Re: Howto: Install software (the easy way) YDL 6

Postby damian1201 » 14 Oct 2008, 22:36

I found the fresh.repo file but i can't delete it please help
damian1201
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby damian1201 » 14 Oct 2008, 22:45

Yes i fixed it myself i went into gedit and copy the file and made enabled=1 to enabled=0 and fix yes but thanks for the help though.Gonna go play some snes games see yah.
damian1201
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby mihaiolimpiu » 30 Oct 2008, 22:09

For the controllers to work over bluetooth use this guide... Also remember that forum, there is a lot of info there compiled by Billb!
http://pleasantfiction.ipower.com/bodeg ... 0&t=16#p26
PS3 60 Gb PAL running Ubuntu Jaunty / Gnome
mihaiolimpiu
ydl addict
ydl addict

Getting Update Erro

Postby godmanliving » 06 Nov 2008, 07:02

The error I am receiving is similar to one that has already been posted in this forum. I have followed the guide, checked and rechecked my repo's and read through most of the posts on this thread but nothing is working. I don't want to reinstall this system if I don't have to. The error I am getting whenever I try to use the updater is "Unable to Retrieve Update Information. This could be caused by having no network connection." The following is from my yum check-update.
Code: Select all
 yum check-update
Loading "installonlyn" plugin
http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/6.0/ppc/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 14] HTTP Error 404: Not Found
Trying other mirror.
http://livna.cat.pdx.edu/fedora/6.0/ppc/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 14] HTTP Error 404: Not Found
Trying other mirror.
http://wftp.tu-chemnitz.de/pub/linux/livna/fedora/6.0/ppc/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 14] HTTP Error 404: Not Found
Trying other mirror.
http://ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de/pub/Mirrors/rpm.livna.org/fedora/6.0/ppc/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 14] HTTP Error 404: Not Found
Trying other mirror.
http://mirror.atrpms.net/livna/fedora/6.0/ppc/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 14] HTTP Error 404: Not Found
Trying other mirror.
ftp://mirrors.tummy.com/pub/rpm.livna.org/fedora/6.0/ppc/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 4] IOError: [Errno ftp error] 550 Failed to change directory.
Trying other mirror.
Error: Cannot open/read repomd.xml file for repository: livna

I have installed the protect thingy and both of my yellow dog repo's have the protect=1 in them. Any help is much appreciated. Thank you in advance.
godmanliving
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 06 Nov 2008, 12:51

godmanliving wrote:The error I am receiving is similar to one that has already been posted in this forum. I have followed the guide, checked and rechecked my repo's and read through most of the posts on this thread but nothing is working. I don't want to reinstall this system if I don't have to. The error I am getting whenever I try to use the updater is "Unable to Retrieve Update Information. This could be caused by having no network connection." The following is from my yum check-update.

Please post the output of:

rpm -q yum-protectbase

And the FULL output of:

more /etc/yum.repos.d/*
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby godmanliving » 07 Nov 2008, 04:35

Well unfortunately I jacked up my kernel somehow trying to do warp speed 3 and ended up having to reinstall. At any rate, I believe that the protectbase plugin was not installed correctly because it never loaded before whenever I would try and update. It loads now just fine and I have the repos installed and everything works great. Thanks for the timely response.
godmanliving
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby epdrumman » 19 Nov 2008, 07:16

Hello all :)

Im trying the set up the repos as explained on the first page of the thread. I do the normal su --> (password) --> gedit steps, then i copy and past what was mentioned for the fedora redo, and when i click Save As to set the save destination gedit just hangs. I sat with it open hoping it would come back to it senses while browsing here for like 10min and it just wouldnt do anything. Am i do something to use too much memory or cpu or something to make gedit stop responding. Oh one more thing. Where would i find emulators i installed. I installed the one that started with a M, and i cant find it and also how do i configure it.
epdrumman
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby bonedome » 19 Nov 2008, 23:08

