Howto: Install software (the easy way) YDL 6

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Re: Howto: Install software (the easy way) YDL 6

Postby billb » 15 Jul 2010, 20:24

xnonsuchx wrote:BTW, it appears that Fixstars recently changed its YDL 6.2 mirrorlist to only point to the mirror at OSU, which appears to have March 2010 and June 2010 file in the Updates repo that include files that don't work with YDL 6.2 on PS3. Namely, the util-linux-2.13-0.52.1.ppc.rpm update includes an updated /sbin/hwclock binary, causing YDL 6.2 on PS3 to not be able to sync its clock to the system clock and will always think it's double however many hours you are behind GMT behind the current time (e.g. if it's noon Pacific US DS time (7p GMT), it will think it's 5a the same day instead), and will show sync errors during boot/shutdown.

If you backup the /sbin/hwclock file after initial install and restore it after doing a yum update, it should work fine, but I wonder how many other newer updates may not be compatible.

UPDATE: After looking further, it looks like Fixstar's main repo now just resolves to the OSU site. After checking several other working repos, only the OSU site has the March-June '10 newer files in the updates repo, so I'm not sure if something weird (and untested) is going on or if the other mirrors just haven't added those updates yet. It's still disconcerting to me, so for the time-being, I've changed my YDL repo files and created my own mlist mirror list files (w/o the OSU one included).

I finally got around to updating my system and see the issue you've described -- will look into it.

EDIT: Owen says he's pulled the offending RPM now.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby billb » 17 Jul 2010, 02:32

xnonsuchx wrote:BTW, it appears that Fixstars recently changed its YDL 6.2 mirrorlist to only point to the mirror at OSU, which appears to have March 2010 and June 2010 file in the Updates repo that include files that don't work with YDL 6.2 on PS3. Namely, the util-linux-2.13-0.52.1.ppc.rpm update includes an updated /sbin/hwclock binary, causing YDL 6.2 on PS3 to not be able to sync its clock to the system clock and will always think it's double however many hours you are behind GMT behind the current time (e.g. if it's noon Pacific US DS time (7p GMT), it will think it's 5a the same day instead), and will show sync errors during boot/shutdown.

The util-linux update has been pulled now, but in case anyone needs to revert back to the old version here are instructions:

1. Open a terminal window (Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal)

2. See what version you have by entering the following command:

Code: Select all
rpm -q util-linux

If it shows "util-linux-2.13-0.52.1" you'll want to go back to the previous version. If you have "util-linux-2.13-0.47.ydl6.2" then you're fine and don't need to roll back.

3. If you do need to go back to the previous version, here's how:

3a. Become root using the su command:

su

<root password>

3b. Grab the original file:
wget http://ydl.oregonstate.edu/releases/yellowdog-6.2/os/YellowDog/util-linux-2.13-0.47.ydl6.2.ppc.rpm

3c. Confirm the file is OK:
md5sum util-linux-2.13-0.47.ydl6.2.ppc.rpm

Expected result:
962260d8fb27cfd2f4f4511cb0c3f98e util-linux-2.13-0.47.ydl6.2.ppc.rpm

3d. Remove the old version, not taking any depencies with it:

rpm --erase --nodeps util-linux

3e. Install the version you downloaded in step 3b.

rpm -ivh util-linux-2.13-0.47.ydl6.2.ppc.rpm

That's it -- you can exit / close the terminal window now.
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby xnonsuchx » 17 Jul 2010, 03:47

billb wrote:

If you backup the /sbin/hwclock file after initial install and restore it after doing a yum update, it should work fine, but I wonder how many other newer updates may not be compatible.

UPDATE: After looking further, it looks like Fixstar's main repo now just resolves to the OSU site. After checking several other working repos, only the OSU site has the March-June '10 newer files in the updates repo, so I'm not sure if something weird (and untested) is going on or if the other mirrors just haven't added those updates yet. It's still disconcerting to me, so for the time-being, I've changed my YDL repo files and created my own mlist mirror list files (w/o the OSU one included).

I finally got around to updating my system and see the issue you've described -- will look into it.

EDIT: Owen says he's pulled the offending RPM now.

Are other mirrors just not actively updating anymore...or have they just not 'synced' recently to include these few dozen March-June updates and will have them in the near future? Or is OSU adding 'unofficial'/'testing' rpms as updates?
xnonsuchx
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby billb » 17 Jul 2010, 14:10

xnonsuchx wrote:Are other mirrors just not actively updating anymore...or have they just not 'synced' recently to include these few dozen March-June updates and will have them in the near future? Or is OSU adding 'unofficial'/'testing' rpms as updates?

