Games that work well in YDL on PS3

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Postby Efaustus9 » 09 May 2008, 15:46

Is any one aware of the wahcade front end for linux. came accross this youtube video;

http://youtube.com/watch?v=d5yNmizbwdI

and it seem pretty cool I did a quick google search and found this;

http://www.freshports.org/emulators/wahcade

I dont have much time right now to give it a look but I figured it may interest some here. I like the fact that it gives mednafen a gui and condenses all you emu's into one convenient package.
Efaustus9

Postby billb » 09 May 2008, 17:46

Efaustus9 wrote:Is any one aware of the wahcade front end for linux. came accross this youtube video;

http://youtube.com/watch?v=d5yNmizbwdI

and it seem pretty cool I did a quick google search and found this;

http://www.freshports.org/emulators/wahcade

I dont have much time right now to give it a look but I figured it may interest some here. I like the fact that it gives mednafen a gui and condenses all you emu's into one convenient package.

I saw that video link posted by zerojay on the sdlmame forum ... maybe he would offer some suggestions on setting it up. I haven't tried it myself but it looks nice. :D
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby zerojay » 09 May 2008, 20:34

Indeed, I plan on doing exactly that... and I'm planning on including all my configuration files, everything you need to set up Wahcade the way I have it and so on. I'm not quite happy with everything yet, but once I will, you can expect a package.

In the meantime, I'll be more than happy to help anyone set it up for themselves or answer any questions you may have.

I started this as a post on another forum I'm a part of... so here's what I said there... hopefully this will clarify the why's and so on... and give you pointers to some of the resources I used.

Hey guys.

Like a lot of you probably did, I had my original Xbox modded so that I could run tons of emulators and games on it. Nothing quite like having all your games on your TV on the same system, huh?

Well, I started to miss that functionality when I moved to the PS3 and I started a somewhat long-term project to get myself a nice interface with pretty much all the games I could ever want. So I'm going to document my work on this so far and hopefully I can fulfill my vision here and maybe help you guys do the same.

My Linux PC is pretty much set up the way I'd like to have my PS3 working eventually. I've got Wahcade (a Linux clone of Mamewah) running on my PC using these great layouts for each system (game list on the left, previews on the right). I also went and bought 8 DVDs worth of game previews for almost every system ever made. Most of them feature about 30 seconds to 2 minutes of gameplay followed by the title screen. So when you are scrolling through the list of games, you'll see screenshots but when you stop on a game for 2 seconds, a preview will play. Not bad.

At this point, I've got about 8 emulators setup on my PC with all the games ever made for each of them. The emulators start up full screen and once quit return to the front end. This is exactly how I want it to work on my PS3 except that I want the ROMs and previews to all be hosted on my PC instead of the meager 10GB partition on my PS3.

Yesterday, I spent most of my night starting to piece together the various bits of knowledge I needed to get some stuff working. After last night, I have my PC's shares being automatically mounted on my PS3 upon booting Linux, I have the Sixaxis controller working through Bluetooth after recompiling BlueZ... however Mednafen, a multi-system emulator I plan on using quite a lot, does not seem to like the fact that almost all the buttons on the controller except Start and Select are analog. I spent most of my night attempting to recalibrate the joystick in the emulator, but I have another idea to fix that.

I got SDLMAME compiled and installed but kept getting an SDL video error. I know now what the problem is and I should have it up and running tonight. Once I have a few more emulators up and running, I'm going to move directly to getting the frontend working. I'll post some videos and pictures at some point tonight to show what I currently have and what my PC's frontend looks like to give you guys an idea of what I'd like to have.

