Howto: PS3 Video (YDL 6)

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Re: Howto: PS3 Video (YDL 6)

Postby ppietro » 22 Jan 2009, 04:08

FrostEternal wrote:
ppietro wrote:Yes - that's a bug in E17 because it can't shut down Nautilus. (See my previous post about why Nautilus is loaded in E17) It happpens to everyone who runs E17 in YDL. That's not the cause of your issues. And - you're correct - it doesn't happen in Gnome.

Should I only use Gnome then? How do most PS3 owners use Linux--in E17/Nautilus or Gnome? Is there a way to manually close Nautilus?

You can use either one you prefer. I switch between them all the time. You can even load other desktop managers - like KDE or xfce. As for exiting E17, I don't worry about that message - I just choose the Logout Anyway option, and go on my merry way. No harm - no foul. :D

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby rcjr66 » 07 Feb 2009, 02:29

thanks for the guide...does this work on ydl 6.1 though? i type in ps3-video-mode in text mode but i keep getting back "command not found"...
rcjr66
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 07 Feb 2009, 02:58

rcjr66 wrote:thanks for the guide...does this work on ydl 6.1 though? i type in ps3-video-mode in text mode but i keep getting back "command not found"...

Yes it does. You have to be root user for this to work.

Cheers,
Paul

P.S. billb - I boldfaced that section about root user in the original guide. Feel free to undo my boldfacing if it annoys you. :D
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby rcjr66 » 07 Feb 2009, 04:46

ppietro wrote:
rcjr66 wrote:thanks for the guide...does this work on ydl 6.1 though? i type in ps3-video-mode in text mode but i keep getting back "command not found"...

Yes it does. You have to be root user for this to work.

Cheers,
Paul

P.S. billb - I boldfaced that section about root user in the original guide. Feel free to undo my boldfacing if it annoys you. :D

hmm...i did try it with root user in both text mode and in the terminal just in case...this is what i got from when i tried it in the terminal but it basically gives me the same thing back in text mode...

Code: Select all
[rcj66@localhost ~]$ su
Password:
[root@localhost rcj66]# ps3-video-mode
bash: ps3-video-mode: command not found
[root@localhost rcj66]#
rcjr66
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 07 Feb 2009, 08:44

rcjr66 wrote:hmm...i did try it with root user in both text mode and in the terminal just in case...this is what i got from when i tried it in the terminal but it basically gives me the same thing back in text mode...

Code: Select all
[rcj66@localhost ~]$ su
Password:
[root@localhost rcj66]# ps3-video-mode
bash: ps3-video-mode: command not found
[root@localhost rcj66]#

The trick is that using just su to become root user doesn't really make you root user. If you use su your PATH environment is inherited from the calling account (aka rcj66), not from root.

Since normal accounts don't include the directory that ps3-video-mode lives in, a simple su won't pick up that directory either.

You need to use su - instead. (That's su dash)

It's odd it didn't work in text mode though. Did you log in as you and switch to root via su? Or did you log in as root from the text mode?

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

can't see the bottom of my page

Postby darocsfinest1 » 23 Mar 2009, 21:34

i have ydl 6.1 and when i pull up a web page or the add/remove software screen, the bottom of the page doesn't show. the keeps me from adding programs as well as closing pages. i can't manuever the page up or down side to side in a way that i can see the bottom of the page. even when i hit the icon on the top right inbetween the close and minimize icons. still know change. has anyone else experience this problem :?:
darocsfinest1
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: can't see the bottom of my page

Postby ppietro » 24 Mar 2009, 00:32

darocsfinest1 wrote:i have ydl 6.1 and when i pull up a web page or the add/remove software screen, the bottom of the page doesn't show. the keeps me from adding programs as well as closing pages. i can't manuever the page up or down side to side in a way that i can see the bottom of the page. even when i hit the icon on the top right inbetween the close and minimize icons. still know change. has anyone else experience this problem :?:

Are you running on a standard definition TV (SDTV) by any chance? This is a known issue with 480i/p or 576i/p screens and overscan.

You might be able to work around this slightly by switching to a full screen mode, as detailed in the first post of this thread. However, you may find that your desktop extends beyond the edges of your screen, which makes it almost as hard to navigate.

