upgrading mesa

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

upgrading mesa

Postby bram » 06 Jan 2007, 12:32

Hi there,

Yellow Dog Linux is running happily on my ps/3 (20G JPN) now. Great work guys!

I want to do some un-accelerated OpenGL using GLX.

This is currently not possible, due to failed assertions in __indirect_glTexCoordPointer

I checked Mesa3d.org, and it is a known bug in the 6.4.x series.
It was fixed in the 6.5 series.

Can someone point me to a place where I can get ppc RPMs for newer Mesa stuff?

If possible, I would really like to avoid building my own xserver, dri, glx, libGL, etc, etc.

I have a Debian/UIbuntu background, where this kind of thing was handled by selecting a different APT source, and going to unstable tree. Is there something similar for yellow dog?

thx

Bram
bram
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby jerryyyyy » 06 Jan 2007, 20:57

I tried all my old libraries and none worked. I have tried to get Yum working but failed. Have you got Yum working? If so I have used freeglut with good sucess in the past without loading mesa unless you need the .h files sometimes. Mayb e you can get the rightfiles through yum?

I am dead in the water with this distro because I cannot find freeglut that is specific for ydl.... there are specific ones for Fedora Core 6 etc . I did not even try mesa.

Usual place to look is a spot called sourceforge.
jerryyyyy
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby bram » 06 Jan 2007, 22:55

jerryyyyy wrote:I have tried to get Yum working but failed. Have you got Yum working?

Yes, I just removed the # chars from the files in the /etc/yum.repos.d directory.

Then I could use yum.

However, now I have hosed my installation by forcibly adding FC packages (glibc stuff) onto the ydl install. I think I will try a fedora install from scratch now.

bram
bram
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby jerryyyyy » 07 Jan 2007, 03:50

I am now reinstalling ydl because I could not get rid of my freeglut rpm installs... which were newer than what ydl installs... could not backtrack!

I am afraid there is bad news: no hardware acceleration available for this box:

http://www.yellowdog-board.com/viewtopic.php?t=1482

Keep in contact. Perhaps Fedora can work around this. I have it running OpenGl on a Dell M90 (flight simulation work). I use the NVIDIA drivers to get the acceleration in Fedora 5. I have no idea if you can get drivers for this puppy. I wanted to see how fast it would run the simulation, but looks like all for nothing. I have heard at least one person has installed it on a PS3... but it was an epic journey.

PS I have looked into the FC5 install and they do not look any worse than YDL, but I have no leads on OpenGL drivers.
jerryyyyy
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Return to Playstation 3