fstab

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

fstab

Postby jerryyyyy » 03 Jan 2007, 01:00

Is there a way to mount the game side of the PS3? I set aside 10MB for YDL just to see how it installs, but this may not be the way to go if you want the game side to access media, or can you simnply not get access to the game side?
jerryyyyy
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby thedevilsjester » 03 Jan 2007, 04:19

There is no known way, Sony takes great pains to prevent this, so unless some genius hacker finds a way, then its doubtful.

Now, I havent tried it yet, but I think you can access a USB hard drive from the PS3 GameOS. If you can, then you can have that as a "go between" drive where both Linux and the PS3 store and access media files.

Worst case scenario you can use a memory stick in the built in memory stick drives, as a go between, assuming you didnt go cheap and buy the lesser version. Although if you plan for a lot of media storage (multiple GB's), then this would not be a good way to go.

It would be nice though if the PS3 GameOS could access networked drives...
thedevilsjester
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby jerryyyyy » 03 Jan 2007, 17:40

Thanks... I doubted they were giving away the ranch....

Having done a lot of Linux installs with dual systems a major issue is the disk partitioning strategy at the outset. If you can only get a 10GB YDL disk, you are going to need a lot of storage elsewhere.

I believe they left in the manual set-up in YDL installation, but not sure if it allows changing partition size.

Hopefully I will have the time to research this and copy my old fstab files, but we should try to make a sticky with fstab setting for common mounting problems.

For newbies, fstab is in /etc/fstab and is the fs=file system tab=table... it lists everything that is mounted at start-up.

Tonight I am going to try to mount a usb drive with all my audio on it.

BTW, another key issue is that Linux does not like NTFS and prefers Fat32 for read/writes.... long story.

For those learning Linux/UNIX the other key file is inittab, initialization table... and /etc/X11... .conf, which the graphics configurations hide. This is usually a nightmare and a good reason to use their install if it works.

Would not mess with any of these X11 files unless you know what's up. If you do, the trick is to set the init level to 3 from 5 in the initab file and it will come up in text mode, then you can type startx and it will go to graphics mode and you can see if your changes took ok.
jerryyyyy
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby thedevilsjester » 04 Jan 2007, 00:40

You can mount a USB drive in YDL, thats not an issue, but having it accessable from GameOS might be. I have yet to try this. But if you dont want a go between, just a larger storage space for YDL, then yeah a USB drive will be perfect.
thedevilsjester
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby Calzonie » 04 Jan 2007, 08:04

I'm using a 320gb usb2 drive without any issues.

sr0 blu-ray
sda1 /boot
sda2 /
sda3 swap?
sdb ramdsk?
sdc ?
sdd sdcard?
sde ?
sdf1 my 320gb usb
sg ? ---sg2 looks interesting
Calzonie
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby jerryyyyy » 05 Jan 2007, 02:38

No problem with usbkey or with a big usb drive or with a CD data image [manually]. In Fedora there is a setting to autoplay... not here it seems. Here is my fstab for reference:

LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults 1 1
LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
devpts /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
spufs /spu spufs defaults 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
LABEL=SWAP-sda3 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/sdf1 /mnt/usbkey vfat defaults 0 0
/dev/sdg1 /mnt/usbdrive ntfs defaults 0 0
jerryyyyy
ydl beginner