installing programs

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Postby thedevilsjester » 29 Dec 2006, 22:10

UnReal-4-Life wrote:
thedevilsjester wrote:I really dont know how I could explain it any clearer.

I am assuming you have basic computer knowledge because you did manage to navigate to these forums, sign up, and post a question.

With that in mind, I assume you know how to extract a compressed file into a folder of your choice. You wouldnt get very far even using Windows if you didnt know how to do this.

If the above assumptions are not correct, then go, learn how thats done, and come back....:shock: ....

Wow you are a real jerk dude. Ive been working with PC computers for years and now I'm learning linux too and I'm a super "Linux" newbie also. Every little bit of info helps. Linux is not really user friendly its more for PowerUsers. But sence it came out for PS3 I thought I would start to learn just for fun and see what becomes of it. If I had to learn linux from you I wouldn't do it.

Now thedevilsjester go play on the highway and when your done come back and I will reexplain. :twisted:

Wow, what a child. Grow up, please.

As for my post, my original post explained it pretty well to anyone with the most basic computer skills, extract the files, and copy&paste what I typed. My eight year old could figure it out from those instructions.

Since this guy couldn't figure it out, I had to therefore assume that he is either 'less intelligent' than an eight year old child, or just playing dumb, the later most likely the case, anyone who can figureout how to get Linux setup on the PS3, probably knows how to extract files into a folder, and copy&paste a simple line of text, so him saying that he still couldnt figure it out (without providing any details about what part he doesnt understand, or where he is stuck at), means that he simply didnt try.
Last edited by thedevilsjester on 31 Dec 2006, 07:51, edited 1 time in total.
thedevilsjester
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby Spencer88 » 31 Dec 2006, 06:10

but the original problem still hasn't been addressed..when he tries to install anything he gets an error..which should not happen because he is on a network right? what is causing this error?
Spencer88
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby thedevilsjester » 31 Dec 2006, 07:32

Spencer88 wrote:but the original problem still hasn't been addressed..when he tries to install anything he gets an error..which should not happen because he is on a network right? what is causing this error?

Ok, from the little he gave us to go on, I can only assume that this is the already discussed issue of non YDL Enhanced users trying to use the YDL Enhanced yum servers. Since the only way to have YDL 5.0 right now is through a YDL Enhanced account, there should be no problem here, unless he doesnt have such an account which means he needs to wait until the public yum servers are opened.

Assuming the above is not correct (that he is indeed a YDL Enhanced member) give me more information on the error (full log please) and I might be able to figureout what is going wrong.

I am not really a redhat/fedora/rpm/yum fan personally. Normally, given the choice, I wouldnt touch them with a ten foot pole. So most of my experience with these systems is limited to playing around with YDL, so I may be way off on my guess.
Last edited by thedevilsjester on 31 Dec 2006, 07:38, edited 1 time in total.
thedevilsjester
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby flavindapple » 01 Jan 2007, 22:51

i have found out i was on the enhanced version without an account. but now i am using a public mirror version and the same thing is happening. am i supposed to configure yum on the public also and if so how.
flavindapple
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby thedevilsjester » 02 Jan 2007, 00:57

There was a topic about broken yum setup, you might check
http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/suppo ... /yum.shtml
for an answer
thedevilsjester
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby Spencer88 » 02 Jan 2007, 04:29

thedevilsjester wrote:There was a topic about broken yum setup, you might check
for an answer

have you read what is on the page that you linked to? or the post that it is an answer to? because that is a fix that works if you have an enhanced account..which in case you missed it he is running the free distro..
Spencer88
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby thedevilsjester » 02 Jan 2007, 04:41

Spencer88 wrote:
for an answer

have you read what is on the page that you linked to? or the post that it is an answer to? because that is a fix that works if you have an enhanced account..which in case you missed it he is running the free distro..

First, let me get this out of the way, I hate RPM, yum and fedora. So I would have no reason to visit that help page on my own. I was also not aware that there would be any difference in yum setup for an enhanced account vs a public account, except for the names of the servers (and of course password), because of the minimal difference between the two, I had figured that public or enhanced would be the same solution, as it is the same software.

If it is not, instead of pointing out that it is not, why not link to a better page?
thedevilsjester
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby Spencer88 » 02 Jan 2007, 04:46

thedevilsjester wrote:
Spencer88 wrote:
for an answer

First, let me get this out of the way, I hate RPM, yum and fedora. So I would have no reason to visit that help page on my own. I was also not aware that there would be any difference in yum setup for an enhanced account vs a public account, except for the names of the servers (and of course password), because of the minimal difference between the two, I had figured that public or enhanced would be the same solution, as it is the same software.

If it is not, instead of pointing out that it is not, why not link to a better page?

You mean link to a page that might actually be helpful, that is a great idea, I will do that as soon as I find one.
Spencer88
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby F-Man » 02 Jan 2007, 04:53

I had that problem too and that page helped me, once the public mirrors opened up.

Just replace http://USERNAME:PASSWORD@www.ydl.net/do ... /enhanced/ with http://ftp.yellowdoglinux.com/pub/yellowdog/ in all three files. Also make sure you removed the hash before baseurl and put it before mirrorlist instead.

Once that's done, you should be able to do a "yum list updates" which does a bunch of stuff, I presume it updates your system. :P

After having done that, pup started working for me also.
F-Man
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby thedevilsjester » 02 Jan 2007, 05:24

Actually 'yum list update' does nothing except give you a list of software that has updates available (according to its list) it doesnt actually update them. To do that you would type 'yum update' (for everything) or 'yum update <packagename>' for a individual package.

Now if it works similar to apt or portage, this list needs to be updated on occasion, and from the looks of it, that command is 'yum check-update'
thedevilsjester
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Previous

Return to Playstation 3