My experience with YD on mac mini

Architecture specific questions.

My experience with YD on mac mini

Postby cone83 » 28 Mar 2005, 16:38

I recently installed yellow dog on my brand new mac mini. On yellowdog.com they claim that the mac mini is offically supported (except for the sound card and modem) but I got lots of troubles getting it working:

First, the graphical installation didn't work. As soon as the X server started I just got a black screen. So I made a text mode installation that worked quite well. When booting the new system, again the X server didn't work (gave me some strange flickering screen) and when trying to switch back to the console I just got a black screen again. After I managed to disable the framebuffer X misteriously started correctly in a resolution of 640x480 (the only resolution I could choose during install). So I started the display configuration tool, manually selected the Radeon 9200 graphics card and chose a 1024x768 resolution, restarted X and again just got a flickering screen. After spending several hours I found a working configuration by editing the X11 config file by hand. Finally it looked like I got everything working, so I started the package manager and tried to install some additional packages. When trying to install new packages the package manager always claimed that the packages I wanted to install (actually it thinks it for every package available) are on disk one although they were not, which resulted always in an installation error. When trying to choose the "Preferences" menu item nothing happens.

So far I'm pretty disappointed in yellow dog linux. Maybe the X server and framebuffer problems result of my monitor but at least the package manager should work. Did anybody have similar experiences?

Cone
cone83
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby StarKnight83 » 28 Mar 2005, 18:34

the gui package manager has been broken for quite some time (afaik)-id recommend using the cli "yum" as it gives you more options and is as easy to use as the gui
Til our paths cross again
StarKnight83

Postby rgbm3 » 29 Mar 2005, 01:32

I had the same exact problems but I gave up after trying safe install.
If you would be so kind as to post what changes you made to xconfig or any other changes you made I will give the text mode install a shot. I have ydl running nicely on my g5 dual (but with out sound "hint hint") so I would be great to get the mini up and talking to the g5.
Thanks again
(':roll:')
rgbm3
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby cone83 » 06 Apr 2005, 19:20

Here are the relevant parts of my Configuration. I think you might have to change the monitor section.

Code: Select all
Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        ModelName    "Monitor 1024x768"
        HorizSync    30.0 - 85.0
        VertRefresh  50.0 - 160.0
        Option      "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Card0"
        Driver      "radeon"
        Option      "AGPMode" "4"