Howto: Install software (the easy way) YDL 6

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Postby billb » 13 Mar 2008, 13:34

agentn2o wrote:Thanks for this thread, got all repos and protectbase set and running but I have a general question wrt the RPMs...

How do updates work? Will the system check for updated software packages that I have installed when I load the Add/Remove Software app or do I have to run "yum check-updates" or some other command? For example I have VLC 0.8.6c installed, will I have to manually search for VLC updates periodically or will I somehow be notified?

By default you should have a service running called yum-updatesd -- "This is a daemon which periodically checks for updates and can send notifications via mail, dbus or syslog." A window should pop up notifying you of updates.

Or you can just use yum check-updates as you mentioned. However, since we're using repos for Fedora Core 6, there may be few updates coming to these because the current version of Fedora is 8, with Fedora 9 in alpha. There will still be updates for yellowdog, of course.

Trying to use more recent repos such as ones for Fedora 7 creates a great deal of trouble, so I think this is the best way to go at the moment. On the bright side, fewer updates is not such a bad thing. Depending on what software you use, updates don't always go smoothly. Often you'll find that updates may break something, change the way it works, etc. instead of just adding/improving features.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby rYo » 17 Mar 2008, 23:57

Hi, I'm extremely new to YDL and have been reading about it for a while now. I'm interested in installing this onto my PS3 but the only thing stopping me is the whole installing programs situation. I don't understand how I do it and its been bugging me because YDL seems like a great OS but linux is daunting since I'm so used to Windows XP. I just want to turn my PS3 into a pseudo-computer. So any help would be great. By the way an example of the programs that I would like to install is Quicktax. I've searched the forums and there hasn't been a definitive answer that solves my concern. Thanks for all the help.
rYo
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 18 Mar 2008, 00:39

rYo wrote:Hi, I'm extremely new to YDL and have been reading about it for a while now. I'm interested in installing this onto my PS3 but the only thing stopping me is the whole installing programs situation. I don't understand how I do it and its been bugging me because YDL seems like a great OS but linux is daunting since I'm so used to Windows XP. I just want to turn my PS3 into a pseudo-computer. So any help would be great. By the way an example of the programs that I would like to install is Quicktax. I've searched the forums and there hasn't been a definitive answer that solves my concern. Thanks for all the help.

Well - if you're used to Windows XP, you might find Linux frustrating at first. That's because most commercial software is released for Windows only.

Take Quicktax for example. That software has no official Linux version. The primary way to get it to run in Linux is via WINE - which is a "windows emulator" (notice the quotes - it's not really an emulator, per se) that allows you to run Windows programs in Linux.

Except that Wine is for x86 architecture processors (i.e. Intel/AMD) and doesn't work with the PowerPC processor in the PS3. :(

That doesn't mean that you can't find good programs for Linux. It just means that the programs you're used to - with the exceptions of things like Firefox or Java - don't exist and you have to find open source alternatives that do the same functions.

A typical example of this would be Microsoft Office. No Linux version exists of this - instead, try the open source alternative Open Office.

The good thing about YDL is that it uses YUM, which automates the finding and installing of these programs. By adding master repositories, you can take advantange of Linux libraries throughout the world, and add software by a simple mouse click.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby billb » 18 Mar 2008, 01:25

ppietro wrote:
rYo wrote:Hi, I'm extremely new to YDL and have been reading about it for a while now. I'm interested in installing this onto my PS3 but the only thing stopping me is the whole installing programs situation. I don't understand how I do it and its been bugging me because YDL seems like a great OS but linux is daunting since I'm so used to Windows XP. I just want to turn my PS3 into a pseudo-computer. So any help would be great. By the way an example of the programs that I would like to install is Quicktax. I've searched the forums and there hasn't been a definitive answer that solves my concern. Thanks for all the help.

That doesn't mean that you can't find good programs for Linux. It just means that the programs you're used to - with the exceptions of things like Firefox or Java - don't exist and you have to find open source alternatives that do the same functions.

A typical example of this would be Microsoft Office. No Linux version exists of this - instead, try the open source alternative Open Office.

It might be a good idea to start installing some open source alternatives on Windows XP so you can get used to the programs first -- that could help ease the transition process since you'd already be familiar with some of the applications. In addition to Firefox and Open Office, you might want to check out GIMP for image editing and Thunderbird for email, Pidgin for instant messaging, VLC for your media player, etc.
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby keefy » 26 Mar 2008, 05:08

Archive tools
unrar extracts .rar files click here or open terminal & type
Code: Select all
yum install unrar

p7zip extracts .7z files
Code: Select all
yum install p7zip

Both are available in the add-remove programs if you added the repos.
keefy
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby Chaossoul » 05 Apr 2008, 19:46

hey i was wondering i have install the new java but im always stuck with the adobe flash player and i removed gnash and it loads the youtube videos but it says when i put about:plugins in firefox that my java is 1.6 and my adobe is the latest one but i still cant watch vids on youtube or any other site. help plz
Chaossoul
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby Blingswinger » 06 Apr 2008, 01:18

Woot I'm in the 6.0 forum.

ok can someone give me any helpfull info on swfdec?

