Howto: Install software (the easy way) YDL 6

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Re: Howto: Install software (the easy way) YDL 6

Postby Keiran » 08 Dec 2008, 14:36

Hey all.

First i just want to say that i've been reading through the forum and i've managed to install YDL on the Playstation and get the wireless to work, without protection though. And im displaying at 1080p full screen so it's goin ok. I tried following this little tutorial though and i've gone wrong somewhere. I have no idea where. If it's of any help i ran "yum check-update" in my terminal and got...

[root@localhost ~]# yum check-update
Loading "installonlyn" plugin
Config Error: File contains no section headers.
file: file://///etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-extras.repo, line: 1
' [fedora-extras]\n'
[root@localhost ~]#

If anyone can help me out. I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
Keiran
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby Keiran » 08 Dec 2008, 15:08

Hi again.

Sorry but i mended it now!

Cheers!

:)
Keiran
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby jdub.segars » 10 Dec 2008, 17:04

I have a couple of questions I'm stuck on. Please excuse me if these sound a bit ignorant. The Fedora 6 that all this is pointing at, why would it not point at the latest repositories for Fedora 10? Is there something special about this release of Fedora (e.g. this is a "long term support" release)? If that is the case the link that was provided on the initial post, the one that points to the place where you can download the updates you want directly, doesn't go anywhere. The issue I'm having is a package, IBM XL C/C++ compiler, that I'm trying to install requires a newer build of gcc (4.1.2, instead of the 4.1.1 that comes with YDL 6). Since I have the protectbase implemented it won't let me install 4.1.2 as it's not in the YDL 6 repo. Is there another way around this or have I missed something? Thanks in advance for the help.
jdub.segars
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 10 Dec 2008, 22:59

jdub.segars wrote:I have a couple of questions I'm stuck on. Please excuse me if these sound a bit ignorant. The Fedora 6 that all this is pointing at, why would it not point at the latest repositories for Fedora 10?

Because, starting with 6.0, YDL is not based on Fedora anymore - it's based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux (via the CentOS recompile.)

RHEL lags about 3 releases behind Fedora. Using modern Fedora libraries can cause serious damage to your RHEL/YDL/CentOS installation.

There's information about this here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_hat_en ... tributions

(We're based off RHEL/CentOS 5.x)

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CronoCloud » 11 Dec 2008, 05:21

ppietro wrote:
RHEL lags about 3 releases behind Fedora. Using modern Fedora libraries can cause serious damage to your RHEL/YDL/CentOS installation.

Cheers,
Paul

Can't emphasize that enough.

But If one needs something more modern than what's included in YDL, a source install (after setting up your system to compile from source and put compiled stuff in /usr/local/foo) works fine. At least, it works fine for me. I probably ought to be running Fedora since it's more desktop oriented, but I don't mind having older (and stable) apps for the most part as long as I can compile the few things I want to keep up to date from source. (Claws Mail, Xchat, pidgin/carrier, the GIMP, vim, rxvt, nethack, gnupg). Wouldn't mind having OpenOffice 3 either, but I am NOT compiling that sucker from source.

Besides, one of the reasons I chose YDL was because of the "Linux on PS3 friendly" community.

Ron Rogers Jr. (CronoCloud)
CECHE01 PS3 (MGS4 80GB Bundle) without OtherOS and with an upgraded 320GB HD
Running Fedora 23 on a Compaq Presario CQ5320F upgraded with a Phenom X4 and GT640
Vizio E221A1 22" 1080P TV with HDMI, using 1080P over HDMI
PSN ID: CronoCloudAuron
CronoCloud

Postby CronoCloud » 21 Dec 2008, 07:49

Same repo setup work for YDL 6.1? Just want to make sure before I set it up.

Running Fedora 23 on a Compaq Presario CQ5320F upgraded with a Phenom X4 and GT640
CronoCloud

Postby billb » 22 Dec 2008, 16:09

I need to update this post with the correct default repos for 6.1, but other than that I believe there are no problems using livna, fedora-extras, and dribble (or fedora-extras + ps3bodega) as suggested. Please post here if you run into problems with this setup on YDL 6.1.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CronoCloud » 23 Dec 2008, 01:58

billb wrote: Please post here if you run into problems with this setup on YDL 6.1.

Same additional repos seem to work fine. Just a reminder for everyone to setup protectbase as described for 6.0 The only problems I'm having are permissions issues related to copying back my user stuff from that FAT32 HD. I should have tarred em up before backing them up, to maintain proper permissions, but didn't think of doing that. Doh!

CronoCloud

Postby ppietro » 23 Dec 2008, 07:22

CronoCloud wrote:The only problems I'm having are permissions issues related to copying back my user stuff from that FAT32 HD. I should have tarred em up before backing them up, to maintain proper permissions, but didn't think of doing that. Doh!

Yup - tar is almost mandatory for backing up to FAT32. Not that you need it CronoCloud, but for others that don't know what we're talking about, I posted a good guide to tar here:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3563&p=15255#p15255

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby oldfart » 26 Dec 2008, 16:48

also having problems with sqlite.bz2 error
see viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3876&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=15
oldfart
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby kolonel_kahlua » 30 Dec 2008, 20:29

HI. I'm new to YDL so don't be too surprised if this is something I've messed up!

I've successfully gone through the "Install software (the easy way) YDL 6" guide above. Once I had ran through it, I started Package Manager and set it to install vlc, mplayer and asked it to update fedora repos.

