Howto: Install software (the easy way) YDL 6

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Re: Howto: Install software (the easy way) YDL 6

Postby neopablo » 21 Feb 2012, 15:49

Thnaks Billb!
Disabling yellowdog-extras improved time, but still getting "skipping reposetup, pkgsack exists" legend, although it take less time (about 2 minutes) for it to work. I guess I have another conflicting repo. Before adding Fedora and Livna, I had my repos configured with standard yellow dog plus ps3bodega. But i wanted to give swfdec a try instead of gnash, and the mozilla-plugin wasnt available from ps3bodega. So, thats why i decided to try fedora repos, and actually it did show swfdec-mozilla. But the mentioned problem appeared. So, should i revert back to use standard plus ps3bodega? I thought that being my notebook a pc, not a PS3, it would make more sense to have fedora and livna, instead of ps3bodega. At this time, my active repos are: yellowdog-base, yellowdog-updates, livna-stable and fedora-extras. Disabled ones are: yellowdog-extras, dribble, ps3bodega and ps3bodega-testing. Waiting for your advice, and i really appreciate your help! :). I huge hug from Argentina

Update: Checking the livna-stable repo, i read its considered "base". Am i right? if this is the case, could it be conflicting with yellowdog-base? If so.. wich one to disable? Just trying to put more light over this :)

Update2: Just to try, I disabled yellowdog-base, with same results. So, I enabled it back again.
neopablo
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 21 Feb 2012, 17:21

I can save you some time and tell you that swfdec, at least the version available to us in the repos, doesn't work very well either (vs our version of gnash) and it tends to become a memory/cpu hog when visiting sites with lots of flash-based stuff.

If you're looking for something to let you view Youtube videos, you may want to check out minitube (available on ps3bodega).

neopablo wrote:At this time, my active repos are: yellowdog-base, yellowdog-updates, livna-stable and fedora-extras. Disabled ones are: yellowdog-extras, dribble, ps3bodega and ps3bodega-testing.

Unless there's something specific you need from livna or fedora-extras that isn't available on ps3bodega, the fastest setup would be:

yellowdog-base, yellowdog-extras, yellowdog-updates, and ps3bodega

And uninstall (yum erase yum-protectbase) or disable protectbase (change all repo files to have protect=0)

Dribble is apparently dead now so you can delete that one or just leave it disabled. There isn't anything in ps3bodega-testing at this time, although I may be putting an updated version of Qt4 in there sometime soon. Best to leave it disabled as well.

Update: Checking the livna-stable repo, i read its considered "base". Am i right? if this is the case, could it be conflicting with yellowdog-base? If so.. wich one to disable?

No, you definitely don't want to disable yellowdog-base. Livna was not something intended to replace the "base" repo for any Linux distro. They had stable, unstable, and testing, and I guess you could consider Livna "stable" the foundation for using the LIvna repos at all. yellowdog-base provides the basic packages that make up YDL including the kernel, desktop / GUI, etc. Livna provides packages that some Linux distros didn't want to include for whatever reason.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby neopablo » 22 Feb 2012, 22:34

Thank you so very very much for your help, and kindness :-). So i consider myself satisfied! If there is any way i could help in this forum, count me in. Perhaps.. the next spanish forum?? hahaha! See you soon with my next question! ;-)
neopablo
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Previous

Return to Playstation 3