Need some help here.

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Need some help here.

Postby mhornet18 » 17 Dec 2006, 12:47

Ok...so I don't have a PS3 or yellow dog linux, but I've used linux before. I was helping a friend out of state install this on his PS3 and we got up to the part where it tells him to login and stuff and he does, but nothing.

Is it because he's booting up with ydltext? From what I read he needs to change the default settings for his monitor/tv to work correctly. Correct? Also when in this mode it's asking for his ip address and other things. Shouldn't this auto configure?

Thanks in advance for any help.
mhornet18
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby thedevilsjester » 17 Dec 2006, 21:42

But nothing?

You mean it 'doesnt magically goto a GUI' and he is in a bash shell? Thats a far cry from 'nothing'.

Yes it is doing that because he used ydltext, read: ydltext. He is choosing to boot up the OS in text mode, therefore he gets textmode.

If its the screen going completely blank and the signal being lost to the TV, this would be because ydl switched the output to the HDMI port on the PS3, so if thats not hooked up to anything, then you are SOL.

Now, there is a method to get it to run on a SDTV, but your resolution will be so big that it makes the OS nearly unusable.
thedevilsjester
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Return to Playstation 3