How do you mount windows shares?

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

How do you mount windows shares?

Postby youareme7 » 02 Jan 2007, 06:15

I have been on a crusade to play my videos and music from my windows computer on the ps3 with ydl. I'm currently at the point right now that I have Mplayer and it can play xvid videos, although there's no video scaling, so right now it's just a fixed size. (usually too small to be worthwhile on the big tv)

However, the goal was to access videos from the windows computer in the other room. I know I can use Nautilus to get to my shares, but that doesn't help in trying to play video from Mplayer. My question is, how can you mount a windows share to a standard directory such as /mnt/computer . I've tried updating Samba so that I can use smbmount to mount it, but smbmount is no-where to be found. Using "mount -t smbfs" gives an error as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
youareme7
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby Powie » 02 Jan 2007, 13:43

Well please don't think I'm being rude, but you might try http://www.samba.org. I did notice that YDL didn't seem to have the samba services installed, only the client. Not sure if you need the full samba package installed. I've never used samba for mounting windows shares, but I have shares mapped to my Windows box from my linux server (not YDL). Perhaps in the future once I work out some issues with YDL.
Powie
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby youareme7 » 02 Jan 2007, 15:32

Thanks for the speedy tip. I did try using the source found at www.samba.org. It still didn't install smbmount, but luckily I figured out a way to still mount the drive. I just used "mount" with no extra arguments, and used the ip address of my computer (eg. 192.168.0.2) instead of the computer name and I was able to mount the shares I wanted. For anyone else that may have trouble, my syntax was as follows:

mount //192.168.0.2/myshare /mnt/myshare -o username=myusername,password=mypassword

all of that on 1 line with no wrap, replacing the ip with my computer's local ip and myusername and mypassword with my actual username and password. Also, make sure you have a directory such as "/mnt/myshare" or whatever, if there's no directory the share will fail to mount (eg. "mount" will not create a directory)

Maybe no one will need this help, but it couldn't hurt.
youareme7
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby jerryyyyy » 02 Jan 2007, 18:55

Hi,

Have just joined the forum and have run a few Linux systems. Another pitfall of Samba is that demons may not run right or automatically. I believe there are two.

I have to mess some with my system tonight as i have to move my router to make an Ethernet connection. Wireless looks impossible with this (and is very difficult with Fedora anyhow).
jerryyyyy
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Return to Playstation 3