wait! Yum?

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

wait! Yum?

Postby flavindapple » 02 Jan 2007, 03:59

i have the public version now and i read somewhere that yum downloads the contents and installs things on the computer automatically. however when i tried to install a snes emulator that is compatible with yellow dog 5 it is saying the same thing as it was before (see other posts of mine). so is there a way to install an rpm manager that will install these packages correctly instead of using yum?

I'm sorry I've tried so many different things I'm new with Linux and am still learning.
so i guess my true question is how do you install programs from the Gui without getting an error. :?:
flavindapple
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby thedevilsjester » 02 Jan 2007, 04:46

RPM is bad news all around. With very little work you can install a better system, such as apt, if you can find a PPC/PPC64 apt repository. The only problem with apt is that it wont recognize your RPM database, so it will, pretty much, think you have nothing installed on your system.

If you want a better, cleaner, easier system, just hold out until a distro like Kubuntu or similar provides a PS3 version.

Or if you are skilled with Linux, you can attempt the Gentoo PS3 walkthrough, portage beats yum and apt hands down (when it works ;p)
thedevilsjester
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby F-Man » 02 Jan 2007, 04:59

I have found that yum doesn't have most RPMs I need anyway, but there are two other ways to get the RPMs you need in YDLs.

First one is, get one in Firefox, and open it with the default Program manager (that's the GUI option). Other than that, you can use the terminal and type "rpm -ivh file.rpm". Make sure you're in the same directory where you put the RPM (default is /root/). If your RPM is on the root desktop, type "cd Desktop" to go there.
F-Man
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby jerryyyyy » 02 Jan 2007, 18:57

Does the public version allow Yum? I heard that you have to purchase their pay for version. If so, this is a lost effort.

Has anyone tried and failed to install fedora 5 or 6? Those versions have Yum working just fine and free.
jerryyyyy
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby F-Man » 02 Jan 2007, 20:47

jerryyyyy wrote:Does the public version allow Yum? I heard that you have to purchase their pay for version. If so, this is a lost effort.

Has anyone tried and failed to install fedora 5 or 6? Those versions have Yum working just fine and free.

It does allow yum, if you point the yum config files to a public server.
F-Man
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby jerryyyyy » 03 Jan 2007, 00:51

Thnaks. I'll check a Fedora install to get the configuration.
jerryyyyy
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Return to Playstation 3