Just got YDL 6.1, Installing now

useful downloads: kernel, sources, packages, etc.

Just got YDL 6.1, Installing now

Postby pliablemammal » 23 Nov 2008, 11:24

Has anyone else installed 6.1 yet? I'm doing the 64bit text mode install, after a few days of messing with Gentoo and Fedora 10 Preview.

I have YDL 6.0 earlier tonight, it ran well but the wifi was having some problems, I've got the new 80gig PS3, without the media card ports, and two usb ports.
pliablemammal
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Just got YDL 6.1, Installing now

Postby ppietro » 25 Nov 2008, 02:36

pliablemammal wrote:Has anyone else installed 6.1 yet? I'm doing the 64bit text mode install, after a few days of messing with Gentoo and Fedora 10 Preview.

I have YDL 6.0 earlier tonight, it ran well but the wifi was having some problems, I've got the new 80gig PS3, without the media card ports, and two usb ports.

Are you in a PAL territory with a standard definition TV? Normally, you wouldn't use the 64 bit text install - you would use one of the PS3 specific install modes. You would only use the 64 bit mode if, well, you were in a PAL territory with a standard definition TV. (I really should have thought out this post better.... :D)

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pliablemammal » 26 Nov 2008, 12:38

Yeah I've since realized the error of my ways, now I am fighting the new WiFi tool, it just plain sucks with a Linksys WRT54G and WPA / TKIP PSK Mode it just won't connect, but works find in the PS3 OS mode.

I'm also trying to cross compile Handbrake tonight, as I think it might be compatible with a little TLC.

Damn it sure would be nice to have a working WiFi card. I paid $69 for the YDL.net account, but I don't see anyone with the same issues.

I also tried WPA2 with AES and TKIP and WPA1 Personal with AES, all act the same.

I can connect if the network is open, but I'm a little paranoid about doing that... :x
pliablemammal
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 26 Nov 2008, 12:42

pliablemammal wrote:Yeah I've since realized the error of my ways, now I am fighting the new WiFi tool, it just plain sucks with a Linksys WRT54G and WPA / TKIP PSK Mode it just won't connect, but works find in the PS3 OS mode.

I'm also trying to cross compile Handbrake tonight, as I think it might be compatible with a little TLC.

Damn it sure would be nice to have a working WiFi card. I paid $69 for the YDL.net account, but I don't see anyone with the same issues.

I also tried WPA2 with AES and TKIP and WPA1 Personal with AES, all act the same.

I can connect if the network is open, but I'm a little paranoid about doing that... :x

WPA support in Linux is problematic. It might be fixed in YDL 6.1 - but I can't confirm that yet.

In the meantime, try using WEP. See my tips'n'tricks post here:

viewtopic.php?t=3399

for other things to try and more information about WPA in Linux.

If the cross-compiling becomes too painful, you can add the extra three repos listed here:
viewtopic.php?t=3017

and install ffmpeg. You will need a working network before you can use the automated installs via YUM, though. :)

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby lernatix » 19 Dec 2008, 12:00

Free mirrors aren't available yet. :(

Any idea when it might be available?
: 60Gb PS3 : 1TB External : YDL 6.1 : Gnome : 42" LCD : Sound Bar : Daytona 675 :
lernatix
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby ppietro » 19 Dec 2008, 20:32

lernatix wrote:Free mirrors aren't available yet. :(

Any idea when it might be available?

I see you've already found this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4349

(adding to this thead for completeness' sake)

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby lernatix » 19 Dec 2008, 23:45

It's still not out.

Thats it i'm resorting to torrents.
: 60Gb PS3 : 1TB External : YDL 6.1 : Gnome : 42" LCD : Sound Bar : Daytona 675 :
lernatix
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby ppietro » 20 Dec 2008, 01:29

lernatix wrote:It's still not out.

Thats it i'm resorting to torrents.

[grumpy old man mode="on"]

I just don't understand. Why is everyone so impatient for this? I could understand people being upset if they had a subscription - but this is a free public download. IMHO, nothing significant is going to change in your life if you have to wait an extra day or so. YDL 6.1 is coming - they're not going to take it away from you. Fixstars has told us they're having an issue with their servers - and they're working on it and it will be resolved shortly.

They're being more than generous by providing us a free version anyway. RedHat gave up that pricing model with RHEL a long time ago.

Sheesh.... :lol:

[/grumpy]

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ramarvin » 20 Dec 2008, 05:55

Ha, Ha,

@ppietro

Never been impatient before :wink: ?

Like most I work in the I.T. world and I'm never surprised when something isn't delivered on the initial stated delivery date ..

But I wouldn't mind getting my hands on it before Xmas kicks and the children wont to use the PS3 for something else (playing there new games).

Eagerly awaiting
Raemarvin 8)
ramarvin
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ukee1593 » 20 Dec 2008, 06:41

Hi folks
the wait is over for YDL 6.1 as it has recently arrived on ftp://mirror.anl.gov/pub/yellodog
happy downloading
Luke
ukee1593
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Downloads