Howto: Install software (the easy way) YDL 5

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Howto: Install software (the easy way) YDL 5

Postby billb » 23 Aug 2007, 00:22

Installing Software on Yellow Dog (the easy way)
This is for Yellow Dog 5 users only. An updated guide for Yellow Dog 6 has been posted here.

Updated 19-Jul-2009: revised Fedora Extras link

On a Windows or Mac machine, you would typically go to a website and download a setup file to install new software. In some cases you can do something similar to that in Linux. But, at least for now, forget all of that.

Yellow Dog is an RPM (Red Hat Package Manager) based Linux distribution. An RPM file is a pre-compiled software package. Since there are numerous versions of many different distributions of Linux which run on many different CPU architectures (x86, AMD64, PPC), there will likely be many different RPM files for a single application.

You can get RPM packages from repositories ("repos") that include software packaged for your particular distribution (Yellow Dog), version (5), and system architecture (ppc). Yellow Dog comes configured with three repositories -- yellowdog-base, yellowdog-extras, and yellowdog-updates. With just these default repos you can install an incredible number of applications.

You do this by selecting the menu item:
Applications -> Accessories -> Software Management -> Add/Remove Software

Once the Package Manager is loaded you can Search, Browse, or List the available applications. If you see something you want to install, you simply check the box next to it and click Apply (or the menu item File -> Apply). Then it will show what package(s) you selected and give you the option to Cancel or Continue. Don't go crazy with it -- try installing just one thing at a time at first!

Next it will start resolving dependencies. This means the package you selected may require another package in order for it to work, so the Package Manager tries to take care of that for you. If any dependencies (other packages) were added, it will notify you and give you the option to Cancel or Continue.

Once you click Continue it starts downloading packages and installs everything. Finally you get a window saying "Software Installation successfully completed." Once you click OK, the Package Manager window closes.

If you're running e17 you'll need to update your Applications Menu before the program you installed will show up. Go to the menu item Configuration -> Applications Menu. This will open an Applications window. Click on Regenerate/update "Applications" Menu, then click on Update, then Close. (this step isn't necessary if you're running a Gnome session)

If the application has a graphical user interface it should now show up in your menu in an appropriate location (Games, Internet, etc).

If you installed a terminal based application with no graphical user interface (GUI), there won't be a new menu option for it. You may not even know what terminal command is used to start it. It is usually the same as the name of the package, and installed in the folder: /usr/bin Documentation is typically installed in the folder /usr/share/doc/[application-version] folder.

For example, the executable file for the gedit text editor that comes installed on Yellow Dog is located here:
/usr/bin/gedit

And the documentation is here:
/usr/share/doc/gedit-2.14.3

Set up Additional Repositories

In addition to the default repos, you can set up other compatible repos that provide even more applications. To do this, we add certain text files to a folder called /etc/yum.repos.d

You need to have "root privileges" to add or edit files in this folder. Instead of logging out of your regular user account and logging in as "root", you can temporarily grant yourself root privileges from a terminal window. A program started from this terminal window would then have root privileges.

So, open a terminal window by selecting the menu item: Applications -> Accessories -> Gnome Terminal. That should open a new window with a [your username@localhost ~]$ prompt. The default color scheme may be difficult to read on your display. If that is the case, go to the menu item Edit -> Current Profile, click on the Colors tab, select "Black on white" under Built-in schemes, and click on Close. Future terminal windows will open with this color scheme.

The command su is used to change your effective user id and group id. Entered by itself with no arguments, it assumes you want to become the "root" user and will ask for the root password. Enter this now:

Code: Select all
su
<root password>

Then you can open the graphical text editor from this terminal window as if you were logged in as root. So enter this:

gedit

This should open a blank window titled "Unsaved Document 1".

Copy the following text in the box below Code: (highlight, right-click, select Copy) from your browser window to your "Unsaved Document 1" window (right-click in the blank window and select Paste).

[livna-stable]
name=Livna.org Fedora Compatible Packages (stable)
baseurl=http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/5/ppc
gpgcheck=0

To save this new file, click on File -> Save As. In the box next to "Name" in the Save As... window, enter this:

/etc/yum.repos.d/livna-stable.repo

And click on Save.

That's all you need to do in order to add the Livna repository so its contents will show up when you use the Add/Remove programs feature.

We're going to add two more repositories in the same manner. Copy and paste the text below from your browser to your text editor window and use "Save As" to save the file under the name listed above the text.

/etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-extras.repo

[fedora-extras]
name=Fedora Extras
baseurl=http://archives.fedoraproject.org/pub/archive/fedora/linux/extras/5/ppc
gpgcheck=0

/etc/yum.repos.d/dribble.repo

[dribble]
name=Dribble for Fedora 5 - ppc
baseurl=http://dribble.org.uk/repo/5/ppc
enabled=1
gpgcheck=0

We're done adding repos now, so you can close the gedit text editor window. Close the terminal window as well.

Now you'll have many more applications available when you use the Add / Remove Programs feature in Yellow Dog. Select the menu item Applications -> Accessories -> Software Management -> Add/Remove Software. The "Retrieving software information" stage will now take longer to complete since it has more to do.

