Howto: PS3 Video (YDL 6)

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Re: Howto: PS3 Video (YDL 6)

Postby adrianyoung » 15 Jan 2009, 18:31

ez666 wrote:initially I had full screen problem, no matter which option I chose it always had black borders (while testing using ctrl+alt+f1 and f7) or mixed up screen

however I went ahead and edited config files choosing 131
did the rest and rebooted, and viola it was on full screen finally

I'm not sure if this has got something to do with samsung HDTVs or is an issue with YDL but if you ran into the same problem, give it a go

i had the same problem on my sony kdl-40w2000, so i just changed it to 133 and it works fine in full screen now. looks like its either a common tv thing or a ydl problem
adrianyoung
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 15 Jan 2009, 18:38

adrianyoung wrote:
ez666 wrote:initially I had full screen problem, no matter which option I chose it always had black borders (while testing using ctrl+alt+f1 and f7) or mixed up screen

however I went ahead and edited config files choosing 131
did the rest and rebooted, and viola it was on full screen finally

I'm not sure if this has got something to do with samsung HDTVs or is an issue with YDL but if you ran into the same problem, give it a go

i had the same problem on my sony kdl-40w2000, so i just changed it to 133 and it works fine in full screen now. looks like its either a common tv thing or a ydl problem

The key here is that you can't use ctrl-alt-f1 and f7. You can only use ctrl-alt-f1. That's it - after you use ps3-video-mode, you can't switch back to X Windows to see how it worked. The ps3-video-mode program scrambles the graphics buffer.

Instead - you verify that you can still see the text in the mode you selected, and then you edit /etc/yaboot.conf and reboot to try the graphics mode. The Fixstars guide makes this clearer: "The ps3-video-mode program will only change the resolution for the current display and is only usable in a text terminal as a way to gauge which modes will work well for your system. It will only affect the current virtual terminal, leaving the others scrambled. "

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby birgert » 19 Jan 2009, 01:36

Hi. Great forum this is :P

I just installed YDL 6.1 on my ps3, and have used just about every howto on this forum :P
After installing snes9x i realized i needed to reduce the screenresolution to improve fps ingame, so i ended up in here.
Dont know if this is common knowledge, but i think it's worth mentioning for people like me (not very skilled people).

Changing screen resolution in the gui(gnome/fluxbox) does not require a reboot.
You only have to restart the gui.

ctrl-alt-backspace to close down the gui, root to change resolution via the ps3-video-mode command, change back to user and start the gui:

hit [ctrl-alt-backspace]
Code: Select all
su
password

ps3-video-mode -r -g -m 8

su username
password

startx

dont really know what effect this wil have on your system ecsept for changing the screen resolution.
I am NOT a linux wizz :mrgreen:
birgert
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby FrostEternal » 21 Jan 2009, 05:50

Pardon my n00bness, but pressing Ctrl-Alt-F1 doesn't do anything at all for me. I need to change my resolution from 480i to maybe 720p or 1080p. What am I doing wrong? Why doesn't it do anything?
FrostEternal
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 21 Jan 2009, 05:59

FrostEternal wrote:Pardon my n00bness, but pressing Ctrl-Alt-F1 doesn't do anything at all for me. I need to change my resolution from 480i to maybe 720p or 1080p. What am I doing wrong? Why doesn't it do anything?

Because you're already in text mode?

Ctrl-Alt-F1 is to switch from a graphics mode to a text login. It's not how you switch resolution, per se.

See this procedure:
http://us.fixstars.com/support/solution ... test.shtml

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby FrostEternal » 21 Jan 2009, 06:01

ppietro wrote:
FrostEternal wrote:Pardon my n00bness, but pressing Ctrl-Alt-F1 doesn't do anything at all for me. I need to change my resolution from 480i to maybe 720p or 1080p. What am I doing wrong? Why doesn't it do anything?

Because you're already in text mode?

Cheers,
Paul

Maybe I should ask what text mode is?

Here I am, sitting on my Linux desktop, looking at the icons and toolbar. This is where I am when I'm trying to type "Control + Alt + F1". Nothing happens. There is nowhere for me to type anything. I do not believe I am in text mode.
FrostEternal
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 21 Jan 2009, 06:03

FrostEternal wrote:Maybe I should ask what text mode is?

Here I am, sitting on my Linux desktop, looking at the icons and toolbar. This is where I am when I'm trying to type "Control + Alt + F1". Nothing happens. There is nowhere for me to type anything. I do not believe I am in text mode.

You're pressing them simultaneously on a USB keyboard, right?

(more in a sec)

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby FrostEternal » 21 Jan 2009, 06:06

ppietro wrote:
FrostEternal wrote:Maybe I should ask what text mode is?

