Warp Speed: Fluxbox Window Manager Shakedown

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Re: Warp Speed: Fluxbox Window Manager Shakedown

Postby Jester » 22 Jul 2009, 13:41

bonedome wrote:Hello
i.e. " [exec] (NES) {/root/Desktop/NES/Battletoads.nes}
you won't be able to run root applications direct from the menu (well you can but you'll have to build gksu from source, which was a bit of a pain if memory serves) does that particular application have to be in root ? or are you always logged in as root, if so don't, set up a user account.

I always log in as root. I have a user acct but I always get denied access for everything, even though I told it to give me permission to everything so I just stick with the root. I think it makes it a little easier for a noob like myself. The fluxbox was the first thing I have done on linux without any hiccups, just took me a second to realize all the file paths were messed up for like the menu and init file and stuff, bc roadie's guide has it as "~/.." so I just had to change it to "/root/". Now I just have to find where it put the last two steps, the ones for SlicknesS and the black and white thing. Also to figure out how to get my NES to work from the fluxbox menu

And another addition. I played around with a theme, actually I created my own theme using the link roadie gave us to look at to better understand fluxbox, http://fluxbox.sourceforge.net/docbook/en/html/ . I just used the page they have on Theme directives and copy pasted into a blank file in my /.fluxbox/styles path. Played around with it a little then decided to get some .xpm images to spice it up even more so I thought it would be a good idea to throw it into a folder, so I don't a bunch of random xpms floating around in the styles folder. so I created the folder and it no longer will link it to the fluxbox menu. Yet i already have a folder in there from one i downloaded during roadie's guide, the path looks like this "/.fluxbox/styles/PS3 Theme" and it has a link on the fluxbox menu, but the new folder I created doesn't even though the menu points to "/.fluxbox/styles".

Also, I can't figure out how to use different fonts in fluxbox, i think they are lost somewhere in my mayhem that is linux. I think it is currently running the default fluxbox font.

Sorry I am currently playing with my desktop and I keep running into different random things so I just keep adding them as I go. For some reason my keyboard shortcuts don't seem to work. I have no idea what is going on with this one, for example i was trying to make a shortcut to the gnome print screen app and one for pidgen as well

" Mod1 F4 :ExecCommand gaim
Mod1 F5 :ExecCommand gnome-panel-screenshot "

But Neither of those commands work, I am at a loss for this one.
80GB CECHE01 - YDL 6.1 - PSN ACCT = Jester8648 - BenQ PE8700 Projector
Current Projects: Learning C++ & DIY Wind Turbine
Jester
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby bonedome » 23 Jul 2009, 13:04

Hello
I always log in as root.
you really are going to have to get out of that habit (or at least stop advertising the fact), I certainly wouldn't do any online banking. :D
It's really not that hard to type su - and your root password or set up sudo
here's a list of commands viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4750&p=25065#p25065
I shall try and remember how to build gksu and post.
I suspect some of those shortcuts and so on aren't working because .fluxbox init is pointing to your home directory (that, or someone has taken over your ps3 and is messing with it as we speak)
60Gb ps3 otheros awol. currently playing:bad company and farcry 2 again (seeing how far I can get using permadeath principle)update: regretfully Warren Clyde was involved in a shootout south of Pala and killed when he was hit by a land rover. RIP Warren
bonedome
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby Jester » 23 Jul 2009, 13:30

Well i started a little file clean up today, and I found a fluxbox folder in usr/share, so I took everything from the .fluxbox menu in root and put it in there. I didn't try the mod key shortcuts for gaim or screen-shot, but I did write a command for switching between tabs (i.e. in firefox or pidgin) and it worked just fine. Mainly I just want to figure out how to get my NES running from the fluxbox menu. The other stuff will just be an added bonus. I really need to try and clean up my folders, it's like mayhem when I open any given folder, and I probably have copies of everything running around in every other folder, problem is I don't want to delete something and then have to reinstall linux lol.
Jester
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby Jester » 31 Jul 2009, 04:15

So I have a new question about fluxbox. The configuration I have does not allow me to resize my windows. I would like to write that into the config files so I can, bc right now pidgin buddy list takes up the entire screen and it is really annoying, even when I use the maximize button on the upper right corner. I suppose I could login onto gnome desktop and resize it there but I am too lazy. Plus I like to be able to change the size of my windows.