Once the package manger finishes loading, click on the Search button and try searching for: emulator

Now you can "single-handedly" install two C-64 emulators (Frodo and Vice), two different Nintendo emulators (Nestopia and fceu), a DOS emulator (dosbox), Atari 2600 emulator (stella), Amiga emulator (E-UAE), arcade game emulator (sdlmame), and much more!

IMPORTANT NOTE:
There are other compatible repos you can use with Yellow Dog Linux, but it is possible for two repos to be incompatible with each other. Livna and FreshRPMs are said to be incompatible. While you might not see any immediate problem if you set up both, you will most likely run into problems later.

Installing directly from a Repository web page:

It may be that you have added the repos above and you still can't find the application you want to install from Add/Remove programs. Such is the case with the Super Nintendo emulator and graphical frontend (snes9x and snes9express).

For this example, point your browser to:

http://stentz.freshrpms.net

You should see links to snes9x and snes9express on the left side. Click on the link for snes9x. You should see three different RPM packages -- one for i386, one for ppc, and one for x86_64. The PS3 runs PowerPC based (ppc) Linux, so select the one ending in .ppc.rpm.

That will take you to another screen with more information about the package (version, build date size, etc. Click on the link ending in .ppc.rpm to download it. Firefox should open a window asking how you want to open the file, with Software installer as the default selection. Click OK to confirm the selection.

When the download has completed, the Software Installer will ask you for your root password. Then a "Installing packages" window will open. Click on Apply. In a few moments it should say "Software installed successfully." Click OK. Now you need the frontend, snes9express, so follow the same procedure to install it.

Remember -- if you're running e17 you'll need to update your applications menu before it will show up. And the documentation for snes9x is in the usual location: /usr/share/doc/snes9x-1.43

As you can see, it's possible to install directly from a repository when necessary, even one meant for an older version of Fedora Core. But this is not the preferred method of doing things. Note the naming convention used by most RPM's:

name-version-release.distribution.architecture.rpm

name - The name of the application
version - The version of the application (as in development, debug, etc)
release - The release number of the application
distribution - The Linux distribution for which it was packaged (fc4, fc5, ydl, etc.)
architecture - The type of hardware for which it was compiled (x86, ppc, x86_64)

If you're searching Google for an application, you need to know that you'll need one specifically for Power PC (ppc) architecture, preferably for Yellow Dog Linux (ydl) or Fedora Core 5 (fc5), although it's possible that a package for Fedora Core 4 (fc4) may work fine, as in the case of snes9x.

Complete Listing of repo files:
There seems to be some confusion about what repo files to use. In case you have somehow overwritten your original repo files or added incorrect ones, this list includes the 3 yellowdog repos included in the distribution, plus the 3 added in this guide.

yellowdog-base.repo
[base]
name=Yellow Dog Linux 5.0 Base
#baseurl=http://ftp.yellowdoglinux.com/pub/yellowdog/yum/5.0/base/
mirrorlist=http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/resources/yd50-base-mlist
enabled=1
gpgcheck=0
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY

yellowdog-extras.repo
[extras]
name=Yellow Dog Linux 5.0 Extras
#baseurl=http://ftp.yellowdoglinux.com/pub/yellowdog/yum/5.0/extras/
mirrorlist=http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/resources/yd50-extras-mlist
enabled=1
gpgcheck=0

yellowdog-updates.repo
[updates]
name=Yellow Dog Linux 5.0 Updates
#baseurl=http://ftp.yellowdoglinux.com/pub/yellowdog/yum/5.0/updates/
mirrorlist=http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/resources/yd50-updates-mlist
enabled=1
gpgcheck=0

fedora-extras.repo
[fedora-extras]
name=Fedora Extras
baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/extras/5/ppc
gpgcheck=0

livna-stable.repo
[livna-stable]
name=Livna.org Fedora Compatible Packages (stable)
baseurl=http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/5/ppc
gpgcheck=0

dribble.repo
[dribble]
name=Dribble for Fedora 5 - ppc
baseurl=http://dribble.org.uk/repo/5/ppc
enabled=1
gpgcheck=0
Last edited by billb on 03 Jun 2008, 16:54, edited 6 times in total.
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

!

Postby Batzi » 23 Aug 2007, 11:20

I have repo file. When I try to to install it gives me an error:

Unable to retrieve software information. This could be caused by not having a network connection available.

Although I am connected via ethernet and firefox works perfect. What can it be? I have YDL 5.01
Batzi
Batzi
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Re: !

Postby Mnemnoch » 26 Aug 2007, 18:41

Batzi wrote:I have repo file. When I try to to install it gives me an error:

Unable to retrieve software information. This could be caused by not having a network connection available.