You're pressing them simultaneously on a USB keyboard, right?

(more in a sec)

Cheers,
Paul

I've tried pressing them simultaneously, one at a time, in various orders, too.. Nothing.

More info: I installed Linux in 480i. It runs 480p now, but that's it. It's just about as generic as it can be--just installed. I've done nothing to it.

I just go to Linux OS, wait for a bunch of text to go by, log in (root + my password).. log in.. there I am at the desktop that hardly fits in 480i.. =/
FrostEternal
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 21 Jan 2009, 06:11

FrostEternal wrote:I've tried pressing them simultaneously, one at a time, in various orders, too.. Nothing.

What type of keyboard is it? Bluetooth? Extended Logitech?

FrostEternal wrote:More info: I installed Linux in 480i. It runs 480p now, but that's it. It's just about as generic as it can be--just installed. I've done nothing to it.

I just go to Linux OS, wait for a bunch of text to go by, log in (root + my password).. log in.. there I am at the desktop that hardly fits in 480i.. =/

Well - if you can't kill the graphics that way...

As root user, open up a terminal window and type init 3 - that ought to do it.

BTW - you need to create a standard user account after you get your video straightened out. You don't want to run as root unless you're performing system administration tasks.

More info about that here:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3404&p=14110#p14110

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 21 Jan 2009, 06:15

ppietro wrote:
FrostEternal wrote:I've tried pressing them simultaneously, one at a time, in various orders, too.. Nothing.

What type of keyboard is it? Bluetooth? Extended Logitech?

Also - it's better if you're not logged in when you type Ctrl-Alt-F1. Try it from the login screen instead.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby FrostEternal » 21 Jan 2009, 06:19

"As root user, open up a terminal window and type init 3 - that ought to do it."

Okay, but what is that supposed to do? When I type it in, it outputs the following:

Usage: init <alphanumeric code here>

Again, I don't know jack about Linux. I barely figured out what you meant by "open up a terminal" =/

-- Edit:
Furthermore:

"Also - it's better if you're not logged in when you type Ctrl-Alt-F1. Try it from the login screen instead."

I just did. Nothing.

The keyboard I'm using is not the problem. It lets me type things, and I know where the Control, Alt, and F1 keys are.
FrostEternal
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby FrostEternal » 21 Jan 2009, 06:30

ppietro wrote:BTW - you need to create a standard user account after you get your video straightened out. You don't want to run as root unless you're performing system administration tasks.

More info about that here:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3404&p=14110#p14110

Cheers,
Paul

I went to that, and I'm assuming you want me to do this:
(To make a normal user account, you can use the "Users and Groups" tool in GNOME.)

I'm sorry. I appreciate your help, but that means nothing to me; I have no idea what that means...

EDIT: Okay, I went to a different website and found out how to make Linux automatically take me to a log in screen, and from there I found a way to make it let me log into "GNOME".. and I believe I created another account, sucessfully.

That is where I am. I'm still in 480p, unfortunately. =/
FrostEternal
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 21 Jan 2009, 06:55

FrostEternal wrote:"As root user, open up a terminal window and type init 3 - that ought to do it."

Okay, but what is that supposed to do? When I type it in, it outputs the following:

Usage: init <alphanumeric code here>

You typed init 3 and it gave you that message?

That's not good. Where did you find the instructions to create your Linux installation again? Can you post a link to the YouTube video?

Again, I don't know jack about Linux. I barely figured out what you meant by "open up a terminal" =/

-- Edit:
Furthermore:

"Also - it's better if you're not logged in when you type Ctrl-Alt-F1. Try it from the login screen instead."

I just did. Nothing.

The keyboard I'm using is not the problem. It lets me type things, and I know where the Control, Alt, and F1 keys are.

That's not the issue. Bluetooth keyboards have issues with YDL until they're set up properly. Extended keyboards sometimes do not map keys correctly until custom drivers are loaded. These drivers may not be present in Linux. I can only guarantee that very simple, very plain USB wired keyboards work correctly until Linux configuration is complete.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 21 Jan 2009, 06:57

FrostEternal wrote:I went to that, and I'm assuming you want me to do this:
(To make a normal user account, you can use the "Users and Groups" tool in GNOME.)

Users and Groups is also available in the default YDL E17 environment. It's under the Applications --> System Tools menu.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 21 Jan 2009, 07:02

ppietro wrote:You typed init 3 and it gave you that message?

Nevermind - I figured it out.

You typed

init 3 -

You need to type

init 3

I use dashes in my sentences a lot - it helps me organize my thoughts. I did boldface just the init 3, but it probably wasn't clear enough. Sorry about that.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Playstation 3