Howto: Install Java plugin for Firefox (YDL 6)

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Re: Howto: Install Java plugin for Firefox (YDL 6)

Postby bonedome » 08 Sep 2009, 20:49

Hello again
well I've definitely got compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-61.ppc.rpm
Code: Select all
[b@localhost ~]$ rpm -qa|grep compat
avahi-compat-libdns_sd-0.6.16-1
compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-61
but
 rpm -qa | grep java
ibm-java-ppc-jre-6.0-5.0
java-1.5.0-gcj-1.5.0.0-21.ydl6.1
ibm-java2-ppc-jre-5.0-10.0
what's this, java-1.5.0-gcj-1.5.0.0-21.ydl6.1 is this the one that comes with ydl ?
After I'd uninsatalled both java 5 and 6 yesterday and typed java -version I got the old 1.4.2 same if I delete the symbolic links, strangeness

ok just had a quick look at java-1.5.0-gcj-1.5.0.0-21.ydl6.1 which is in /usr/lib/jvm and there are several links to /etc/alternatives and there is an executable link to ../../../../../bin/gij is yours the same ? or am I barking up the wrong tree.
is java 5 (the ibm version) sort of like the same as java 1.5
60Gb ps3 otheros awol. currently playing:bad company and farcry 2 again (seeing how far I can get using permadeath principle)update: regretfully Warren Clyde was involved in a shootout south of Pala and killed when he was hit by a land rover. RIP Warren
bonedome
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby ppietro » 08 Sep 2009, 21:39

bonedome wrote:ok just had a quick look at java-1.5.0-gcj-1.5.0.0-21.ydl6.1 which is in /usr/lib/jvm and there are several links to /etc/alternatives and there is an executable link to ../../../../../bin/gij is yours the same ? or am I barking up the wrong tree.

I have yet to install 6.2 yet. Did you install GCJ 1.5, or was that something 6.2 gave you? If it's something 6.2 gave you, there might be a bug in the installation.

It's interesting to me that when you remove the symbolic links, that the java version is 1.4.2. Since your rpm -qa list indicates that you have Java 1.5, you shouldn't be getting that version.

It sounds like the GCJ 1.5 installation is corrupt, and there are 1.4.2 and 1.5 GCJ bits intermixed.

bonedome wrote:is java 5 (the ibm version) sort of like the same as java 1.5

Yes - exactly. Sun got tired of explaining why they never had a version 2, so they just changed the numbering scheme and 1.5 became 5, 1.6 became 6, etc.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bonedome » 08 Sep 2009, 23:08

Hi Paul
I'm also still on 6.1 but that's another story
I didn't install java-1.5.0-gcj-1.5.0.0-21.ydl6.1 as such, so I'm guessing it came with the ydl 6.1instalation dvd, so are you saying you don't have this on yours ?
The strange thing is if you follow the path to the actual executable java file /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-gcj-1.5.0.0/jre/bin/java it is just a link to /usr/bin/gij any idea what gij is ?
I just remembered an excellent linux tool apropos and used it for the first time :D
[b@localhost ~]$ apropos gij
gij                  (1)  - GNU interpreter for Java bytecode
I'm still none the wiser :lol: do you ever feel like you've opened a can of worms :lol:
while I remember it do you know what gcj stands for ?
60Gb ps3 otheros awol. currently playing:bad company and farcry 2 again (seeing how far I can get using permadeath principle)update: regretfully Warren Clyde was involved in a shootout south of Pala and killed when he was hit by a land rover. RIP Warren
bonedome
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby ppietro » 08 Sep 2009, 23:42

bonedome wrote:Hi Paul
I'm also still on 6.1 but that's another story
I didn't install java-1.5.0-gcj-1.5.0.0-21.ydl6.1 as such, so I'm guessing it came with the ydl 6.1instalation dvd, so are you saying you don't have this on yours ?

Not installed on mine, anyway. I believe it's still 1.4.2. I will have to check that later and let you know for sure - I'm away from my PS3 right now.

bonedome wrote:The strange thing is if you follow the path to the actual executable java file /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-gcj-1.5.0.0/jre/bin/java it is just a link to /usr/bin/gij any idea what gij is ?

GIJ is the GNU interpreter for Java - that's part of GCJ.

Java is not a fully compiled language like C. It compiles to an intermediate stage that is executed by an interpreter, like C#.

bonedome wrote:I just remembered an excellent linux tool apropos and used it for the first time :D
[b@localhost ~]$ apropos gij
gij                  (1)  - GNU interpreter for Java bytecode
I'm still none the wiser :lol: do you ever feel like you've opened a can of worms :lol:
while I remember it do you know what gcj stands for ?

GCJ stands for GNU Compiler for Java. It's part of the open source GCC project - the same folks who do your gcc C compiler. Unfortunately, GCJ is pretty bloated and slow.

One thing I would check is if java-1.5.0-gcj is in Add/Remove Software. If it's selected, I would deselect it, and install java-1.4.2-gcj, which is also listed there. I think there's issues with newer gcj's and YDL.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bonedome » 10 Sep 2009, 20:03

