Games that work well in YDL on PS3

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Postby ghostdemon » 10 Jan 2008, 00:21

does VBA work on yellow dog? and a ps1 emu would be nice for me because i can find my store bought cd only my back ups(witch i cant play because there backups :( and yes i do own all of the games that i back up)
ghostdemon
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 10 Jan 2008, 07:45

ghostdemon wrote:does VBA work on yellow dog?

Tried VisualBoy Advance but had sound issues... and it does not appear to be actively developed. Mednafen, on the other hand, works great for Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, NES, Sega Master System, Neo Geo Pocket Color, Atari Lynx, PC Engine / Turbografx 16 ...

:D
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ghostdemon » 10 Jan 2008, 16:35

billb wrote:
ghostdemon wrote:does VBA work on yellow dog?

Tried VisualBoy Advance but had sound issues... and it does not appear to be actively developed. Mednafen, on the other hand, works great for Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, NES, Sega Master System, Neo Geo Pocket Color, Atari Lynx, PC Engine / Turbografx 16 ...

:D

ok thanks but how can i compile the sorce code(on window)
ghostdemon
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 10 Jan 2008, 17:42

ghostdemon wrote:ok thanks but how can i compile the sorce code(on window)

Are you asking how to compile it on Windows, as in MS WIndows? :?
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ghostdemon » 10 Jan 2008, 19:54

yes so that when i get my ps3 i can just install yellow dog and the emulator and is there any other web browsers then fire fox like opera for linux?
ghostdemon
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 10 Jan 2008, 20:20

ghostdemon wrote:how can i make a build of the emulators on window for linux?(getting a 80gb ps3 this weekend and going to put my 250 hdd in it and going install yellow dog on it)

or can anyone give me the build of them(gba, gbc, nes, snes only plz)thanks

Hiya!

This is possible - but is not trivial.

You would need to set up gcc - the GNU c compiler - from scratch as a cross-compiler. This is because the Cell processor that PS3 uses has a Power PC (aka ppc) core - and Windows is designed to work on the Intel (aka x86) family of processors.

In addition, Windows doesn't support gcc natively. It's much easier to set up an x86 Linux box to do this. To do this in Windows, you'd also have to set up Cygwin - and even then it might not work.

To get a feel of what I'm talking about, here's a cross-compiler guide I wrote for the PS2 for Red Hat Linux 8.0:

http://playstation2-linux.com/download/mozilla-ps2/moz_cross_1.0.1.html

It would seem easier just to compile it on the PS3 when you get it.

Cheers,
Paul
Last edited by ppietro on 10 Jan 2008, 20:39, edited 2 times in total.
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby billb » 10 Jan 2008, 20:23

ghostdemon wrote:yes so that when i get my ps3 i can just install yellow dog and the emulator and is there any other web browsers then fire fox like opera for linux?

Hmm... that would be what is known as cross-compiling, and that's about all I know about it. :P

EDIT: Yeah, what Paul said! :wink:

I am trying to create an RPM (so you don't have to compile it yourself) for mednafen right now, but I've never done it before so there's a lot to learn...

Yes, Firefox is included ... you should have a look at the features apps on the Terra Soft site.
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ghostdemon » 11 Jan 2008, 18:34

ok thanks for the help and i want to know what is the biggest hdd that i can put in to the ps3 because i found one that 320gb 2.5" but the biggest one that i've seen people put in was 250. so can i put a 320 or a 250gb hdd in it.(i want ydl to have at lest a 100gb part of the hdd)
and i have a dvd burner for my pc that is pluged in by usb and i wanted to know if i can burn cd/dvd on linux with that?.

ps: sorry for all the qestion's
ghostdemon
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

RE: ghostdemon

Postby pcphantom » 14 Jan 2008, 03:38

Just a little FYI. I didnt see this in anyones reply so I thought I would point out something to you that isn't exactly published all over the place.

The PS3 will only let you partition 10g for "OtherOS" (AKA Linux) and the rest to the PS3 system

OR

You can partition 10g for "GameOS" (AKA PS3 System) and the rest to Linux

However things like 150g to GameOS and 100g to OtherOS unfortunately are not possible at this time.
pcphantom
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby palmboy5 » 14 Jan 2008, 05:23

Yes it is a sad limitation, though I can't imagine why anyone would need their GameOS to have more than 10GB available, unless they want to collect all the game demos.
palmboy5
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby billb » 14 Jan 2008, 06:01

palmboy5 wrote:Yes it is a sad limitation, though I can't imagine why anyone would need their GameOS to have more than 10GB available, unless they want to collect all the game demos.

