Howto: Boot recovery (YDL 6)

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Howto: Boot recovery (YDL 6)

Postby billb » 13 Mar 2008, 18:44

If you have edited your /etc/yaboot.conf file and can no longer boot Yellow Dog Linux, here's one way to fix the problem. This method will work even if you can't get to the kboot prompt at all due to an error in /etc/yaboot.conf.

1 - Download the otheros.safe bootloader from here (right-click, save as). It is a bootloader originally created for Gentoo.

2 - Rename the otheros.safe bootloader to otheros.bld and save it to any media supported by your PS3 (memory stick, compact flash, secure digital, USB drive, etc). It must be in this location on the media: /PS3/otheros/otheros.bld

3 - Install the safe mode bootloader from the Game OS (Install OtherOS). When you do this make sure it is reading from your media and not from a Yellow Dog install DVD.

4 - Boot to the Other OS. The safe mode bootloader doesn't look at your yaboot.conf file so it will stop at the kboot prompt.

5 - Mount the boot partition of your PS3's internal hard drive to tmp.
Code: Select all
mount /dev/sda1 tmp

6 - Use vi to edit your yaboot.conf file located at tmp/etc/yaboot.conf.
vi tmp/etc/yaboot.conf

A quick vi tutorial: Use the arrow keys to move around. Use the x key to delete text. Press the i key to begin inserting text. Press the Esc key to exit insert mode. Hold down shift and press zz to save and exit, or use :wq to save and exit. To exit without saving, use :q! For more info, see this tutorial.

7 - Use the boot-game-os command to get back to the Game OS
boot-game-os

8 - Reinstall the regular bootloader from the YDL 6 install DVD. Make sure you remove the install DVD afterward.

9 - Boot to the Other OS and see if you've fixed your /etc/yaboot.conf file.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Jae » 29 May 2008, 01:47

Bill i didnt find the file from that link does Yellowdog-board.com have a way to attach files?
Incase someone really needed there computer after a mild shut down could be really useful

ahem.. yes, i did encounter this from editing yaboot.conf.. i'll tell you i did everything i could to try to edit it from kboot command line and trust me it won't work...
where were you when i needed you billib ! :wink:
-Jae

PS3 60GB F/W 2.30 1080p YDL 6.1
Jae
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby billb » 29 May 2008, 02:06

Jae wrote:Bill i didnt find the file from that link does Yellowdog-board.com have a way to attach files?

No way to attach files here ... and you have to join Yahoo groups to access the files area of the group. It is there -- just double checked.

Here's a direct link to otheros.safe (right-click, save as) instead.
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Jae » 29 May 2008, 02:19

billb wrote:
Jae wrote:Bill i didnt find the file from that link does Yellowdog-board.com have a way to attach files?

No way to attach files here ... and you have to join Yahoo groups to access the files area of the group. It is there -- just double checked.

Here's a direct link to otheros.safe (right-click, save as) instead.

ahh ..
I didnt know that when i went there it mentioned about a group i thought i was going to a yahoo chat room or something .. Thank you very much i'll keep this for safe keeping

Bill, YOU DA MAN !
-Jae

PS3 60GB F/W 2.30 1080p YDL 6.1
Jae
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby 3jchaan » 07 Jun 2008, 02:16

Excellent forum btw. Billb - you are indeed a Guru and a life-saver !!

So i have fixed the yaboot.conf and after going back to game-os, switched back to ps3/otheros/.. from the dvd rom.

How do I now use yaboot and go back to the normal boot? It takes to me to the dvd and asking for a reinstallation ..

Thanks.
3jchaan
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

never mind

Postby 3jchaan » 07 Jun 2008, 02:34

I got it working. Just removed the DVD and restarted and Ps3 rebooted from the old YDL 6.0 installation.

I have another issue of VLC crashing and cannot play mp4 files. Will post new after searching..
3jchaan
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 07 Jun 2008, 14:17

3jchaan wrote:Excellent forum btw. Billb - you are indeed a Guru and a life-saver !!

So i have fixed the yaboot.conf and after going back to game-os, switched back to ps3/otheros/.. from the dvd rom.

Glad this helped out. :D I've had to use this method a few times myself.
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Howto: Boot recovery (YDL 6)

Postby joseaugusto1 » 27 Aug 2008, 23:55

Hey guys, i got a problem when i try to edit my yaboot.conf using this method i dont see anything written there and when i try to rewrite the entire yaboot.conf and try to save it it will say that there is not such file...could you guys help me out please?

Thanks in advance
Jose
joseaugusto1
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 28 Aug 2008, 01:08

Make sure you follow it exactly, especially this line:

vi tmp/etc/yaboot.conf

(note there is no / in front of tmp)

And this assumes you used the default partition setup when you installed YDL.
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Hempire » 29 Aug 2009, 05:46

Greetings everyone! Pardon me for my first post being a cry for desperation to be helped. I usually figure things out for myself without actually asking for direct assistance, but now, i really need your help. You see, I installed YDL 6.1 on my ps3, I got everything worked out, from torrents, to vlc, to optimizing it...however, i am moving out of my place and moving to some place where there's no HDTV...so i was compelled to edit my yaboot.conf. which i was hesitating to do from the beginning as i read a warning that messing it up will most likely require a reinstall.

So long story short...i messed up my yaboot. I followed your instructions bill but when i type "mount/dev/sda1 tmp" it says not found. I already saved the modified otheros.bld in the right directory, in fact i was in safe boot or whatever you call it.

So, doc, guru....lay it to me...am i really screwed and just be better of reinstalling or could i still be saved?
Hempire
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby Hempire » 29 Aug 2009, 08:26

CRAP!!!!!! Now i figured it out....i just lacked a SPACE after mount....no wonder it can't mount it!!!! LOL! Errr, yea as i said i definitely figured things out by myself...but not without the help of those who are skilled at these DAMN COMPUTERS@! =D

Ok, thanks for the help bill!
Hempire
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby bababa » 07 Apr 2010, 21:30

hello! i trying to solve this vmlinux not found problem, but i can't seem to execute the otheros.safe after renamed to otheros.bld, any advice on how to solve this?

edit: i seem to save the file in .htm, is that the issue?
bababa
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 07 Apr 2010, 22:45

bababa wrote:hello! i trying to solve this vmlinux not found problem, but i can't seem to execute the otheros.safe after renamed to otheros.bld, any advice on how to solve this?

edit: i seem to save the file in .htm, is that the issue?

Yeah - that could be it. Otheros.bld is a binary file, and .htm/.html files are text.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Playstation 3