Anyways... yeah, might be a while before I finish GTA. lol

- Progress -
[X] Install Linux (chose Yellow Dog Linux 6.0)
[X] Get wireless internet access working (works but had to switch router to WEP for the moment, back to WPA in the near future)
[X] Allow Sixaxis controller to work wirelessly (works but required patching and recompiling of Bluetooth Linux stack)
[X] Automounting of my PC's network share holding the games (done)
[X] Install Wahcade and dependencies (done, might need more gstreamer stuff installed for video previews)
[ ] Finish installing emulators and tweaking them for performance, controls, etc...
[ ] Reduce footprint of Yellow Dog Linux by turning off services, etc...
[ ] Autologin/boot directly into Wahcade

By the way, I did eventually figure out how to get around the Mednafen configuration issue with the Sixaxis. I'll explain a little later on.
zerojay
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby billb » 09 May 2008, 23:01

zerojay wrote:Indeed, I plan on doing exactly that... and I'm planning on including all my configuration files, everything you need to set up Wahcade the way I have it and so on. I'm not quite happy with everything yet, but once I will, you can expect a package.

Thanks -- looking forward to hearing more from you about this. :D
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

sdlmame error

Postby rbf351 » 10 May 2008, 19:27

when i try to run

Code: Select all
su
<root password>

yum install SDL-devel expat-devel zlib-devel libGL-devel gtk2-devel GConf2-devel

exit

i get the following

Loading "installonlyn" plugin
Setting up Install Process
Parsing package install arguments
Resolving Dependencies
--> Running transaction check
---> Package GConf2-devel.ppc 0:2.14.0-2 set to be updated
--> Processing Dependency: ORBit2-devel >= 2.8.0 for package: GConf2-devel
--> Restarting Dependency Resolution with new changes.
---> Package ORBit2-devel.ppc 0:2.14.3-2 set to be updated
--> Processing Dependency: libIDL-devel >= 0.8.2-1 for package: ORBit2-devel
--> Restarting Dependency Resolution with new changes.
---> Package libIDL-devel.ppc 0:0.8.6-2.2.1 set to be updated
--> Processing Dependency: libIDL = 0.8.6 for package: libIDL-devel
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Missing Dependency: libIDL = 0.8.6 is needed by package libIDL-devel
[root@localhost sdlmame0125]#

i then try to manually install libIDL 0.8.6, and still get the same message
rbf351
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: sdlmame error

Postby billb » 10 May 2008, 19:45

rbf351 wrote:when i try to run

su
<root password>

yum install SDL-devel expat-devel zlib-devel libGL-devel gtk2-devel GConf2-devel

exit

i get the following
<SNIP>

Double-check your repos and make sure they match what I have in the guide for YDL 6 -- see here.
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: sdlmame error

Postby rbf351 » 10 May 2008, 20:10

billb wrote:
rbf351 wrote:when i try to run

su
<root password>

exit

i get the following
<SNIP>

Double-check your repos and make sure they match what I have in the guide for YDL 6 -- see here.

that seemed to do the trick, thanks for the help. now onto the next command and wait the 45 minutes again.
rbf351
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby MarkyboyUK » 13 May 2008, 13:08

great - Looking forward to this guide/package

Thanks

zerojay wrote:Indeed, I plan on doing exactly that... and I'm planning on including all my configuration files, everything you need to set up Wahcade the way I have it and so on. I'm not quite happy with everything yet, but once I will, you can expect a package.

In the meantime, I'll be more than happy to help anyone set it up for themselves or answer any questions you may have.

I started this as a post on another forum I'm a part of... so here's what I said there... hopefully this will clarify the why's and so on... and give you pointers to some of the resources I used.

Hey guys.

Like a lot of you probably did, I had my original Xbox modded so that I could run tons of emulators and games on it. Nothing quite like having all your games on your TV on the same system, huh?

Well, I started to miss that functionality when I moved to the PS3 and I started a somewhat long-term project to get myself a nice interface with pretty much all the games I could ever want. So I'm going to document my work on this so far and hopefully I can fulfill my vision here and maybe help you guys do the same.

My Linux PC is pretty much set up the way I'd like to have my PS3 working eventually. I've got Wahcade (a Linux clone of Mamewah) running on my PC using these great layouts for each system (game list on the left, previews on the right). I also went and bought 8 DVDs worth of game previews for almost every system ever made. Most of them feature about 30 seconds to 2 minutes of gameplay followed by the title screen. So when you are scrolling through the list of games, you'll see screenshots but when you stop on a game for 2 seconds, a preview will play. Not bad.

