Games that work well in YDL on PS3

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Postby billb » 13 Feb 2008, 21:00

rich wrote:I've followed the some previous steps, then this one:

make BIGENDIAN=1 ARCHOPTS="-mpowerpc64 -mpowerpc-gfxopt -mpowerpc-gpopt -maltivec"

but the results's like this:

Compiling src/osd/sdl/sdlmain.c...
In file included from src/osd/sdl/osd_opengl.h:25,
from src/osd/sdl/window.h:19,
from src/osd/sdl/sdlmain.c:18:
src/osd/sdl/SDL1211_opengl.h:26:28: error: SDL/SDL_config.h: No such file or directory
make: *** [obj/sdl/mame/osd/sdl/sdlmain.o] Error 1

do you have any suggestions, Billb please?

If you're using YDL 5.0.x you need to add NO_OPENGL=1 to the make line, as in:

Code: Select all
make BIGENDIAN=1 NO_OPENGL=1 ARCHOPTS="-mpowerpc64 -mpowerpc-gfxopt -mpowerpc-gpopt -maltivec"
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Make error for MAME 0123

Postby odysseusignmail » 07 Mar 2008, 02:12

Hey. Thanks for all your help. I've followed your instructions and when I try the Make command, I get this error:
make BIGENDIAN=1 ARCHOPTS="-mpowerpc64 -mpowerpc-gfxopt -mpowerpc-gpopt -maltivec"
mkdir -p obj/sdl/mame
<SNIP> :)
mkdir -p obj/sdl/mame/tools
Compiling src/build/file2str.c...
/bin/sh: gcc: command not found
make: *** [obj/sdl/mame/build/file2str.o] Error 127

Any clues?

If it helps, I tried installing the sdl via the add/remove option, but got the error:
Error testing compare_exchange32
I read your comment about this error, so I decided to try the sdl0123 installation per your instructions. Do I need to uninstall/remove the existing sdl0121 from the add/remove window?
odysseusignmail
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Make error for MAME 0123

Postby billb » 07 Mar 2008, 04:53

odysseusignmail wrote:Hey. Thanks for all your help. I've followed your instructions and when I try the Make command, I get this error:
mkdir -p obj/sdl/mame
<SNIP> :)
mkdir -p obj/sdl/mame/tools
Compiling src/build/file2str.c...
/bin/sh: gcc: command not found
make: *** [obj/sdl/mame/build/file2str.o] Error 127

Any clues?

I don't believe I've seen that before ... You're on YDL6, right? When you installed YDL6, did you check software development?
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Got it working

Postby odysseusignmail » 08 Mar 2008, 02:49

Hey Billb,

Thanks for your help. I finally got sdlmame123 working and everything. Now, how do I get the PS3 controller to work with the games? It works with SNes9x, but when I try to configure it after going into the Tab setup in sdlMame, it doesn't seem to recognize the pushes.

I did turn on the SIXAXIS flag and the joystick flag in the mame.ini file. Any suggestions?

Thanks a bunch!
odysseusignmail
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Got it working

Postby billb » 08 Mar 2008, 03:19

odysseusignmail wrote:Thanks for your help. I finally got sdlmame123 working and everything. Now, how do I get the PS3 controller to work with the games? It works with SNes9x, but when I try to configure it after going into the Tab setup in sdlMame, it doesn't seem to recognize the pushes.

I did turn on the SIXAXIS flag and the joystick flag in the mame.ini file. Any suggestions?

I don't normally use the sixaxis since I have a Logitech Cordless Rumblepad 2. Will try it when I have a chance ... or maybe someone else will jump in and help. :)
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

sixaxis

Postby javon27 » 08 Mar 2008, 03:36

That's actually a question I can answer, I think. I noticed that in order to get the controllers to work, you actually have to make sure that you press the PS button on them before starting mame. then when you go into the mame configuration menu, you can configure the buttons for each specific game. By the way you can actually assign two buttons at a time. For instance, sometimes I like to use the joypad instead of the joystick. You would do that by setting a button or joystick direction for your assigned button, then before moving on to another selection, press enter and then press another button on your joystick that you want. Like I said, this might only be useful when you wanna be interchangeable in your joystick/pad use.
javon27
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby sb81 » 10 Mar 2008, 18:13

Anyone have any luck getting a Genesis emulator? sdlmess is the only thing I've seen and it does not run that well and sound is usually messed up.

Was going to try to compile gens, but the permissions set on the source were wonky and once chmod was run, configure was error-ing out big time. Read similar results online not even YDL installs, so got the latest available code through cvs and this time configure wasn't even present.

Tried DGens through the dribble repo, but get a segmentation fault.

