Howto: Install Java plugin for Firefox (YDL 6)

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Re: Howto: Install Java plugin for Firefox (YDL 6)

Postby ppietro » 04 Feb 2009, 07:33

Harman wrote:I can confirm that RuneScape indeed works with java 5 in ydl 6.1.

I'll update the Install Java post - thanks for the update! :D

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby lernatix » 05 Feb 2009, 19:26

3 quick things...

1st: Thankyou!

2nd: Runescape issue, I went to the "View" tab and removed a toolbar
to get a better view and had to resend (F5) the page. Big deal.

3rd: IBM has updated to version 6.0-3.0 - seems fine to me so far.

Now I'm off to try Fantastic Contraption. :D
: 60Gb PS3 : 1TB External : YDL 6.1 : Gnome : 42" LCD : Sound Bar : Daytona 675 :
lernatix
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby ppietro » 06 Feb 2009, 00:26

lernatix wrote:3rd: IBM has updated to version 6.0-3.0 - seems fine to me so far.

Thanks for the updates. It would be interesting to see a benchmark of the performance of this new 6.0 version. The original 6.0 version, although it added new Java 6.0 features, also had a larger memory footprint than 5.0. I have both loaded, but unless something specifically asks for 6.0, I tend to use 5.0

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby puxty » 06 Feb 2009, 06:03

ppietro wrote:
48packet wrote:For starters I am a real noob. I downloaded IBM file and when I try to install it i get an error message saying it is unable to retrieve software information because of a network connection issue. I tried to go through add/remove programs and as soon as i open the app i get a similar message and the program shuts down. My wireless network is operating just fine. Any ideas

What's the exact name of the IBM file you downloaded? Also - how are you trying to install it? (double click? command line? etc.)

The more details you provide, the more we can figure out what's going on. The error message you're getting is not normal.

Cheers,
Paul

Hey there,
I'm also new to linux, i just installed it last night.
I got the same error message when I've just tried to install my Java.
I followed the instructions as meticulously as possible, so I'm not sure why it came up.

Anyway, after I've downloaded the file I double click, on the java installer file that's on my desktop(I wasn't given a choice to run or save, only save).
The name of the file is called ibm-java-ppc-jre-6.0-3.0.ppc.rpm which is the closest name to the one stated in the instructions, I figured this is just a later version.

After I've started the file (right click, double click, whichever) it brings up a window titled "installing packages", and it shows the file being installed; Ibm-Java-ppc-jre - 6.0.3.0 and underneath it the description says IBM 32-bit Linux Runtime for Java V6.

So I select it then click Apply,and it brings up a progress bar "retrieving software information".
almost instantly the error message pops up;
Unable to retrieve software information. This could be caused by not having a network connection available.

Then the process terminates.

My sony's running with a ethernet cable, it seems to be all working fine, except for this.

Thanks for any help you can give me,
Puxty.
puxty
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 06 Feb 2009, 08:07

puxty wrote:After I've started the file (right click, double click, whichever) it brings up a window titled "installing packages", and it shows the file being installed; Ibm-Java-ppc-jre - 6.0.3.0 and underneath it the description says IBM 32-bit Linux Runtime for Java V6.

So I select it then click Apply,and it brings up a progress bar "retrieving software information".
Unable to retrieve software information. This could be caused by not having a network connection available.

It might be missing a software dependency. Try this step:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2935&p=10940#p10940

Also - it sounds like your software repositories are messed up. Can I see the output of this command? (You'll need to open a terminal window as root user)

more /etc/yum.repos.d/*

More won't automatically finish on it's own - it pause when the screen fills. You'll need to hit the spacebar until all the files are printed out.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby puxty » 07 Feb 2009, 00:54

ppietro wrote:
puxty wrote:After I've started the file (right click, double click, whichever) it brings up a window titled "installing packages", and it shows the file being installed; Ibm-Java-ppc-jre - 6.0.3.0 and underneath it the description says IBM 32-bit Linux Runtime for Java V6.