At this point, I've got about 8 emulators setup on my PC with all the games ever made for each of them. The emulators start up full screen and once quit return to the front end. This is exactly how I want it to work on my PS3 except that I want the ROMs and previews to all be hosted on my PC instead of the meager 10GB partition on my PS3.

Yesterday, I spent most of my night starting to piece together the various bits of knowledge I needed to get some stuff working. After last night, I have my PC's shares being automatically mounted on my PS3 upon booting Linux, I have the Sixaxis controller working through Bluetooth after recompiling BlueZ... however Mednafen, a multi-system emulator I plan on using quite a lot, does not seem to like the fact that almost all the buttons on the controller except Start and Select are analog. I spent most of my night attempting to recalibrate the joystick in the emulator, but I have another idea to fix that.

I got SDLMAME compiled and installed but kept getting an SDL video error. I know now what the problem is and I should have it up and running tonight. Once I have a few more emulators up and running, I'm going to move directly to getting the frontend working. I'll post some videos and pictures at some point tonight to show what I currently have and what my PC's frontend looks like to give you guys an idea of what I'd like to have.

Anyways... yeah, might be a while before I finish GTA. lol

- Progress -
[X] Install Linux (chose Yellow Dog Linux 6.0)
[X] Get wireless internet access working (works but had to switch router to WEP for the moment, back to WPA in the near future)
[X] Allow Sixaxis controller to work wirelessly (works but required patching and recompiling of Bluetooth Linux stack)
[X] Automounting of my PC's network share holding the games (done)
[X] Install Wahcade and dependencies (done, might need more gstreamer stuff installed for video previews)
[ ] Finish installing emulators and tweaking them for performance, controls, etc...
[ ] Reduce footprint of Yellow Dog Linux by turning off services, etc...
[ ] Autologin/boot directly into Wahcade

By the way, I did eventually figure out how to get around the Mednafen configuration issue with the Sixaxis. I'll explain a little later on.
MarkyboyUK
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby Efaustus9 » 14 May 2008, 04:59

Is it possible to have both sdlmame and xmame installed on your system? I would like to test rom compatibility but I dont want to lose my sdlmame install.
Efaustus9

Postby billb » 14 May 2008, 05:08

Efaustus9 wrote:Is it possible to have both sdlmame and xmame installed on your system? I would like to test rom compatibility but I dont want to lose my sdlmame install.

Yes, no problem at all to have both.
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Efaustus9 » 29 May 2008, 16:21

looks like the developer of sdlmame is working on a NEStopia port. Has any one given it a try as of yet? It looks like it uses the SDL package so I assume :oops: it can, possibly, maybe, work in yellow dog.

http://rbelmont.mameworld.info/?page_id=200
Efaustus9

Postby billb » 29 May 2008, 16:46

Efaustus9 wrote:looks like the developer of sdlmame is working on a NEStopia port. Has any one given it a try as of yet? It looks like it uses the SDL package so I assume :oops: it can, possibly, maybe, work in yellow dog.

That one is in the Dribble repo, I believe, if you want to try it. Seems like I tried it before but had some issues.
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby arctic » 31 May 2008, 15:20

I just installed q2 lnx and I'm not sure how to map the right joystick of the sixaxis controller to look around. Can anybody help me here? The only thing that was preconfigured was the left joy stick for movement.
arctic
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 31 May 2008, 15:24

arctic wrote:I just installed q2 lnx and I'm not sure how to map the right joystick of the sixaxis controller to look around. Can anybody help me here? The only thing that was preconfigured was the left joy stick for movement.

Quake 2? Hmmm... would have to look into it. I normally use the keyboard and mouselook. Did you install from source or use my RPM?
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby arctic » 01 Jun 2008, 04:09

I used your rpm because I kept getting make errors concerning non existant includes.

edit: also, when I try to run sdlmame, if my sixaxis controller is connected to the ps3 via bluetooth or usb, when running mame, the menu continuously scrolls, as if the down arrow key is permanently depressed. This doesn't happen when the controller is off or unplugged.
arctic
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

PreviousNext

Return to Playstation 3