I can't answer re: the status of the mirrors -- I don't believe they'd be adding any "unofficial" updates to the OSU mirror. I have been informed that there won't be any more official updates for YDL 6.2, though.

That leaves us with PS3Bodega for future updates from the community ... I do have a testing repo for that, though it does little good if there's no participation or feedback.
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Nobody » 15 Aug 2010, 01:38

summerizing this whole thread, how do u conclude the instructuctions on installing COOL application
note: my signature still hasnt been fulfilled

lamers term,
i read all this words, surprisingly it reaches up to 15 pages, i thought something was wrong, like if your gona put up a instruction todo something, all should be commented is "thanks you"
yes ther was some changes from ydl 6.1 to 6.2
which makes me say this, and sorry for being a drag,but What is the Easiest way to do the folloing
downloading RAR Files,and others shown on my signature? lol

admn & mods must be fed up with me by now lol. again, im a very dumb person when UNDERSDANDING computertermanology. HOPE THE WORDS AND INSTRUCTIONS IS EASY TO UNDERSTAND. just wish ther wer screenshots, thumbnails, PICTURES
NEED TO:2make ydl 6 like ps3webbrowser,but wit more computer capabilities. HELP IS NEEDED

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux ppc64; en-US; rv:1.9.0.6) Gecko/2009020516 YellowDog/3.0.6-1.ydl6.1 Firefox/3.0.6
Nobody
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby ppietro » 15 Aug 2010, 04:11

Nobody wrote:summerizing this whole thread, how do u conclude the instructuctions on installing COOL application

The main instructions are in the first post and the first post only:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3017#p11364

Go to the "Set up Additional Repositories" section. That will tell you what you need to do.

Think of repositories as a big online library. YDL already comes with a fairly extensive online library - but by adding the three repositories, you can significantly increase the amount of programs available.

Once you have your PS3 setup this way, most of the applications you're looking for will be available from the Add/Remove Software control panel.

To use Add/Remove, go to (YDL Logo) --> Applications --> System Tools --> Add/Remove Software, then use the List tab to select the programs you want to auto-install.

As for which applications are COOL? Only you can decide that. :D

Nobody wrote:What is the Easiest way to do the folloing
downloading RAR Files,and others shown on my signature?

NEED TO:install snes emulater to play secrets of mana, an many others,play utube videos,download movies an mp3.limewire,unrar,bitorrent,aplications,software
n a nuttshell, 2make ydl 6 like ps3webbrowser,but wit more computer capabilities

Be aware that part of what is shown on your signature can't be discussed in our forums. Namely downloading movies and mp3s. Since this forum is sponsored by a company doing business in the United States, we are not allowed by law to discuss any methods that will break registered U.S. copyrights or otherwise be illegal.

We must be especially careful of the DMCA: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Mi ... yright_Act

Example: We can discuss how to set up bittorrent applications, but not how to use them to get illegal movies, ROMs, etc.

As for the rest, start by using our forum search function, read the posts carefully, and ask questions. Those forum members who can help will help.

Cheers,
Paul

P.S. You want to use Frostwire, BTW. Limewire won't run on the PS3 because it's too large to fit into memory.
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Nobody » 16 Aug 2010, 11:19

yup i did something wrong when tryin to do the respiratory, because when i go to add remove apps on system tools it says this:

im sorry if screenshot is big, its my first time ever doing something like this. if i knew how to put my screenshots smaller? i will.

[MODERATOR EDIT: We don't need the screenshots. Answered in this topic: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7604]
NEED TO:2make ydl 6 like ps3webbrowser,but wit more computer capabilities. HELP IS NEEDED

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux ppc64; en-US; rv:1.9.0.6) Gecko/2009020516 YellowDog/3.0.6-1.ydl6.1 Firefox/3.0.6
Nobody
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby iomartin » 27 Sep 2010, 01:16

Hello,

I Installed YDL 6.2 and tried installing vlc.

My steps were adding PS3bodega, installing protectbase and then installing vlc (with all packages requested by yum).

However, I tried playing a couple of .avi videos and all I got was the audio. I get the following error when launching from the command line:

[00000420] main decoder error: no suitable decoder module for fourcc `XVID'. VLC probably does not support this sound or video format.

