Recompiled YDL6 defconfig kernel doesn't boot

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Recompiled YDL6 defconfig kernel doesn't boot

Postby JFReyes » 13 Feb 2008, 03:00

Hi:

I realize that this topic may not qualify as "Installation Support" but perhaps a fellow user can help on this:

I want to optimize the YDL6 kernel to eliminate anything non-PS3 related. The first steps are to test the tools/distro by performing:

make defconfig
make
make install

to (presumably) recompile/install the default kernel, as distributed.

"Make defconfig" and "make" display some warnings, but complete successfully. Unfortunately, "make install" tells me that directory /lib/modules/2.6.23.9 doesn't exist; no problem, I create it manually. Later, ybin tells me that it can't be installed on /dev/ps3da because it does't exist. Okay, so I run ybin -b /dev/ps3da1 to tell it the correct partition. Next it warns me about manually configuring OpenFirmware. I don't know what's that about so I keep going; perhaps I should learn/do what it says...

When I reboot and choose the linux_2_6_23_9 kernel, the boot process hangs at the USB1... message, just before the six penguins appear onscreen. That's it, end of story.

I would appreciate any help on this matter, as I'm beginning to think that there are mismatched versions of this software involved in the problem and I don't know how to proceed. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
José
JFReyes
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Return to Playstation 3