Thanks in advance. :D
Blingswinger
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby uncholowapo » 06 Apr 2008, 01:28

Don't double post use the search tool on the top of the page.
PS3 40GB has YDL 6.1 running 480i on a piece of $#!% Sanyo 24 incher. Need to go to 1080p.
uncholowapo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby ah394496 » 23 Apr 2008, 19:53

thank you for your reply! i followed the link you sent me but am unfortunately having the following problem now:

alright, i've gotten everything installed to access the add software feature. i added ezrepos-2 but as soon as i did i was greeted with this error message when trying to access the new repos:

unable to retrieve software information. this could be caused by not having a network connection available

details: none

i'm not quit sure what to do as i have followed all the guides and tutorials. the internet connection is active as i can still surf around firefox and i was able to use add software until i downloaded the exrepos-2.

ack!
ah394496
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 23 Apr 2008, 20:12

ah394496 wrote:thank you for your reply! i followed the link you sent me but am unfortunately having the following problem now:

alright, i've gotten everything installed to access the add software feature. i added ezrepos-2 but as soon as i did i was greeted with this error message when trying to access the new repos:

unable to retrieve software information. this could be caused by not having a network connection available

details: none

i'm not quit sure what to do as i have followed all the guides and tutorials. the internet connection is active as i can still surf around firefox and i was able to use add software until i downloaded the exrepos-2.

ack!

Please open a terminal window and give me the output of:

yum check-update

This is just a command to check for available updates, but it's the output I'm interested in.
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

=)

Postby ah394496 » 23 Apr 2008, 21:05

you got it.
sadly i'm re-installing everything now, i want to make sure i didn't do anything wrong on my end. as soon as i get the system back to where i had it an hour or so ago i will let you know what it says.
i really appreciate the help =)
ah394496
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

okay

Postby ah394496 » 23 Apr 2008, 21:39

okay, i set up additional repos and now when i go to 'package manager' there is a new 'uncategorized' section that includes:

base for rpm.livna.org RHM-Repositiry
Fedora packager
windows manager

which of these do i need as last time it was after doing these things that things went awry. also, which repos do i need to manually add? i added dribble through the 'terminal' as the guide suggests and that's about it. i'm afraid to go any further as this is where i dropped the ball last time. please let me know how to proceed and many thanks for getting back to me as well as wording things so i can understand them =)
ah394496
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: okay

Postby billb » 23 Apr 2008, 22:08

ah394496 wrote:okay, i set up additional repos and now when i go to 'package manager' there is a new 'uncategorized' section that includes:

base for rpm.livna.org RHM-Repositiry
Fedora packager
windows manager

Not sure what you're referring to ... OK ... I loaded the 'package manager' (Add/Remove Software) and I see those. Nothing in this guide suggests doing anything with those, so leave them alone. :)

The ones I (and many others here) use are the same as listed in the guide ... the three default yellowdog repos, plus fedora-extras, livna-stable, and dribble. You can either add them manually or install them using the ezrepos RPM (all it does is add the correct files in the correct location).

And if you run into trouble, don't re-install again -- in most cases we can figure out what's going wrong.
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

=)

Postby ah394496 » 23 Apr 2008, 22:39

okee dokee. i tried to download the dribble apps from this link:

http://dribble.org.uk/...rpms14.html

i downloaded all the mame files as well as nestopia and one on another site for snes. unfortunately nestopia is the only one that ran and i could not get it to be full screen. is that listrpms14 link good to use? i'm not sure what i'm doing wrong to get mame going. thanks!
ah394496
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: =)

Postby billb » 24 Apr 2008, 05:45

ah394496 wrote:okee dokee. i tried to download the dribble apps from this link:

http://dribble.org.uk/...rpms14.html <- LINK BROKEN

i downloaded all the mame files as well as nestopia and one on another site for snes. unfortunately nestopia is the only one that ran and i could not get it to be full screen. is that listrpms14 link good to use? i'm not sure what i'm doing wrong to get mame going. thanks!

Alternatively, you could just follow the guide as described in the first post ... :P (add the repos, then yum install sdlmame or select it in Add/Remove programs / Package Manager) Are you having trouble with part of it? Feel free to PM me for help with it.

I broke your link since it points to Dribble's FC6 RPM's and the guide suggests using FC7 RPMs from Dribble. And the version of sdlmame in Dribble's FC6 packages (0.121) does NOT work on YDL 6.

At one time I was recommending we use the FC6 RPMs from Dribble because the VICE C64 emulator from Dribble's FC7 RPMs doesn't work on YDL 6, but it turns out that more stuff from Dribble's FC7 packages work on YDL6 than not. :D
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Playstation 3