Launch game from OS?

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Launch game from OS?

Postby OpTiCz » 01 Dec 2006, 17:45

How do I launch a game from the OS? If I'm not able, this is looking pretty pointless for now.
OpTiCz
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby Phoenix » 01 Dec 2006, 23:08

You can't launch PSx games via Linux. You have to switch back to the PS3 XMB.
Phoenix
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby CronoCloud » 02 Dec 2006, 00:42

Think of the GameOS and Linux as being similar to a Windows + Linux dual boot situation.
CronoCloud

Postby thedevilsjester » 15 Dec 2006, 00:26

From what I read when Sony officially announced allowing Linux to run on the PS3, that it will/does have the capability to launch a game from OtherOS.

Maybe Sony hasnt given the info on this yet, or maybe the idea was scrapped.

As for the comment that it seems pointless without launching capabilities, thats just bull. As of right now my PS3 is being used as a second PC more than its being used as an actual PS3. I have some font issues that need worked out, but after that, the PS3 will replace the PC's in my house.

Although sony needs to have a Grub'ish bootloader when your PS3 starts up that lets you choose GameOS or OtherOS (because the method of switching right now is a pain).
thedevilsjester
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby dLp » 15 Dec 2006, 16:14

thedevilsjester wrote:From what I read when Sony officially announced allowing Linux to run on the PS3, that it will/does have the capability to launch a game from OtherOS.

where in the world did you hear that? thats absolutely INSANE. sony would never allow that, or say that. the moment they allowed any of their games to run in an open platform and environment, piracy would shoot through the roof to an extent that they would go straight out of business. ive kept an eye on this since late 2005 when the idea was first being mentioned, and never saw anything of the sort.
ps3 + ydl = FTW
dLp
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby JoeVolcano » 16 Dec 2006, 00:22

*cough*
M A M E
*cough* *cough*
MAME Advance.
*cough* *wink* *cough* *cough*
JoeVolcano
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby thedevilsjester » 16 Dec 2006, 00:31

dLp wrote:
thedevilsjester wrote:From what I read when Sony officially announced allowing Linux to run on the PS3, that it will/does have the capability to launch a game from OtherOS.

where in the world did you hear that? thats absolutely INSANE. sony would never allow that, or say that. the moment they allowed any of their games to run in an open platform and environment, piracy would shoot through the roof to an extent that they would go straight out of business. ive kept an eye on this since late 2005 when the idea was first being mentioned, and never saw anything of the sort.

You are a bit misguided :wink: if you think that allowing a game to be run through linux would help piracy in any shape or form.

First, they can already rip PS3 games using Linux, so launching games from OtherOS isnt going to give any exploit to do this, since its already done. If nVidia drivers are created (by either us, or them), then it would be a simple matter to take a 'wine' approch to emulating the PS3 games on the PS3. (Just like we do now with windows games on linux). And this is without the 'native' ability to run PS3 games.

Second, from what I read GameOS is still (in a kernelish form) running when OtherOS is running, this was further backed up by Sonys statement that 32MB of RAM is _Always_ reserved for the GameOS. So all it would take is a system call to GameOS (from OtherOS), which launches the PS3 game just like normal, (maybe with suspend to disk for the OtherOS), and just resume OtherOS when the game ends.

If the GameOS is not truly running in the background, it would not be difficult for Sony to provide a closed source lib that can do the same thing. (I.E. just tell the PS3 to Boot Game Like Normal).

No where in there is there any piracy helper. The lib or function isnt loading the game, its telling the PS3 to do what it does normally.

Now Sony may or may not do this, but it is not in any way an insecure option as long as the OtherOS has been completely suspended/hibernated before the PS3 will launch a game (to avoid any possible 'mounting PS3 isos as drives' effect, or copying the game into memory or any other such functions that an OtherOS may use)
thedevilsjester
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Return to Playstation 3