what im trying to do....

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

what im trying to do....

Postby dLp » 05 Dec 2006, 17:46

im not exactly new to linux in general, but am rusty. i left redhat some 5 years ago or so in favor of a mac. havent looked back since.

then comes along the ps3.... and with the ability to run linux, i was first in line to grab both the ps3, and paid for ydl enhanced. so far, im enjoying the hell out of it. but... as with anything new, there are a few hiccups to get ironed out, or figure out how to tackle. im posting this, as im sure others are have the same questions (especially those relatively new to nix) and these are thing that i may just be out of the loop on.... or might be able to contribute some help IF i know who, where, how, etc. so far, i havent found much in the way of devel discussions to see what is getting tackled.

things that need to get tackled: video. big time. im sure im not alone... but i am hoping to turn the ps3 into a media center. wont be perfect... but close is acceptable in my book. another thing: wireless. from the sounds of it on ydl.net, they are making that a priority. so it should be along shortly. i have a nice gig network in my home though, and would hate to downgrade that to a wireless connection... so ive never used it, and dont have much of a need.

things outside of yellow dog though that im questioning.... support for flash, divx codecs, xvid codecs, etc. vlc or xine would be nice... but mplayer is ok as well, as long as we can get some codecs crammed into it. is anyone aware of anything happening on this front? flash seems to be odd though.... its running in the ps3 os, as it loads and works fine on its included browser..... yet... nothing has been mentioned elsewhere. maybe i just havent seen it though. anyone?

all in all... im excited about its potential. definitely going to be a fun box to tinker around on.
dLp
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby Halaster » 08 Dec 2006, 20:39

Not too sure what your current video issue is.

I compiled mplayer and it runs virtually everything. As long as it is not HD. Even HD video runs, but it is quite skippy.
HAHAHAhahahahahahahahaha.
Halaster
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby dLp » 08 Dec 2006, 22:32

Halaster wrote:Not too sure what your current video issue is.

I compiled mplayer and it runs virtually everything. As long as it is not HD. Even HD video runs, but it is quite skippy.

i did as well a couple of days ago. i still cant get divx or xvid encoded movies to play though. (which is 99% of my collection on the hdd)
ps3 + ydl = FTW
dLp
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby StarKnight83 » 09 Dec 2006, 01:53

for those have you tried xine (ive found that xine will most of the time play what mplayer wont - but my selection of videos may be a little limited)
Til our paths cross again
StarKnight83

Postby dLp » 09 Dec 2006, 18:44

StarKnight83 wrote:for those have you tried xine (ive found that xine will most of the time play what mplayer wont - but my selection of videos may be a little limited)

i get get xine to compile. thats what i originally attempted... and it just flat out wont go. there was a missing dependency or two that i got... and for the life of me i cant remember what they were at the moment... but it just balks everytime i attempt it.

i gave up on it thinking it just hadnt gotten that far yet. are you using it on a ps3? if so... im obviously screwing something up somewhere, and i'll have to give it another shot.

any word on adobe flash?
ps3 + ydl = FTW
dLp
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby JoeVolcano » 17 Dec 2006, 04:01

I think the ability to play video over the WiFi is going to be core when they get it working.

Can Some one post the step-by-step guide from downloading mplayer to compiling it, and installing DIVX/XVID codec's on a PS3 to be video friendly.

Since I dont have network connectivity untill the WiFi is addressed I dont know if posting a YDL proceedure on my X86 box is going to fly under teh PS3 install.

Just a suggestion that will help the PS3/YDL community, and get people up to speed quicker... :wink:
JoeVolcano
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby thedevilsjester » 17 Dec 2006, 21:44

There is no flash for PPC64, thus there is no flash for YDL.
thedevilsjester
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Return to Playstation 3