The strangeness continues, I uninstalled that java 1.5 (which I checked, is on the ydl 6.1 dvd) and still get that bizarre printout.
Here's a small part of the javacore.20090910.193054.7274.0003.txt file that gets produced each time I type java -version
0SECTION       ENVINFO subcomponent dump routine
NULL           =================================
1CIJAVAVERSION J2RE 5.0 IBM J9 2.3 Linux ppc-32 build j9vmxp3223-20090707
1CIVMVERSION   VM build 20090706_38445_bHdSMr
1CIJITVERSION  JIT enabled - 20090623_1334_r8
1CIRUNNINGAS   Running as a standalone JVM
1CICMDLINE     java -version
1CIJAVAHOMEDIR Java Home Dir:   /opt/ibm/java2-ppc-50/jre
1CIJAVADLLDIR  Java DLL Dir:    /opt/ibm/java2-ppc-50/jre/bin
so it would seem it knows what version it is but has a bit of a heart attack trying to tell me.
I feel like I might be wasting your time Paul so unless you're like a dog with a bone and really want to get to the bottom of this, I'm happy to put this in "pending" and dust it off at a later stage (maybe) :D
bonedome
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby binhidin » 14 Dec 2009, 04:59

hey im using a YDL 6.2. is that installation the same as the 6.2? same steps? i am new to linux. help me out
binhidin
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 14 Dec 2009, 06:53

Should be the same for 6.2, yes.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

java 6.2

Postby binhidin » 14 Dec 2009, 23:55

[MODERATOR EDIT: This is a follow-up question and should not have been posted as a new topic. Merged back into the correct thread. -Paul]

hi guys i need help. i am stuck on a part of the installation of java on my 6.2 YDL. i am on the getting the java from ibm and i have installed it but i am on the command part.the directions are.....
Once IBM Java install is finished, open a terminal window.
Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal

Create a symbolic link to /opt/ibm/java-ppc-60/jre/plugin/ppc/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so in the /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins folder:

su
[enter root password]

cd /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

ln -s /opt/ibm/java-ppc-60/jre/plugin/ppc/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so

i have passed the cd/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins but after that i am having trouble. how do i do the next commmand. i dont even know how to creat a symbolic link. please help me. this is the only thing i am asking for. i am getting these direction from this site: http://blogs.ydl.net/billb/2008/03/02/i ... -on-ydl-6/

please go through the steps with me.
binhidin
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: java 6.2

Postby ppietro » 15 Dec 2009, 00:24

binhidin wrote:[MODERATOR EDIT: This is a follow-up question and should not have been posted as a new topic. Merged back into the correct thread. -Paul]

hi guys i need help. i am stuck on a part of the installation of java on my 6.2 YDL. i am on the getting the java from ibm and i have installed it but i am on the command part.the directions are.....
Once IBM Java install is finished, open a terminal window.
Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal

Create a symbolic link to /opt/ibm/java-ppc-60/jre/plugin/ppc/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so in the /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins folder:

su
[enter root password]

cd /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

ln -s /opt/ibm/java-ppc-60/jre/plugin/ppc/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so

i have passed the cd/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins but after that i am having trouble. how do i do the next commmand. i dont even know how to creat a symbolic link. please help me. this is the only thing i am asking for. i am getting these direction from this site: http://blogs.ydl.net/billb/2008/03/02/i ... -on-ydl-6/

please go through the steps with me.

You open a terminal window and type in the commands as shown. Each one of the lines above is a separate command. Type them and then hit the Enter key at the end of each line.

So - open a terminal window by selecting Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal, then type the following in that window. Where it says [Enter], that's the Enter key on your keyboard. Where it says your root password, that's the password you entered when you installed YDL:

su [Enter]
your root password [Enter]
cd /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins [Enter]
ln -s /opt/ibm/java-ppc-60/jre/plugin/ppc/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so [Enter]

Then, you can close your terminal window. The last command - ln - is what creates the symbolic link.

Also - you do realize that the very first post in this thread has the same instructions, right? This thread was authored by the same person who wrote the blog entry - billb. :D

Click here to go back to the top of this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2935

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby roshi » 07 Feb 2010, 05:24

What about java for YDL 6 - 64 bit computers like Power Mac G5? I tried the "... ppc64-jre..." and received errors -

installing packages
ibm-java-ppc64-jre-6.0-7.0.ppc64
IBM 64-bit Linux Runtime for Java v6

I pressed Apply

Unable to retrieve software information

This could be caused by not having a network connection available.

I'm online now - i know the network is working. :lol: I also opened Add Remove Software - it works fine.

Should I install the 32 bit version?

- I read, then I wait. :lol:
--those who complain rarely read. those who read rarely complain.
roshi
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby ppietro » 07 Feb 2010, 08:54

roshi wrote:Should I install the 32 bit version?

Yes - that's why we tell you to do that in the first post of this thread/guide:

Click on the link for Java SE Version 6 for 32-bit IBM POWER

Sheesh! ;)

Cheers,
Paul

P.S. Oh all right - I'll explain why. :)

Unlike x86 architecture, PowerPC does not have significant advantages running in 64 bit mode. Unless you're doing a lot of 64 bit integer math - or you're addressing more than 4 gigs of system memory - there's no reason to use 64 bit programs for PowerPC. Also, all PowerPC 64 bit instructions are available in 32 bit mode.

In addition, with some PowerPC architectures, there's actually a speed penalty running 64 bit apps - which is different from Intel where running x86_64 can actually improve performance.

See my previous discussion here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3098&p=11887#p11892
for a discussion of why 32 bit is faster on PowerPC architectures.
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby roshi » 07 Feb 2010, 17:02

What a beautiful Sunday Morning! - I hope your day is full of code and questions. I naturally thought, assumed, and second guessed everything on the board about java for YDL. I thought this PowerPC needed 64 bit java. I assumed 32 bit was an option. I second guessed that others had a G4 or another type of machine that was 32 bit. sorry. I read the IBM papers on 64 bit Java for Power. It seems they intend to test code as it pertains to P and I series machines, not Power G5 (apple) machines. I will download the 32 bit java today.

Thank you oh kind master of the keyboard.

-- :lol:
--those who complain rarely read. those who read rarely complain.
roshi
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Previous

Return to Playstation 3