The video plays just fine on my Ubuntu laptop.

Any ideas what might have gone wrong?

Thanks

EDIT: I just noticed that the video is playing on totem (it was not before I installed vlc), though it 's a little laggy
iomartin
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 27 Sep 2010, 14:44

iomartin wrote:My steps were adding PS3bodega, installing protectbase and then installing vlc (with all packages requested by yum).

protectbase is not required or suggested for using PS3Bodega for YDL 6.2. If you do use it, you'd need to have ps3bodega protected as well as your yellowdog repos to allow ps3bodega to install updates to certain packages provided by YDL (like Qt4, boost, etc).

However, I tried playing a couple of .avi videos and all I got was the audio. I get the following error when launching from the command line:

[00000420] main decoder error: no suitable decoder module for fourcc `XVID'. VLC probably does not support this sound or video format.

.avi is a "container format" which can use various compression types, so they're not all created equal. I'll have to see if I have one that uses the XVID codec for testing. Also, on PS3 Linux you're limited to playback of "SD" resolution (around 720x480 or so) or you start to get laggy playback, lose sound/video, etc.
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby iomartin » 27 Sep 2010, 16:14

The videos I'm playing are SD. When playing with totem, they get laggy if I use fullscreen.

So what approach should I have now? Uninstall protectbase and reinstall vlc?
iomartin
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby Noons » 27 Sep 2010, 18:06

So what approach should I have now? Uninstall protectbase and reinstall vlc?

Yes, uninstall protectbase if your using ydl 6.2 and bodega repo.
I would suggest removing the vlc that you have. Search the forum for mplayerps3 mt unofficial updates, follow that thread. In my experience that's the easiest and quickest way to set up a good preforming audio/video player(s)

Cheers
Fedora core 12; ps3 CECHA01; samsung 720p plasma; kernel 2.6.32
Noons
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby CountRaven » 09 Dec 2011, 15:48

If I Install the ps3bodega repo,
should I ignore instaling Dribble, Livna and Fedora-Extras repos?
CountRaven
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 09 Dec 2011, 17:33

CountRaven wrote:If I Install the ps3bodega repo,
should I ignore instaling Dribble, Livna and Fedora-Extras repos?

Yes. The ps3bodega setup guide for YDL 6.2 is here.
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby neopablo » 21 Feb 2012, 14:15

Hi! New to Yellow Dog Linux, and not english-speaker, so, i hope you can understand me. I installed yellow dog 6.2 in my powerbook G4. After that, updated software, everything good. Later, i came to this guide about adding repos, wich i did. But after adding repos, and updating software, everytime i try to install any new software or update system, i takes loooooot of time before it actually installs. Reading manpage for yum, i discovered the -d parameter, wich i setted with a level of debbuging of 10. And i discovered the cause of the delay: a line wich goes up and up that reads:

skipping reposetup, pkgsack exists
skipping reposetup, pkgsack exists..... and so on....

After about 15-20 minutes, the action i pretended is completed: a package is installed or the soft is updated. I know im not giving too much information, because im in a break of my job. But if you need additional information, just ask. But I would like to know if somebody had the same problem, and how it was solved. Or if there is some parameter to avoid this checking, or whatever. Its a little annoying to wait all that time for a soft to install. It remembers me to Gentoo :). Thanks in advance, and again, sorry for my english.
neopablo
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 21 Feb 2012, 15:27

With a 15-20 minute delay, I'm guessing you may have both yellowdog-extras and fedora-extras enabled at the same time, and protectbase is taking a long time to build the list of exclusions for duplicate packages. I had that problem when switching from YDL 6.1 to 6.2 -- in 6.1 there were no packages at all in yellowdog-extras.

In the guide, for YDL 6.2 users, it mentions:

The additional repos may cause problems with YDL 6.2. If you want to use these third party repos with 6.2, at this point I'm recommending that you disable the yellowdog-extras repo (change enabled=1 to enabled=0)

Or you can use the alternative setup which includes all the default yellowdog repos plus my "ps3bodega" repo. Although mine is geared towards PS3 users, you can use that on a PowerMac as well (I do that myself). There are only a few packages in ps3bodega that won't work for a Powermac -- specifically scaler and fscaler -- because they use features of the PS3's Cell CPU.

The ps3bodega setup guide is here:

http://pleasantfiction.ipower.com/bodeg ... f=28&t=555
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Playstation 3