Youtube doest work (any downloads i need to get it to work?)

useful downloads: kernel, sources, packages, etc.

Youtube doest work (any downloads i need to get it to work?)

Postby wudafux » 27 May 2009, 22:25

so i went to youtube and tried to have it work but it doesnt work. I went to about:plugins and it only shows the jave 6 that i installed to play runescape and other java games. i would really apreciated it someone could tell me what i need to download if anything or how to get it to work. =) thanx in advance
wudafux
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Re: Youtube doest work (any downloads i need to get it to work?)

Postby ppietro » 28 May 2009, 00:39

wudafux wrote:so i went to youtube and tried to have it work but it doesnt work. I went to about:plugins and it only shows the jave 6 that i installed to play runescape and other java games. i would really apreciated it someone could tell me what i need to download if anything or how to get it to work. =) thanx in advance

YouTube won't work directly - there is no Adobe Flash for PowerPC Linux. :(

Since Adobe Flash is closed source - there's no direct replacement either. There are two open source teams working on reverse engineering Flash from its specifications - gnash & swfdec - but both are fairly bloated and slow.

Several folks around this forum have a workaround. You can either use a Firefox plugin called Download Helper to save the YouTube videos to your hard drive - which is what I do - or use mplayer plugin per this post:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4439&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Downloads