Hello
Ok first thing with gedit hanging, it may have just been a one off, but to help don't have anything else running and if you're copying and pasting from this forum don't have any other tabs open in firefox.
As for your downloads if you click on preferences in firefox (it's in file or edit sorry can't remember and not at ps3, indeed I am, yet AGAIN on my girlfriend's computer using up all her electricity, even after she bought me a meal tonight and I didn't even say thank you!!!!!!!) in main, half way down it says downloads > save files to, you can then choose where to save , I have also noticed the default file for extracting archived/untarred files (using archive manager) is tmp.
All underlined text is my highly unimpressed girlfriend's work :lol:
60Gb ps3 otheros awol. currently playing:bad company and farcry 2 again (seeing how far I can get using permadeath principle)update: regretfully Warren Clyde was involved in a shootout south of Pala and killed when he was hit by a land rover. RIP Warren
bonedome
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby billb » 30 Nov 2008, 14:25

lol @ bonedome's girlfriend :D

@ epdrumman: Re: gedit, I've seen it lock up like that if you just use su by itself before starting gedit instead of su -l or su -. So be sure you use:

su -l

(that's a lowercase L, not a number 1)
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jms1289 » 05 Dec 2008, 06:58

At the protectbase step i keep getting this reply:

[root@unknown-00-19-c5-ff-e2-f9 ~]# yum install yum-protectbase
Config Error: File contains no section headers.
file: file://///etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-extras.repo, line: 1
'fedora-extras]\n'
[root@unknown-00-19-c5-ff-e2-f9 ~]#
[root@unknown-00-19-c5-ff-e2-f9 ~]# echo 'protect=1' >> /etc/yum.repos.d/yellowdog-base.repo
[root@unknown-00-19-c5-ff-e2-f9 ~]# echo 'protect=1' >> /etc/yum.repos.d/yellowdog-updates.repo

not sure whats going on, and if icheck it i get this:

[root@unknown-00-19-c5-ff-e2-f9 ~]# yum repolist
'fedora-extras]\n'
[root@unknown-00-19-c5-ff-e2-f9 ~]#

Any help appreciated as i only got linux today and finding it hard to get to grips with. Thanx
jms1289
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 05 Dec 2008, 07:44

jms1289 wrote:file: file://///etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-extras.repo, line: 1'fedora-extras]\n'

Looks like you're missing a bracket in fedora-extras -- better double-check that file and make sure it matches what's listed in the guide.

su -l

<root password>

gedit /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-extras.repo

The first line should be:

[fedora-extras]

not

fedora-extras]
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jms1289 » 05 Dec 2008, 07:58

billb wrote:
jms1289 wrote:file: file://///etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-extras.repo, line: 1'fedora-extras]\n'

Looks like you're missing a bracket in fedora-extras -- better double-check that file and make sure it matches what's listed in the guide.

su -l

<root password>

gedit /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-extras.repo

The first line should be:

[fedora-extras]

not

fedora-extras]

Spot on, its all good now thanx, better watch out for typos in linux it dont like em does it lol
jms1289
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby rockstar1009 » 06 Dec 2008, 11:10

Okay, yet another ydl n00b here. I'm getting the same error jms1289 kept running into:

[root@localhost ~]# yum install yum-protectbase
' [fedora-extras]\n'
[root@localhost ~]#
[root@localhost ~]# echo 'protect=1' >> /etc/yum.repos.d/yellowdog-base.repo
[root@localhost ~]# echo 'protect=1' >> /etc/yum.repos.d/yellowdog-updates.repo

And when I check the repolist, same thing again:

[root@localhost ~]# yum repolist
' [fedora-extras]\n'

I've checked and rechecked to make sure spelling and punctuation are correct, and as far as I can tell, it's all good, but maybe I'm missing something (I was up late playing around with this, so it's very possible the lack of sleep is causing me to overlook something super obvious). Suggestions?

Thanks!
20g PS3 (upgraded to 320g 5600 rpm WDScorpio )
42" 1080p LCD HDTV
rockstar1009
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 06 Dec 2008, 12:20

' [fedora-extras]\n'

Looks like you have a space in front of [fedora-extras] ... you'll need to edit that file and remove any extra spaces at the beginning of each line.
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby rockstar1009 » 06 Dec 2008, 20:24

billb wrote:
' [fedora-extras]\n'

Looks like you have a space in front of [fedora-extras] ... you'll need to edit that file and remove any extra spaces at the beginning of each line.

4 spaces, in fact. I didn't think anything of it, because of the 3 repos posted, all of them showed up with 4 leading spaces ahead of each line when I pasted them.

Thanks a million billb! Your keen vision saves the day once again! Now if I could only figure out why my ydl has a tendency to crash and return to the log in screen, I'll be all set.

Also, thanks for this site. It's incredibly helpful. Keep up the good work! 8)
20g PS3 (upgraded to 320g 5600 rpm WDScorpio )
42" 1080p LCD HDTV
rockstar1009
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

PreviousNext

Return to Playstation 3