It might be missing a software dependency. Try this step:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2935&p=10940#p10940

Also - it sounds like your software repositories are messed up. Can I see the output of this command? (You'll need to open a terminal window as root user)

more /etc/yum.repos.d/*

More won't automatically finish on it's own - it pause when the screen fills. You'll need to hit the spacebar until all the files are printed out.

Cheers,
Paul

Hello again,

I followed the step you suggested to me, then tried reinstalling the java file and it's a success! Thank you for the help :)

But I ran the terminal command anyway, here's the output:

[root@adam adam]# more /etc/yum.repos.d/*
::::::::::::::
/etc/yum.repos.d/yellowdog-base.repo
#generated by system-config-ydlnet
[base]
name=Yellow Dog Linux 6.1 Base
baseurl=http://adam:******@www.ydl.net/enhanced/yum/6.1/base/
enabled=1
gpgcheck=0
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY
/etc/yum.repos.d/yellowdog-extras.repo
[extras]
name=Yellow Dog Linux 6.1 Extras
baseurl=http://adam:******@www.ydl.net/enhanced/yum/6.1/extras/
enabled=1
gpgcheck=0
/etc/yum.repos.d/yellowdog-updates.repo
[updates]
name=Yellow Dog Linux 6.1 Updates
baseurl=http://adam:******@www.ydl.net/enhanced/yum/6.1/updates/
enabled=1
gpgcheck=0

thanks again for all your help,
Puxty
puxty
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 07 Feb 2009, 02:56

puxty wrote:Hello again,

I followed the step you suggested to me, then tried reinstalling the java file and it's a success! Thank you for the help :)

But I ran the terminal command anyway, here's the output:

So - do you have a YDL Enhanced account?

If not, did you check the "I have a YDL Enhanced account" during setup?

If you did, your repositories for automatic software download are messed up. You need to edit them and change them to the public mirrors according to this post by billb:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4651#p24427

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bonedome » 12 Feb 2009, 12:06

Hello Paul
as the expert on most things linux and java :D I'm directing this post at you but if anyone else knows the answer feel free to post.
In a previous post (which I can't now find) you mentioned using both java 5 and 6 and that 6 was a bit more bloated than 5, I've noticed that since I installed java 6 and run top, java-vm uses a whole lotta cpu/memory (about 23% if downloading something).
My question is where can I get the older version and how do I give it priority especially if they're both in the same directory and does it in fact use less memory, firefox has crashed a few times since java 6 installed.
As always your help is much appreciated (1 p or 2) :?
60Gb ps3 otheros awol. currently playing:bad company and farcry 2 again (seeing how far I can get using permadeath principle)update: regretfully Warren Clyde was involved in a shootout south of Pala and killed when he was hit by a land rover. RIP Warren
bonedome
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby ppietro » 13 Feb 2009, 00:24

bonedome wrote:Hello Paul
as the expert on most things linux and java :D I'm directing this post at you but if anyone else knows the answer feel free to post.
In a previous post (which I can't now find) you mentioned using both java 5 and 6 and that 6 was a bit more bloated than 5, I've noticed that since I installed java 6 and run top, java-vm uses a whole lotta cpu/memory (about 23% if downloading something).
My question is where can I get the older version and how do I give it priority especially if they're both in the same directory and does it in fact use less memory, firefox has crashed a few times since java 6 installed.
As always your help is much appreciated (1 p or 2) :?

No worries - you can get IBM Java 5 from the same(-ish) location:

From the original guide: viewtopic.php?t=2935

there's a note at the bottom of the post:

UPDATE: Thanks to javayoda for mentioning we can use Java 6. :D If you need to use Java 5 instead, select J2SE 5.0 for 32-bit iSeries/pSeries. Download/install this one: ibm-java2-ppc-jre-5.0-6.0.ppc.rpm, and to create the symbolic link, use this:
Code: Select all
ln -s /opt/ibm/java2-ppc-50/jre/bin/libjavaplugin_ojigtk2.so

All other steps remain the same.

