Video Drivers

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Video Drivers

Postby OpTiCz » 29 Nov 2006, 21:26

Anyone know if there will be video drivers for the PS3 that support Open GL?
OpTiCz
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby kamika » 29 Nov 2006, 23:43

haha, that was a good one :lol:

Officially not. From what I've heard Sony does not want this because this would allow third party/different operating system games to be played.

Just imagine, running YDL 5.0 with this high end graphics performance, nice eh?
You could play whatever OpenGl game you want, therefor not buying PS3 games.

So this is a pure marketing and business decision. No 3d acceleration for Linux on PS3.

But unofficially... there might be a hack some time in the future.

There's also a thread on the YDL mailinglist:
http://lists.terrasoftsolutions.com/pip ... 20793.html
kamika
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JoeVolcano » 16 Dec 2006, 00:02

PS3 uses a Hybrid G70 chip from Nvidia. The trick is trying to figure out where its hiding! There is also a slow thread on Nvidia Linux forums regarding this as well. http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthr ... laystation

To date nobody has been able to get the PS3 G70 Graphics Chip beyond Frame Buffer mode under Linux.

Personaly I think the PS3 is a waste of man hours getting that working when there are cheaper MiniITX Linux solutions to turn your television into a KickA$$ home theater PC!
JoeVolcano
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby thedevilsjester » 16 Dec 2006, 00:38

JoeVolcano wrote:PS3 uses a Hybrid G70 chip from Nvidia. The trick is trying to figure out where its hiding! There is also a slow thread on Nvidia Linux forums regarding this as well. http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthr ... laystation

To date nobody has been able to get the PS3 G70 Graphics Chip beyond Frame Buffer mode under Linux.

Personaly I think the PS3 is a waste of man hours getting that working when there are cheaper MiniITX Linux solutions to turn your television into a KickA$$ home theater PC!

Really? And do these cheaper solutions also include BluRay players? If not then thats not much of a home theater. :)

Just imagine, running YDL 5.0 with this high end graphics performance, nice eh?
You could play whatever OpenGl game you want, therefor not buying PS3 games.

And what OpenGL games would that be? Cant be any PC based OpenGL games because those are x86 (you know, Intel/AMD), and even Wine/Cedega cant play those because the PS3 is Cell/PPC64. So you must be talking about the very low quality (with few exceptions) free opensource opengl games for Linux. And believe me, not even the best one(s) can outdo a PS3 title.

I think Sony and nVidia will eventually release some video drivers, they did say that they wanted us to be able to develop games and such on OtherOS. ("Other than game studios tied to official developer licenses, we'd like to see various individuals participate in content creation for the PS3.")

How could one do this without hardware support?
thedevilsjester
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Return to Playstation 3