My aim was to get flash working on YDL 6.1 using gnash but I then seen other possible solutions and I was looking into creating new repos. But before I got that far Package Manager failed to start, returning this error log:
Code: Select all
Error Information:
   An exit code of 1 was returned from /usr/bin/pup.

Output Data:
   Loading "protectbase" plugin

Error Logs:
   There was no error message

Looking through some of the Q&A's posted above, I can see that I can get an output to see what's happening by running 'yum check-update'
. This returns the following:

Code: Select all
http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/6.1/ppc/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 14] HTTP Error 404: Not Found
Trying other mirror.
http://livna.cat.pdx.edu/fedora/6.1/ppc/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 14] HTTP Error 404: Not Found
Trying other mirror.
http://wftp.tu-chemnitz.de/pub/linux/livna/fedora/6.1/ppc/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 14] HTTP Error 404: Not Found
Trying other mirror.
http://ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de/pub/Mirrors/rpm.livna.org/fedora/6.1/ppc/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 14] HTTP Error 404: Not Found
Trying other mirror.
http://mirror.atrpms.net/livna/fedora/6.1/ppc/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 14] HTTP Error 404: Not Found
Trying other mirror.
ftp://mirrors.tummy.com/pub/rpm.livna.org/fedora/6.1/ppc/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 4] IOError: [Errno ftp error] 550 Failed to change directory.
Trying other mirror.
Error: Cannot open/read repomd.xml file for repository: livna

I looked at some of the links that yum is trying to access and they are not there. The issue being (simply) that there are no directories available for '6.1'. IN other words, if all the instances of '6.1' above are replaced by '6.0' there should be no problems?

I guess what I'm asking boils down to this:
-If I was wrong to ask package manager to look for updates from the fedora repo (whether it's redundant or not useful are reasons too), how do I remove this from my repos? Alternatively, how do I correct them?
-Is the 6.0 guide above still valid?

I don't think it's a 'server' not being there' issue. I've been to the links and it's literally just 6.0 being replaced by 6.1.

Thanks for your time,

-Kolonel

p.s. Great guide. I doubt I'd have got far without it.
kolonel_kahlua
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby kolonel_kahlua » 30 Dec 2008, 21:03

Hi

I've found a work around. I've edited livna.repo so that it is no longer 'enabled'. This was done by setting the first 'enabled' flag in the file to 0. I presume I'm resetting what I had done earlier in Package Manager! So It was me fooling around that caused the problem!

Sorry for wasting any time.

-Kolonel
kolonel_kahlua
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby sa330206 » 12 Jan 2009, 02:59

***EDIT: After restarting the PS3, I found that all of this stuff is now under "Uncategorized." Strange but at least I can get to the stuff... ***

I can't figure out what is going on with my repos. Yesterday I accidentally added some incompatible ones so I could no longer "add/remove programs." I deleted the extra ones (only leaving the original 3 + the 3 third party ones I added using the tutorial). When I went to add/remove programs, most of the stuff is missing. For example under desktop environments XFCE is the only one listed now. I went into the folder and deleted every repo and added all 6 of them again (copying and pasting them from the tutorial). I am still missing the same amount of stuff (applications only has educational software listed etc). I also tried to run the EZRepos.rpm from the tutorial but it says it has already been installed. Any idea how to get these back to normal?

Also I guess I should add.. running "yum repolist" shows the following..

[steve@localhost ~]$ yum repolist
repo id repo name status
base Yellow Dog Linux 6.1 Base enabled
dribble Dribble for Fedora 7 - ppc enabled
extras Yellow Dog Linux 6.1 Extras enabled
fedora-extras Fedora Extras enabled
livna-stable Livna.org Fedora Compatible Packages (st enabled
updates Yellow Dog Linux 6.1 Updates enabled
sa330206
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby 48packet » 13 Jan 2009, 03:52

I am having a really hard time understanding what is going on here. I have spent hours on these forums trying to find the answer to my problem. I cannot install anything!!! I belive this is the correct thread for my problem. My Add/Remove program does not work which prevens me from doing anything, it gives me an error message saying "Unable to Retrieve Update Information. This could be caused by having no network connection" I have seen others on the forums with the same problem and they are told to fix repos, but as noob as i am i do not understand how to open or even view repos.

I am able to view the repo files through the "My computer" app but they have red Xs over them, they cannot be opened. AM i supposed to run them through the terminal somehow? what command do i use?

I was able to view them using the more command and noticed the only difference in text were the websites. The forums say the line should read with a terrasoft solutions url whereas mine has my username along with the ydl.net url
48packet
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 13 Jan 2009, 04:48

48packet wrote:I am having a really hard time understanding what is going on here. I have spent hours on these forums trying to find the answer to my problem. I cannot install anything!!! I belive this is the correct thread for my problem. My Add/Remove program does not work which prevens me from doing anything, it gives me an error message saying "Unable to Retrieve Update Information. This could be caused by having no network connection" I have seen others on the forums with the same problem and they are told to fix repos, but as noob as i am i do not understand how to open or even view repos.

I am able to view the repo files through the "My computer" app but they have red Xs over them, they cannot be opened. AM i supposed to run them through the terminal somehow? what command do i use?

I was able to view them using the more command and noticed the only difference in text were the websites. The forums say the line should read with a terrasoft solutions url whereas mine has my username along with the ydl.net url

Sounds like a permission issue.

Here's a quick question. Have you tried accessing these as root user? You will need to be root user to add or remove programs.

You can do this by logging in as root from the main YDL login screen.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Playstation 3