The other thing you'll want to do is if you've set-up the symbolic link to Java 6.0 in /usr/local/bin, you'll want to delete it, and create the symbolic link like so:
ln -s /opt/ibm/java2-ppc-50/jre/bin/java /usr/local/bin

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bonedome » 13 Feb 2009, 14:00

Hello
you wouldn't believe the aggro I had trying to download java 5 last night, firstly they (IBM) want a whole lot more made up personal information and once I'd done that the download page just kept timing out, I'll try again tonight
The other thing you'll want to do is if you've set-up the symbolic link to Java 6.0 in /usr/local/bin, you'll want to delete it, and create the symbolic link like so:
ln -s /opt/ibm/java2-ppc-50/jre/bin/java /usr/local/bin

that's easy for you to say :lol: but how do you remove a symbolic link ?
Can I have both 5 and 6 in the mozilla plugins and enable/disable as required ?
60Gb ps3 otheros awol. currently playing:bad company and farcry 2 again (seeing how far I can get using permadeath principle)update: regretfully Warren Clyde was involved in a shootout south of Pala and killed when he was hit by a land rover. RIP Warren
bonedome
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby ppietro » 13 Feb 2009, 18:06

bonedome wrote:that's easy for you to say :lol: but how do you remove a symbolic link ?

Heh - same way you remove a normal file: rm /usr/local/bin/java

bonedome wrote: Can I have both 5 and 6 in the mozilla plugins and enable/disable as required ?

Sorry - I keep forgetting modern Firefoxes have that feature. For me, I just create the two symbolic links for the version I want. One in the mozilla plugins directory and one in /usr/local/bin.

In fact, if you like IBM Java 6.0 for normal applications, but only want the browser to run IBM Java 5.0, you can leave the symbolic links set up that way, too. (Mozilla plugin to 5.0, /usr/local/bin to 6.0)

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby redfox45 » 14 Feb 2009, 02:05

I dont suppose that unchecked things in the package manager that say java would help install Java would it?

Is this the only way? get it off IBM or using the terminal? (which I really dont want to do)

I tried getting an account with IBM and whenever I try to log in it doesnt recognise my info. I didnt get any confrmation e-mails. I cant get in did anybody else come across this?
redfox45
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 14 Feb 2009, 07:51

redfox45 wrote:I dont suppose that unchecked things in the package manager that say java would help install Java would it?

Unfortunately, no. The Java in the package manager is not true Java. It's an open source reverse engineered version of Java (GCJ) from the GNU gcc folks that is bloated, slow and buggy.

redfox45 wrote:Is this the only way? get it off IBM or using the terminal? (which I really dont want to do)

Yes - you have to get it from IBM and Yes - it's easiest to load it from the terminal.

Unfortunately, Sun does not provide a PowerPC version of Java. However - IBM does - and their Java is directly licensed from Sun. So - realistically - this is the only option for PowerPC computers like PS3s, older Macs, IBM Blade servers, etc. GCJ just isn't worth your time or effort.

redfox45 wrote:I tried getting an account with IBM and whenever I try to log in it doesnt recognise my info. I didnt get any confrmation e-mails. I cant get in did anybody else come across this?

Nope - worked perfectly for me. I still have an account with them and use it from time to time
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bonedome » 14 Feb 2009, 12:27

Ha how stupid do I feel
Heh - same way you remove a normal file: rm /usr/local/bin/java

Just to let you know if you have java 5 and 6 plugins installed you can't seem to enable them separately you've either got java on or off, I tried downloading something with them both enabled and download speed was down to about 80 kbps, I don't know if this was me having low bandwidth at the time or the two javas arguing as to who had right of way :lol: and I have 5 as mozilla plugin and 6 in usr/local/bin
bonedome
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby Irtehpasty » 06 Mar 2009, 22:29

When I create the symbolic link it says the link already exists, so I restart Firefox 3 and on the about:plugins page it doesn't show up.

I'm a bit of a linux noob, so any help is appreciated.
Irtehpasty
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

PreviousNext

Return to Playstation 3