Also when I login as my user (Jester) it always starts with the fluxbox default, so I have to change my theme every time I log on.
Jester
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby bonedome » 31 Jul 2009, 11:09

Hello
the minimized window is max size, to reduce the size put ypur mouse cursor on the bottom right (or left) corner a small diagonal double ended arrow should appear, then click and drag the window to desired size, when both windows are maxxed out it's difficult to know which is which.
It's wierd how fluxbox does that completly randomly, hasn't happened to me for a while now though
I'm not sure if it's fluxbox or the app that remembers the window size, I'm guessing since you've just built a new version of pidgin it has a config file the remembers the window size/placement
60Gb ps3 otheros awol. currently playing:bad company and farcry 2 again (seeing how far I can get using permadeath principle)update: regretfully Warren Clyde was involved in a shootout south of Pala and killed when he was hit by a land rover. RIP Warren
bonedome
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby Jester » 31 Jul 2009, 19:25

sorry I suppose I should have stated in the previous post that when I roll over any edge of the window I don't get the resize arrow, I thought maybe I didn't have a pixmap for it, but when I try to click and drag in approx the right location nothing happens.
Jester
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby oldPES » 06 Nov 2009, 22:56

Quick question:

Where to do you refer with the title "Warp Speed: Fluxbox Window Manager Shakedown"? Is that some kind of alternative name for Fluxbox WM (or even the full name)?
M$ 90 % [·] Fx 47.5 % [·] Symbian 51 %
MAC 6.8 % [·] IE 37.5 % [·] Apple 13.3 %
Linux 4.2 % [·] Chrome 8.0 % [·] RIM 18.7 %

http://gs.statcounter.com/#os-ww-monthly-200810-200911
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_shar ... ng_systems
oldPES
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby ppietro » 07 Nov 2009, 00:33

oldPES wrote:Quick question:

Where to do you refer with the title "Warp Speed: Fluxbox Window Manager Shakedown"? Is that some kind of alternative name for Fluxbox WM (or even the full name)?

Fluxbox WM stands for Fluxbox Window Manager. The other parts of the title are for creative purposes. :D

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby exploitz » 17 Apr 2010, 07:38

Hey, first off I wanna say thanks for the great tutorial!

I managed to get fluxbox up and running pretty quickly and I have been toying with it here for awhile now...
Only one real problem that I cant seem to solve :(

Ive got my wallpaper set, and its 1920x1200 resolution.. so it should be filling the whole desktop but its not. It fills up about 3/4 of the screen and then repeats. I don't like it lol :) Can anyone help me fix this problem? Im sure its something simple that I just overlooked..

Thanks,
Chase
ROMulous - Extract + Move (Your roms)
http://pastebin.com/qpzifnWw

Give it a try, I use it for bulk extracting, and moving all my roms to the correct folders.
exploitz
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby bonedome » 17 Apr 2010, 09:11

Hello
this also happened to me a couple of weeks ago completely out of the blue, fluxbox used to automatically stretch the image but now doesn't :?
my quick fix was to open wallpaper image with gThumb image viewer and crop, there are some presets and a custom option if you prefer, this worked better for me as I could get rid of the date stamp in the lower left corner and as I like my landscapes this works well in widescreen :D
bonedome
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby exploitz » 17 Apr 2010, 16:21

Im sorry but I really cant find how to crop the image using gThumb?

Im actually pretty new to linux, and I just moved over from PSUbuntu after giving that a shot but so far... I like the speed of YDL with Fluxbox.

Thanks again lol

EDIT: Also one more question :) In the tutorial it says to edit the file .gtkrc2 and include the font you want used etc..
I didnt have a .gtkrc2 so I made one, and then tried to add the theme slicknesS or whatever it was called to the themes directory. Well I didnt have a .themes directory so I made one of those too and added the folder slicknesS to it, but all it did was make my icons for everything look incredibly ugly lol
Anyone help with that?

Give it a try, I use it for bulk extracting, and moving all my roms to the correct folders.
exploitz
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby bonedome » 17 Apr 2010, 22:38

Hello
yeah I wouldn't bother with the slickness themes/fonts I never did, as for gthumb, right click on the image you want, open with gthumb click on image > crop, under aspect ratio choose custom and have a little play, then click and drag on the image to desired size, then click on crop in top left corner then save.
I think this will overwrite the original so I'd make a copy first :D
bonedome
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby exploitz » 21 Apr 2010, 04:45

This may sound retarded... but to use GTK2.0 themes do I need to have GTK2.0 installed??

Because I dont know how to compile it.

exploitz
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby juanito » 21 Apr 2010, 08:04

..but gtk2 is already in ydl, no?
ps3 60gb, cechc04, fw-3.15, ydl-6.2/cblfs multi-lib dual boot
dell 2009w monitor, logitech mediaboard (usb)
juanito
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby exploitz » 21 Apr 2010, 22:36

juanito wrote:..but gtk2 is already in ydl, no?

I don't know, is it?
I can't find the .gtkrc-2.0 that I'm supposed to edit. I can only find .gtkrc-1.2 so I assumed that I was running GTK1.2

exploitz
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

PreviousNext

Return to Playstation 3