It fills up quick, especially when you install downloadable games like WarHawk, Toy Home, Calling All Cars, and start adding songs for Rock Band, then Unreal Tournament can be partially installed, plus eventually we'll be downloading additional custom maps for that, etc. ... :D
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Classic Mac (68K) OS 7.5 on PS3

Postby billb » 14 Jan 2008, 10:06

Adding one more system to my list ... :D

You can run Mac OS 7.5 with an emulator called Basilisk II on YDL 5.x. Here are a couple of screenshots showing games I tried:

Oregon Trail
Lode Runner Online: Mad Monks' Revenge

No problems at all with speed or sound. I did run into a problem with a game (Prince of Persia) that required a 256 Color mode, but I had problems trying to run at anything other than "millions of colors."

First I followed a guide for installing Basilisk II on Windows and got it running there, then copied the hard disk image (.hfv) I created over to my PS3.

To install Basilisk II on YDL, I just installed the ppc.rpm version directly from the freshrpms repo: here

On Gnome, BasiliskII showed up in the Applications->Accessories menu, or can be started from the command line: BasiliskII

That brings up a GUI where you add your hard drive image on the Volumes tab, set your screen resolution under Graphics/Sound (full screen wouldn't work for me), and RAM Size (I used 64MB), CPU Type (68040), and the location of your ROM file.

I didn't get network / internet access working from within BasiliskII, but was able to access my Linux partition easily (you set this in BasiliskII on the Volumes tab. Whatever you set for "Unix Root" will show up as a drive on OS 7.5. This made it easy to download applications using Firefox on YDL and access them immediately on Mac OS 7.5.

EDIT: I had problems changing to 256 color mode with the RPM version I linked above. I compiled the latest version of Basilisk II from cvs and it works great! No problems changing resolutions / color modes while the emulator is running.

With that fixed, I tried playing Doom, Hexen, and Prince of Persia. Doom runs great, no trouble with Prince of Persia. Hexen runs a bit slow if you increase the graphics detail, but it's playable. :D Runs fast if you lower the screen resolution to 320x240.

Here's a screenshot of Prince of Persia running on Mac OS 7.5 using BasiliskII on YDL 5.0.1.
Last edited by billb on 14 Jan 2008, 23:58, edited 1 time in total.
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby horsethief » 14 Jan 2008, 11:19

could somebody please tell me, step by step, how to go about installing Warcraft 2, Diablo and Starcraft on YDL 5.0 ?

i was reading through this thread and saw a screenshot of someone successlly running SC under FC5 and all i can say is WOW!

btw can the expansions be installed for WC2, Diablo and SC? went through like 20 min of diggin around after readin this thread to track down those old cds.

any help is greatly appreciated.
horsethief
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby billb » 14 Jan 2008, 17:11

horsethief wrote:could somebody please tell me, step by step, how to go about installing Warcraft 2, Diablo and Starcraft on YDL 5.0 ?

i was reading through this thread and saw a screenshot of someone successlly running SC under FC5 and all i can say is WOW!

That's what I said when it worked! :lol: Actually it was Fedora 7 I was using to run Starcraft under QEMU, but it works the same under Yellow Dog 5. Here are some other screenshots:

Startcraft on Win98 via QEMU (Fedora 7)
Civil War Generals on WIn98 via QEMU (Fedora 7)
Thief on Win98 via QEMU (Fedora 7) NOT PLAYABLE -- TOO SLOW!
Diablo on Win98 via QEMU (Yellow Dog 5.0.1)

btw can the expansions be installed for WC2, Diablo and SC? went through like 20 min of diggin around after readin this thread to track down those old cds.

I think I had a problem trying to run Warcraft 2 when I tried it. Seems like it ran slowly under DOSBox and wouldn't load properly under QEMU, but I didn't spend a lot of time messing with it. As far as expansions for Diablo and Starcraft, I don't see why they wouldn't work.

Once you get QEMU installed and Windows 98 running (see this thread), it is simply a matter of installing the games like you normally would on Windows 98. Note that you can't change CDs while QEMU is running, so you have to install, then shutdown Windows / QEMU, change CDs, then restart Windows / QEMU.

For Diablo, you have to install the v1.09 patch or you'll have problems with the graphics once the game starts (colors off). After installing the 1.09 patch it worked fine.

I didn't play Starcraft much beyond noting it appeared to be running OK and was playable. I don't recall a patch being required.

Thief runs, but unbearably slow (less than 1 frame / second). Sound works fine, though.
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby sandworm » 16 Jan 2008, 18:11

have anybody successfully patched heroes3 by lokigames for ppc and run it on ydl ?
sandworm
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

PreviousNext

Return to Playstation 3