YDL Networking Issue

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

YDL Networking Issue

Postby wakeslayer » 30 Nov 2006, 00:02

someone please help. i downloaded and installed ydl fine on my ps3, but i cant get online. i am trying to connect to internet via my linksys wrt54g router. i heard ps3 built in wireless was not supported. is that true? i mean ydl 5 was designed just for ps3 so that cant be right.. someone please please help..
wakeslayer
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby sunshine » 30 Nov 2006, 03:47

It is designed for the PS3 but, it does not use the wifi connection. It only uses the ethernet port.
sunshine
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby Halaster » 30 Nov 2006, 05:35

I am wondering about this also. It is stated right on the Yellow Dog PS3 page the following:

"*With YDL v5.0, the PS3 is fully supported with the exception of the NVIDIA graphics card (see note on Graphics). "

Fully supported includes wireless, since that is one of the main selling points of the 60GB model. :) So even though it does not use it by default, it should still be able to.

If anyone from Yellow Dog could get back to us on the driver we need to use to get Wireless working that would be great. Even someone else on the forums who might figure out how to get it working.

It is a Marvell Chipset, 88W8580-BAN1.
HAHAHAhahahahahahahahaha.
Halaster
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby wakeslayer » 30 Nov 2006, 05:56

yea otherwise ydl is a joke and im regretting i paid for it.... who would design something specifically for a system, and not let it use its built in wireless?
wakeslayer
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby Halaster » 30 Nov 2006, 06:23

They do not make the drivers. :)
Halaster
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby wakeslayer » 30 Nov 2006, 06:50

so for someone who doesn't kno....... is that what we need is a driver? is that something we would download and install?
wakeslayer
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby Halaster » 30 Nov 2006, 07:22

We may need to compile support into the kernel actually. I am not sure what they have compiled into the kernel by default. It may be as simple as adding a wireless adapter from their list in the network section in YDL. If so though it will not be Marvell we are using since it is not in the list at all.

That is why we need to hear from them what needs to be done, or even if it can be done at all. If it cannot be done they need to update their PS3 page and add another "*" stating that wireless is not supported.
Halaster
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby JoeVolcano » 16 Dec 2006, 00:19

I believe they did that. 802.11 is not supported in the latest build of YDL. Maybe someone can contact the 802.11 chipset manufacturer and ask them if they can assist the opensourse community in any way with regards to getting there chip working under LinuxOS. Since Sony didnt make the thing, Im sure there programers needed to talk to there help desk in order to get the needed source code to talk to there WiFi board.
JoeVolcano
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Playstation 3