Although I am connected via ethernet and firefox works perfect. What can it be? I have YDL 5.01

I had the same issue. I don't know if I resolved it by disconnecting from the network and restarting or if it was because I copied and pasted exactly what is above that did it for me, but the repo's work. I found that if you put them in the yum.repo.d directory that you're going to have to use root access to delete them though. Try remaking them.
Mnemnoch
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby deathw » 11 Sep 2007, 05:16

I just want to say thank you for the dribbles repo and the others, they've helped me out so much installing FCEU and GFCEU, I was having problems getting GFCEU working right with FCEU when I compiled the sources but your repos made life so much easier after getting rid of the joke I did, lol

thanks again
help i need someone! help not just anyone! lol
deathw
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

~calling superbill~

Postby SGP » 11 Oct 2007, 06:46

much respect for you mr. bill. I'm having trouble with having YUM recognize the added repos. I followed your directions, but when I start the Add/Remove Applications program and look for applications, I'm pretty sure it is only searching and listing the 3 original repos.

I've tried making sure enable was 1 and other things, with no progress.

thanks in advance to anyone that can help with this :)

EDIT: nevermind! I fixed it by added the repo text to the yum.conf file. Still don't understand why it did not detect it in the folder, but oh well :)

problem solved. i <3 bill
SGP
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby foleyjo » 26 Oct 2007, 15:50

Im having problems.

1 - Ive installed Mplayer and Mplayer gui using the software manager but nothing has appeared anywhere for me to click on and use them.
I can view files by typing "mplayer" in the console but I cant open the gui

2 - Ive tried to install other things but keep getting the error "Package arts-1.5.5-0.1.fc5.ppc.rpm is not signed"
foleyjo
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 26 Oct 2007, 16:59

foleyjo wrote:1 - Ive installed Mplayer and Mplayer gui using the software manager but nothing has appeared anywhere for me to click on and use them.
I can view files by typing "mplayer" in the console but I cant open the gui

Are you using e17? Did you update your applications menu as mentioned in the guide?

2 - Ive tried to install other things but keep getting the error "Package arts-1.5.5-0.1.fc5.ppc.rpm is not signed"

That just looks like a warning message to me ... ?
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby foleyjo » 26 Oct 2007, 21:56

1 - Ahhhh I was updating the wrong thing. I was using the software update option. I didnt see the applications menui option. So thats sorted now. Many thanks

2- That error message was in the details. Ill be more specific because its happening with everything I want now. I just tried to install XMame and it did the "getting dependencys" bit then after that the error box came up saying "Unable to verify arts -8:1.5.5-0.1.fc5.ppc" the only option is Close and that stops the install
foleyjo
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 26 Oct 2007, 22:25

foleyjo wrote:2- That error message was in the details. Ill be more specific because its happening with everything I want now. I just tried to install XMame and it did the "getting dependencys" bit then after that the error box came up saying "Unable to verify arts -8:1.5.5-0.1.fc5.ppc" the only option is Close and that stops the install

Not sure what's going on there ... I would try this from a terminal window:

$  su
<root password>

#  yum clean all

And also make sure your repo files in /etc/yum.repos.d match what I have listed in the guide. After that try installing something again either via Add/Remove programs or yum install packagename from the command line.
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby foleyjo » 26 Oct 2007, 22:44

Did what you said still didnt work

Tried just downloading the rpm for xmame from that site you said in the original post and the same error came up during install

oh apparantly doing it this way i get the optiion to install anyway
foleyjo
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby NuxIT » 02 Dec 2007, 09:08

Hi Guys, I'm having this exact same issue.

Although I am connected via ethernet and firefox works perfect.

I've had this happen without doing the billb repo additions above. Then I tried following billb's instuctions and added the rest and still get this error! It's just closes out. I even checked the help me billb thread and looked at the text in my default repos and they look good. Any ideas why the dog can't retrieve?? I thought he was a Golden Retriever??? BAD DOG!!

I checked my repos and they all looked good? I was going to try and do that download of therepos.zip but the stupid 4kb files are hosted on some spam site!! Gimmie a break!
[root@localhost yum.repos.d]# ls
dribble.repo        livna-stable.repo    yellowdog-extras.repo
fedora-extras.repo  yellowdog-base.repo  yellowdog-updates.repo
Back on the attack after using 5.0.2. Ready to get this 6.2 up and running!
NuxIT
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby zerolex » 02 Dec 2007, 12:44

zerolex
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Temporary fix for YDL Repos

Postby billb » 02 Dec 2007, 20:33

I have a temporary (?) solution for dealing with the Yellow Dog repos which are currently unavailable from the usual location -- see this post.
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby NuxIT » 03 Dec 2007, 07:20

Wow! I can't believe this. Today I booted up and didn't change anything and figured I give it another try. It took a while but this time it loaded! I'm currenty in with the default servers! If it fails again I'll try those backup servers in OR. Thanks billb and company. Time to try and load some software!
Back on the attack after using 5.0.2. Ready to get this 6.2 up and running!
NuxIT
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby pablo » 14 Jan 2008, 16:20

Thank You, I will replace my repos with the ones you provided above tonight, and will check add/remove programs.
Running YDL 6.1 on Image 80GB PS3 Model: CECHE01 *Add your Model # / [GNOME] / Game OS 2.60
List of my Sony Stuff, Still not a fanboy.
pablo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Next

Return to Playstation 3