Anyone have any luck getting any emulators to work? Or settings you can change with sdlmess to make it run better?
sb81
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby keefy » 10 Mar 2008, 18:39

I loved gunstar heroes on megadrive thats game kept me playign all weekend what a blast also probotector mainly for its music.
http://keefy.net/2007/07/24/game-tunes/
keefy
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby billb » 10 Mar 2008, 19:04

sb81 wrote:Anyone have any luck getting a Genesis emulator? sdlmess is the only thing I've seen and it does not run that well and sound is usually messed up.

I had tried this one on YDL 5 and it wasn't working properly, but just installed it on YDL 6 and it works great -- scalable window, full screen, gamepad works (USB, didn't try sixaxis), and sound! :)

Get the PPC-64 version from here:
http://www.xe-emulator.com/index.php?m=download

Extract the files to a temporary folder, then open a terminal window and cd to that folder, and:

su
<root password>

make

make install

exit

It has a GUI, but you'll need to create a launcher for it if you want it on your menu or desktop. Otherwise, to start the emulator, just enter:

xe

I haven't tried a lot of games yet but it looks good so far.
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby sb81 » 10 Mar 2008, 19:08

Sweet, thanks I'll try it out.

billb wrote:
sb81 wrote:Anyone have any luck getting a Genesis emulator? sdlmess is the only thing I've seen and it does not run that well and sound is usually messed up.

I had tried this one on YDL 5 and it wasn't working properly, but just installed it on YDL 6 and it works great -- scalable window, full screen, gamepad works (USB, didn't try sixaxis), and sound! :)

Get the PPC-64 version from here:
http://www.xe-emulator.com/index.php?m=download

Extract the files to a temporary folder, then open a terminal window and cd to that folder, and:

su
<root password>

make

make install

exit

It has a GUI, but you'll need to create a launcher for it if you want it on your menu or desktop. Otherwise, to start the emulator, just enter:

xe

I haven't tried a lot of games yet but it looks good so far.
sb81
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby sb81 » 11 Mar 2008, 13:54

Billb, you rock!

xe genesis emulation is incredible. Just about everything I tried ran at 60 fps.

Could have scrapped snes9x but the snes emulation of xe isn't near as good as it emulates genesis.

Some notes on compilation if anyone else tries it... The makefile uses the Linux Linker... which the command at a terminal is "ld" that's (el-d).. One of the switches is -l (el) and then an archive, which is part of a library.

So if you get any errors like "ld - cannot find -lXv" it's looking for the archive Xv which can be installed through Add&Remove programs... search for libXv or just Xv and install libXv-devel There are a few more archives it looks for, just do the same thing for each, replacing Xv with the name of the archive, which you get from the ld - cannot find -l<archive name>

It also needs gtk+2.0-devel.

I had installed YDL6 with the Development option checked, but had unchecked some items I didn't think I would need.
sb81
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby billb » 11 Mar 2008, 14:40

sb81 wrote:Could have scrapped snes9x but the snes emulation of xe isn't near as good as it emulates genesis.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing until I tried going full screen with an SNES game. Maybe if you're running at SD resolution (like 720x480 or 720x576) it would be OK. I wonder how it does on NES? Could it replace fceultra?

Anyway, we finally have a better working Genesis emulator we can use on YDL 6. :D
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JiZames » 13 Mar 2008, 02:41

billb, awesome job finding out about xe! I finally managed to get xe installed last night, after a hell of a time figuring out what packages I needed to download to make use of the makefile! I chose not to install all the dev packages when I installed 6.0, so I had to manually search for the dev files using both google and yum. The emulator's incredible, I just wish the SIXAXIS wouldn't have such an issue with it.

I had a question about both sdlmame and dosbox...in SDLmame, I noticed if you just run sdlmame from the terminal without specifying the rom, it says that no roms were found. Is there a way to access the list of roms as opposed to having to type it out every time I want to play a different game? I've specified the rom folder from the conf file but it seems as though it doesn't do the trick.

And as for dosbox, I'm wondering if there's a way to get games to go into 16:9 full screen. scaler=advinterp3x looks great(from what you recommended me in the first page of this very topic), but I'd like to get rid of the borders on the side somehow. Any ideas?
JiZames
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby sb81 » 13 Mar 2008, 03:03

need to create a .mame directory and in your ~ home and cd to it. Then you run mame /createconfig

You will end up with /home/username/.mame/mame.ini

Change the roms path in the mame.ini file.
sb81
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby JiZames » 13 Mar 2008, 03:45

Ah, I found out the problem. I had forgot to put down the username after /home/ in the rompath. Thanks for the help though sb81, you reminded me of it when I looked at /home/username/ example. :)

EDIT: Has anyone tried getting Donkey Kong to work normally under sdlmame? The sound is all garbled and the game runs a a fraction of it's normal speed, which is quite peculiar.
JiZames
ydl lover
ydl lover

PreviousNext

Return to Playstation 3