Most of us are using HDTVs (or equivalent monitors) and don't have this issue - sorry. Anyone with an SDTV got a good work-around for this?

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby darocsfinest1 » 25 Mar 2009, 03:13

ppietro wrote:
darocsfinest1 wrote:i have ydl 6.1 and when i pull up a web page or the add/remove software screen, the bottom of the page doesn't show. the keeps me from adding programs as well as closing pages. i can't manuever the page up or down side to side in a way that i can see the bottom of the page. even when i hit the icon on the top right inbetween the close and minimize icons. still know change. has anyone else experience this problem :?:

Are you running on a standard definition TV (SDTV) by any chance? This is a known issue with 480i/p or 576i/p screens and overscan.

You might be able to work around this slightly by switching to a full screen mode, as detailed in the first post of this thread. However, you may find that your desktop extends beyond the edges of your screen, which makes it almost as hard to navigate.

Most of us are using HDTVs (or equivalent monitors) and don't have this issue - sorry. Anyone with an SDTV got a good work-around for this?

Cheers,
Paul

i have a hd tv and i'm using componet cables (red,green,blue}, does it only work with hdmi, cause my problem is that my desktop extends beyond my screen. i get home in about an hour i'll try post 1 out and get back.
darocsfinest1
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 25 Mar 2009, 03:24

darocsfinest1 wrote:i have a hd tv and i'm using componet cables (red,green,blue}, does it only work with hdmi, cause my problem is that my desktop extends beyond my screen. i get home in about an hour i'll try post 1 out and get back.

No - HDMI is not the issue here.

There's two possibilities.

1. You need to switch your HDTV to some sort of "one-to-one" mode. Many sets have this feature - it turns off the built-in overscan. I can't help you with this per se - you'll have to check your HDTV manual for this.

2. Even though you're using an HDTV, your video mode is set to 480p/576p. You need to increase the video mode resolution to something closer to your HDTV resolution. There's a good guide here:
viewtopic.php?t=3524

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby vampylexluther » 09 Aug 2009, 19:22

[MODERATOR EDIT: You posted this in the wrong place. You won't get any help for YDL 6.2 in a YDL 5.x thread. :D Moved for you. -Paul]

phmm i have problems... I have a crt monitor , my ps3 is conected by a VGA BOX and i have yellow dog 6.2 intalled
but i want to put it fullscreen ... wene i install my ydl i put istall ps3 480i
but i cant put it on fullscreen...
thanks in advance.
vampylexluther
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby christyw744 » 11 Aug 2009, 19:09

My ps3 keeps telling that the "command is not found" what do I do?
christyw744
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 11 Aug 2009, 19:11

christyw744 wrote:My ps3 keeps telling that the "command is not found" what do I do?

What's the command? What are you trying to do?

Context, please.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jay09 » 07 Sep 2009, 12:43

Nice. Glad that it works on the version that i have. Thanks!

Regards,
Jay
jay09
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby fronjm05 » 03 Nov 2009, 23:53

Hello, not sure if I should be starting a new thread here, but here is question:
I have a pretty big TV, 62 inch DLP, Toshiba, supports 1080i. So naturally when I was installing YDL I choose 1080i for video. But when I run YDL (either the command prompt or the visual/graphic version or whatever you call it), everything is VERY small, I have to squint to see what I am typing at the prompt or text in FireFox, windows, etc. So I switched my video mode to 720p and everything looks bigger and is easier to read. But if my TV supports 1080i, don't I want to use that? Is there some settings I am missing that will make the text and icons and the menu on top of the desktop larger? Or am I missing the point of what these video outputs even mean (1080i, 720p, etc)? Im pretty sure the default PS3 OS is using 1080i and looks good. Thanks guys!!

Joe
fronjm05
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 04 Nov 2009, 00:49

fronjm05 wrote:But if my TV supports 1080i, don't I want to use that? Is there some settings I am missing that will make the text and icons and the menu on top of the desktop larger?

In this case, probably not. The fonts do not resize to the graphics mode like they do in the GameOS. They are fixed size - the higher the resolution - the smaller the fonts appear to be.

So - I use 720p myself - even though my monitor can support 1080p - for this exact reason.

The alternative is to try to change the font size in the Window Manager you're using - gnome, E17, etc. should have ways to set font size. That still doesn't help with the text mode though. :D

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Playstation 3