Games that work well in YDL on PS3

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Postby billb » 16 Jan 2008, 18:44

sandworm wrote:have anybody successfully patched heroes3 by lokigames for ppc and run it on ydl ?

Haven't tried it ... actually hadn't even seen it and may try it ... :wink:

But before I do, you have already tried downloading the ppc binary version and it doesn't work?
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby sandworm » 17 Jan 2008, 08:43

billb wrote:
sandworm wrote:have anybody successfully patched heroes3 by lokigames for ppc and run it on ydl ?

Haven't tried it ... actually hadn't even seen it and may try it ... :wink:

But before I do, you have already tried downloading the ppc binary version and it doesn't work?

i've tried. there is no 'binary', there is a xdelta patch. patched binary fails with sigsegv.
sandworm
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Duke Nukem 3D and Warcraft II

Postby billb » 20 Jan 2008, 09:37

I haven't had any luck running Warcraft II under QEMU / Windows 98, and Duke Nukem 3D runs a bit slow on that setup, too. Both are playable and run at full speed using BasiliskII / Mac OS 7.5.3, though. :D

Here are a couple of screenshots:
Duke Nukem 3D demo, running at 800x600, medium detail
Warcraft II demo

I found the demo versions of those and some other good 68K Mac games on this site.

Judging by this benchmark , it looks like we should be able to run most 68K Mac games with no problem.
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby rich » 05 Feb 2008, 16:36

Hello Billb :D I've compliled the latest SDLMame 0.123, but there're errors like this:

Error 6 reading PNG file
make: *** [obj/sdl/mame/emu/uismall.fh] Error 1

am I doiing wrong? thanks for your help
rich
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 05 Feb 2008, 18:35

rich wrote:Hello Billb :D I've compliled the latest SDLMame 0.123, but there're errors like this:

Error 6 reading PNG file
make: *** [obj/sdl/mame/emu/uismall.fh] Error 1

am I doiing wrong? thanks for your help

Have you been able to compile previous versions on this system? I haven't seen that problem before. And I don't have YDL 5.0.x installed to test it at the moment, but it works fine on ... the version I am running now. :wink:

I am assuming you are installing from these instructions ... ? Did all the development libraries (like SDL-devel) install OK?
Last edited by billb on 05 Feb 2008, 21:20, edited 1 time in total.
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby rich » 05 Feb 2008, 19:36

Cool! SDLMame v.0.123 works with sixaxis plug-in! :D
do you think it'll work also if using sixaxis wireless?
thank you very much Billb :D
rich
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 05 Feb 2008, 21:27

rich wrote:Cool! SDLMame v.0.123 works with sixaxis plug-in! :D
do you think it'll work also if using sixaxis wireless?
thank you very much Billb :D

You'll need to get bluetooth working to do that. I haven't spent much time trying to get the sixaxis wireless (bluetooth) controllers to work since I already had an RF wireless gamepad (Logitech Cordless Rumblepad 2) from my PC.

I have noticed that the drum pad from Rock Band PS3 shows up as an additional joystick in Linux. I haven't tried setting it up in SDLMAME, but I bet it would make a mean Track & Field controller! :lol:
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Partyboy28 » 07 Feb 2008, 04:47

How do you get snes9x to work? I"ve tried following the only tutorial on the internet and it doesn't work. I get a window without a menu bar, so I can't set up any controlls.
Partyboy28
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

this guide?

Postby javon27 » 07 Feb 2008, 07:24

http://www.ps3news.com/forums/ps3-linux-chat/all-guide-installing-ydl-vlc-mplayer-snes9x-ps3-63312.html
the above link is what i used. sounds to me like you didn't install the front end.

also, i would suggest using gnome for your session. that is set your session to gnome before logging in. hope this helps.

Peace,
Jay
javon27
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby gnosis » 11 Feb 2008, 22:16

billb wrote:
gnosis wrote:
Dark_Emerald wrote:Not sure if this was mentioned already, but joystick support has been re-added to YDL 6.0. I just tested it with snes9express.

Sorry to derail the conversation, but were you able to find the rpc for snes9x via the repos, from snes9s's site or did you compile from source? I haven't seen this yet in 6.0 and am having problems with sdlmame, would like to get something working.

What kind of trouble are you having with sdlmame?

I haven't installed snes9x on YDL 6 yet.

Hi! Thanks for you offer to help, I figured I should continue in a more relevant thread. :)

After downloading YDL 6.0 (and still using the FC7 dribble repos) I installed sdlmame 0122-1.fc7.drb along with -data, -data-roms and -data-samples. I had done this before with 5.0.2 although I do not remeber the mame version.

I also have been attempting to use a gui tool, gnome-video-arcade, which I have used in the past to launch mame.

While running the program via console I get the following error;
Code: Select all
sdlvideo_init: Initialization failed!

I know this is an sdl error and not mame per say but perhaps someone has seen it before? I have been able to run a few other sdl programs such as dosbox.

My next step is to either uninstall and then re-download based on FC6 or follow your post on compiling the latest version, which either probably wouldn't be bad a idea. :wink:
gnosis
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 12 Feb 2008, 00:06

gnosis wrote:I also have been attempting to use a gui tool, gnome-video-arcade, which I have used in the past to launch mame.

