosheck
http://www.Stanosheck.com
Image Image
Fei's Nik

Re: Would you guys like and download YDL4.0 cd ISOs?

Postby levian » 16 Sep 2009, 07:55

yes!

i am having trouble downloading from the mirrors, it doesn't allow me to resume, n it is slow. the file is extremely huge for non-resumable download. i had it run for the whole day but it only went as far as 11%.
levian
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Would you guys like and download YDL4.0 cd ISOs?

Postby ppietro » 16 Sep 2009, 08:14

levian wrote:yes!

i am having trouble downloading from the mirrors, it doesn't allow me to resume, n it is slow. the file is extremely huge for non-resumable download. i had it run for the whole day but it only went as far as 11%.

Hiya!

Please note the original posting date of this thread. You are replying to a post made in 2007. It is not applicable anymore.

Locking this thread for further replies.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Downloads