I need plugins

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

I need plugins

Postby geterman » 24 Dec 2006, 23:24

Hello everyone. I am new to linux and I need to know how and where to get plugins for this thing. I can't do anything except surf the net with this thing. Please help me. Need plugins for Real, Flash, Wine, Totem.
geterman
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby thedevilsjester » 28 Dec 2006, 02:34

Flash and Wine are both out of the question. This is a PPC64 architecture as such Wine wont function and Flash has no release for it.

All you can do is surf the net? Really? You must have a different YDL installed than I do. I can write documents, draw graphics, manipulate images, play music/videos/dvds, check email, write software, play games, design webpages, download software, and much much more, and oh yeah I can also browse the web.
thedevilsjester
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby UnReal-4-Life » 29 Dec 2006, 06:55

thedevilsjester wrote:Flash and Wine are both out of the question. This is a PPC64 architecture as such Wine wont function and Flash has no release for it.

All you can do is surf the net? Really? You must have a different YDL installed than I do. I can write documents, draw graphics, manipulate images, play music/videos/dvds, check email, write software, play games, design webpages, download software, and much much more, and oh yeah I can also browse the web.

:evil: ="thedevilsjester" does it make you feel better to talk down to people in this community. Give people a chance to learn and ask questions so they can learn. I learn by reading others questions and see what the replys say. Your reply is negative and cold. Be cool not cold and rude.

YDL can not get good linux users if people like thedevilsjester are here to shot them down. They will go elsewhere to ask the question. Thats not good. I want to see this grow. It should not be a place to pick on YDL newbies. :(
UnReal-4-Life
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby zetsurin » 29 Dec 2006, 09:56

UnReal-4-Life wrote: :evil: ="thedevilsjester" does it make you feel better to talk down to people in this community. Give people a chance to learn and ask questions so they can learn. I learn by reading others questions and see what the replys say. Your reply is negative and cold. Be cool not cold and rude.

YDL can not get good linux users if people like thedevilsjester are here to shot them down. They will go elsewhere to ask the question. Thats not good. I want to see this grow. It should not be a place to pick on YDL newbies. :(

Don't you think you are being just a little melodramatic there? I dont think he was talking down at all simply explaining all the positive things that YDL can currently do which is more than I think the original poster realised.
zetsurin
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby thedevilsjester » 29 Dec 2006, 22:26

UnReal-4-Life, anyone as computer...savvy as our friend there, who can only find the web browser in a huge full featured OS, will NOT make a 'good linux user' no matter how you answer his questions.

Yet answer his questions I did, and then told him, in so many words, to go back and look at the OS without preconceptions.

I want to see this grow too, but thinking in terms of a garden, I want flowers and plants, not weeds.
thedevilsjester
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby Conflict » 30 Dec 2006, 04:02

UnReal-4-Life, I agree with you. He was being a wiseguy. That’s expected though, no real problem there considering he did suggest that he return to the os shell and brush up in "so many words". However deterring new linux users away by intimidation regardless of their user knowledge is egotistical and self centered. :roll:

"but thinking in terms of a garden" hmmm :roll: An advanced linux garden. Cool. I guess I would worry about getting rid of weeds too. However weeds are not the only nuisances in a garden. The moral of my point is we are all here to learn regardless of our user levels. Negative comments only make people feel good but look less intelligent. In so many words. :roll:
Conflict
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby thedevilsjester » 30 Dec 2006, 07:10

Someone who was here to learn would say "Can someone please explain to me where I can access other software than the webbrowser in this OS?"

Someone who is here to troll would say "All I can do is browse the web in this thing".

I can tell you, right away, from experience what kind of Linux user that person is. He is the kind that would rather use Windows except Windows wont work on the PS3. Linux ill needs users of that flavor.
thedevilsjester
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby Sarlac » 31 Dec 2006, 10:58

I for one am tired of the negativity here. I need help with some things like enabling mp3 playback. installing mplayer. etc...

I am a seasoned pc user. but sadly a linux ubernoob.
This place should be a welcoming environment for people like me.

@thedevilsjester, my ydl install will not play videos or mp3 files at all.
If your will then you have clearly installed codecs, and other programs that are most likely manually compiled.

think back to your day one experiences with linux, learning to compile crap, work with the command line, etc.

These things take a little time to master.

So, now that i've gotten all of that out of my system, i'd like to reask the question from teh start of this thread.