While running the program via console I get the following error;
sdlvideo_init: Initialization failed!

I know this is an sdl error and not mame per say but perhaps someone has seen it before? I have been able to run a few other sdl programs such as dosbox.

You're getting that error when trying to run mame from the command line? Or the gnome-video-arcade tool? I haven't tried that one ...

My next step is to either uninstall and then re-download based on FC6 or follow your post on compiling the latest version, which either probably wouldn't be bad a idea. :wink:

The FC6 version is even older ... I would go with compiling the latest version instead. The process would be basically the same as for YDL 5 as described earlier in this thread. The current version is 0.123. Here's a quick summary:

Here's an updated guide for YDL 6:
(the guide for YDL5 is here)

Get the latest source for sdlmame from here:
http://rbelmont.mameworld.info/?page_id=163

Save the file to your desktop.

Open a terminal window (in e17, Applications -> Accessories -> Gnome Terminal).

First create a folder and extract the archive:

mkdir ~/build
cd ~/build
unzip ~/Desktop/sdlmame0123.zip
cd sdlmame0123

Then make sure you have the necessary development libraries installed:

su
<root password>

yum install SDL-devel expat-devel zlib-devel libGL-devel gtk2-devel GConf2-devel

exit

And now you can start compiling. NOTE: This part is going to take a long time! It will appear to hang when it reaches voodoo.c and cp1610.c, but is actually just going very slow because it's using all available memory on the PS3. You should see your disk activity light flashing which will let you know it's still running.
make BIGENDIAN=1 ARCHOPTS="-mpowerpc64 -mpowerpc-gfxopt -mpowerpc-gpopt -maltivec"

(you can build it without ARCHOPTS but you get a slight speed increase with that)

When that is finally completed you should have some new binaries in your folder: chdman, jedutil, makemeta, mame, regrep, romcmp, src2html, srcclean, testkeys

The one you use to start sdlmame from the command line is mame. You can copy this to your /usr/local/bin folder like this:
su
<root password>
cp mame /usr/local/bin/mame
exit

Then follow the steps in this guide to configure your mame.ini file (setting the correct location of your ROM files, video options, etc). You may also want to set up the other paths like font, cfg_directory, etc. too.
Last edited by billb on 13 Feb 2008, 21:13, edited 2 times in total.
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby gnosis » 12 Feb 2008, 00:56

Wow, Thanks!

I'm getting the error referenced above while trying to run from the console. I figured I was just missing a simple sdl package. :oops: The arcade tool is just me being lazy, but it's not bad.

Only thought about reverting back to FC6 after I read an earlier post from you stating that YDLv6.0 was more closely aligned with FC6 than FC7. In any event I am much more interested in compiling the latest and greatest (it's the nerd in me).

Thank you so much for updating the guide and providing a link to 0.123 :D btw, thanks for teaching me how to hide directories!

Also are you still recommending keeping the dribble repo pointing to FC6 for the time being?
gnosis
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 12 Feb 2008, 02:37

gnosis wrote:Also are you still recommending keeping the dribble repo pointing to FC6 for the time being?

Yes, it appears to be the best thing for now. The downside is the FC6 RPMs there are no longer being updated, so I was hoping we could use the Fedora 7 or later packages instead ... it does work in some cases, like with mednafen you can install the FC7 version on Dribble:

http://dribble.org.uk/repo/7/ppc/mednaf ... rb.ppc.rpm
"A portable command-line driven, multi-system emulator which uses OpenGL and SDL. It emulates the following: * Atari Lynx * Famicom * GameBoy (Color) * GameBoy Advance * Neo Geo Pocket (Color) * NES (NTSC & PAL) * PC Engine * TurboGrafx 16 (CD) * SuperGrafx * PC-FX"

Once it is installed you need to edit the config file and make a couple of changes:

gedit ~/.mednafen/mednafen.cfg
(as normal user, not root)

Change these sections to match what is here:
;Select sound driver.
sounddriver oss

;Select video driver, "opengl" or "sdl".
vdriver sdl

Then you start it from the command line like this:

mednafen yourROMfilename

Once it is running, press F1 for help. :D
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby rich » 13 Feb 2008, 19:52

I've followed the some previous steps, then this one:

make BIGENDIAN=1 ARCHOPTS="-mpowerpc64 -mpowerpc-gfxopt -mpowerpc-gpopt -maltivec"

but the results's like this:

Compiling src/osd/sdl/sdlmain.c...
In file included from src/osd/sdl/osd_opengl.h:25,
from src/osd/sdl/window.h:19,
from src/osd/sdl/sdlmain.c:18:
src/osd/sdl/SDL1211_opengl.h:26:28: error: SDL/SDL_config.h: No such file or directory
make: *** [obj/sdl/mame/osd/sdl/sdlmain.o] Error 1

do you have any suggestions, Billb please?
rich
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby RichieYDL » 13 Feb 2008, 20:44

Did you install SDL-devel?

yum install SDL-devel?
RichieYDL
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

PreviousNext

Return to Playstation 3