Do any of you have info (that you are willing to share) on how to install mplayer for instance and all the needed codecs for mp3, divx, xvid, wmv, mov, mpeg, etc etc etc...?
Sarlac
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby F-Man » 31 Dec 2006, 14:30

Sarlac wrote:Do any of you have info (that you are willing to share) on how to install mplayer for instance and all the needed codecs for mp3, divx, xvid, wmv, mov, mpeg, etc etc etc...?

I would like to ask the same thing, and maybe how to play DVDs as well, as I couldn't find a plugin for Totem or Helix player.
F-Man
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby thedevilsjester » 31 Dec 2006, 19:41

Sarlac wrote:@thedevilsjester, my ydl install will not play videos or mp3 files at all.
If your will then you have clearly installed codecs, and other programs that are most likely manually compiled.

You are overstating things. I bet you that you _can_ watch many video formats in YDL. You may not be able to watch restricted formats, or some third party formats, but you can still watch many different video formats.

As for music, why would anyone in their right mind use MP3? Its a lesser quality, larger size, and full of patents making it illegal to run on unlicensed software, when OGG is better in every aspect and is patent free.

As a seasoned Linux user, I havent used MP3 in many, many years.

That being said, the software package you need to run restricted codecs and dvds is win32codecs and libdvdcss2. You will not find that on any of these servers because its illegal in most of the world.

Off the top of my head I dont know what you need to play MP3s.
thedevilsjester
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby F-Man » 31 Dec 2006, 20:43

thedevilsjester wrote:
Sarlac wrote:@thedevilsjester, my ydl install will not play videos or mp3 files at all.

You are overstating things. I bet you that you _can_ watch many video formats in YDL. You may not be able to watch restricted formats, or some third party formats, but you can still watch many different video formats.

As for music, why would anyone in their right mind use MP3? Its a lesser quality, larger size, and full of patents making it illegal to run on unlicensed software, when OGG is better in every aspect and is patent free.

As a seasoned Linux user, I havent used MP3 in many, many years.

That being said, the software package you need to run restricted codecs and dvds is win32codecs and libdvdcss2. You will not find that on any of these servers because its illegal in most of the world.

Off the top of my head I dont know what you need to play MP3s.

win32codecs? What about MPEG-4 codecs and Quicktime, surely that shouldn't have anything to do with win32.

I heard that Linux should be able to use ffmpeg directly to play these kind of videos, how would you go about activating it in YDL?
F-Man
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby thedevilsjester » 31 Dec 2006, 21:08

There should be an ffmpeg package in the yum repositories, I havent researched it yet, I play all my music and videos on the XMB (because of an issue I have with YDL on 1080i) but I know that in *Ubuntu flavors, the ffmpeg is in their apt repositories.
thedevilsjester
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby F-Man » 31 Dec 2006, 22:10

Thanks for the help. I have installed ffmpeg-0.4.9-3.pre1.6941.1mdv2007.1.ppc.rpm (and all other RPMs needed for it), but still can't see an XVID video in Totem. I have also installed libdvdcss2-1.2.8-3plf.ppc.rpm but Totem still asks for a plugin to play a DVD movie.

If I remember how I installed Snes9x correctly, all you should have to do is type "rpm -ivh file.rpm" right? And do this for other RPMs it asks for until it properly installs. If I missed a step, please say so.
F-Man
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby thedevilsjester » 31 Dec 2006, 23:19

F-Man wrote:Thanks for the help. I have installed ffmpeg-0.4.9-3.pre1.6941.1mdv2007.1.ppc.rpm (and all other RPMs needed for it), but still can't see an XVID video in Totem. I have also installed libdvdcss2-1.2.8-3plf.ppc.rpm but Totem still asks for a plugin to play a DVD movie.

If I remember how I installed Snes9x correctly, all you should have to do is type "rpm -ivh file.rpm" right? And do this for other RPMs it asks for until it properly installs. If I missed a step, please say so.

AFAIK xvid in totem requires the xvid package, not ffmpeg.

Assuming the RPM was compiled and packaged for PPC64 then it should install like that yes. The whole reason apt and yum were created though, is to prevent the need for that dependancy hell in which you speak. Sometimes you have to install 20-30 packages just to get that one package to install, if you do this manually its a PITA.

I would check to see if there is a yum repository for fedora 64 bit, that contains the snes emulator (many apt and portage repositories carry this, so its not too much to ask), and install it that way.
thedevilsjester
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby StarKnight83 » 05 Jan 2007, 04:47

Im going to lock down this thread b/c its turning into trollbait. As much as i hate to chastise someone who has some extensive experience thedevilsjester please watch the tone of your posts

As for the rest, please dont antagonize fellow patrons of the board.
Til our paths cross again
StarKnight83

Next

Return to Playstation 3