printer support?

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

printer support?

Postby bambitheslug » 30 Jul 2008, 18:59

Is it possible to set up a printer to work with YDL ona 20 GB PS3? I know my HP OfficeJet supposedly works flawless in Linux using the latest HPLIP driver but I don't know if the driver could be made to work on the system's PPC architecture. I also have an Epson photo printer but I don't know the exact models of either printer seeing as how I am on vacation and don't have access to them.

Thanks in advance for your help. Also, my Linux experience is very limited as my Dell printer does not support Linux so I can't use it to print homework on my PC and Windows is better for gaming (well, if selection makes an OS better, anyway). Therefore, I really have had no incentive to permanently switch to Linux even though I like it infinitely better than Windows. If it's possible to get printer support from YDL on PS3, try tp put it in simple terms so I can understand more or less how I would get it to work. Thanks!
bambitheslug
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: printer support?

Postby CronoCloud » 01 Aug 2008, 15:57

Open up a terminal and run this as root:

system-config-printer

Ron Rogers Jr. (CronoCloud)
CronoCloud

Postby bambitheslug » 01 Aug 2008, 22:11

I'm confused as to how that would work for any printer... shouldn't there be some kind of driver installation or something? I guess I could be wrong seeing as how I am not familiar with the PS3 setup but it just seems to me like the user should manually have to make it register a specific printer, especially for something like an all-in-one printer.

Would that procedure you stated work with any basic printer that didn't have fax and scanning and all those features?
bambitheslug
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby crankwalk » 02 Aug 2008, 13:52

Did you try running that command he listed? It pops up a GUI window for printer configuration. Click "New Printer" and go from there...
crankwalk
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby bambitheslug » 26 Aug 2008, 00:27

I don't have YDL yet. The reason for my question is that the main factor in my decision whether or not to install YDL is printer support. I understand that the command stated above brings up a printer configuration menu but I am confused as to how or why that would work with the printers I have. Shouldn't there be some kind of driver download/installation?

Also, just because there is a Linux feature included in YDL for PS3 doesn't mean it will necessarily function properly. Linux on PS3 is fairly well known for its lack of functionality due to system restrictions. A printer GUI that works on other systems doesn't necessarily work for the PS3 architecture as intended, but that also depends on the peripherals.

Basically, my concern is that I will install YDL on my PS3 just to find that I can't set up one of my printers to work with it and then have to pay for a new printer as well as research which ones people have gotten to work best (or just buy another computer).

The reason I want to use YDL on PS3 is to do homework research and word processing without the expense of a new PC. I know the web browsing shouldn't be too much of a problem but I don't know how the PS3's printer support is. That is what I am inquiring about.
bambitheslug
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby CronoCloud » 26 Aug 2008, 01:03

bambitheslug wrote:I don't have YDL yet. The reason for my question is that the main factor in my decision whether or not to install YDL is printer support. I understand that the command stated above brings up a printer configuration menu but I am confused as to how or why that would work with the printers I have. Shouldn't there be some kind of driver download/installation?

YDL 6 has a pretty standard, slightly older, CUPS installation, it comes with drivers.

A printer GUI that works on other systems doesn't necessarily work for the PS3 architecture as intended, but that also depends on the peripherals.

The reason I want to use YDL on PS3 is to do homework research and word processing without the expense of a new PC. I know the web browsing shouldn't be too much of a problem but I don't know how the PS3's printer support is. That is what I am inquiring about.

It's probably as good as any other Linux distributions support. A printer that wouldn't work on YDL 6 and that doesn't have a .ppd file, probably wouldn't work on any other Linux distribution either. You can search the following site to see if your printer is supported, if you post the model I can check to see if support is included in YDL 6.

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/OpenPrinting

CECHE01 PS3 (MGS4 80GB Bundle) without OtherOS and with an upgraded 320GB HD
Running Fedora 23 on a Compaq Presario CQ5320F upgraded with a Phenom X4 and GT640
Vizio E221A1 22" 1080P TV with HDMI, using 1080P over HDMI
PSN ID: CronoCloudAuron
CronoCloud

Postby bambitheslug » 26 Aug 2008, 02:48

Thank you so very much! That is the information I was looking for. I know I have been to that web site before but I may as well tell you my printer models because you obviously know more about this stuff than me. Anyway, here they are:

HP OfficeJet J5780
Epson...

Wow, I just learned from my father that he gave it away to a friend in Columbia, so that Epson printer is long gone! Anyway, if I remember correctly, the J5780 works flawlessly with Linux using the latest HPLIP driver but I don't know if that means it will work with YDL on the PS3 using the included driver. I will check that web site but if it's not too much trouble I'd like for you to confirm whether or not the printer will work.

Once again, thank you so much for your help! I barely have any Linux knowledge/experience because my main reason for switching from Windows was to do homework (I liked Linux better) but I couldn't even do that because my free Dell printer doesn't work under Linux (although some guy found a way to force it to work with the equivalent Lexmark printer's driver). Therefore, I did all my gaming AND homework using Windows and eventually ended up uninstalling my Linux distro.

Now that I have a new printer that will supposedly work with Linux, I'm wondering if it would be possible to just use my PS3 as a Linux PC as well so that I don't have to buy a new PC before going off to college. It would still cost money for an HDD upgrade and a flash drive but those expenses are nothing next to buying an entirely different system (unless I buy an old used machine, but the convenience of having one machine to do it all is amazing).
bambitheslug
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby bambitheslug » 26 Aug 2008, 02:54

Alright, so the site says that the printer works perfectly. Does that automatically mean that it shouldn't have any problems with YDL on PS3?

Also, so that I don't have to create another topic, after installing YDL, can the PS3 be set up to default to the original OS rather than booting up to Linux? I would rather start in the GameOS than Linux although I guess it's not so bad the other way around.
bambitheslug
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby CronoCloud » 26 Aug 2008, 06:22

bambitheslug wrote:Alright, so the site says that the printer works perfectly. Does that automatically mean that it shouldn't have any problems with YDL on PS3?

For basic print functionality you'll chose HP990C in the system-config-printer system. For the advanced functionality you can use HPLIP, which should also work once you have the HPLIP daemons started.

Also, so that I don't have to create another topic, after installing YDL, can the PS3 be set up to default to the original OS rather than booting up to Linux? I would rather start in the GameOS than Linux although I guess it's not so bad the other way around.

Each time you boot into Linux, Linux becomes the default until you boot back into GameOS by using ps3-boot-game-os, which then makes GameOS the default again.

Running Fedora 23 on a Compaq Presario CQ5320F upgraded with a Phenom X4 and GT640
CronoCloud

Postby CronoCloud » 26 Aug 2008, 07:36

bambitheslug wrote:The reason I want to use YDL on PS3 is to do homework research and word processing without the expense of a new PC.

One other thing I should mention, YDL 6 is based on CentOS so software versions are a few releases behind the current ones: the OpenOffice version included in YDL6 is 2.0.4, not the current 2.4.1 The AbiWord version included is 2.4.6, not the current 2.6.4. It probably won't affect you too much unless you want .docx Word 2007 support.

CronoCloud

Postby juanito » 01 Sep 2008, 12:20

I have an HP OfficeJet G85 shared over a home network from a linux box using cups-1.3.5

As soon as I installed YDL-6 on my PS3, it found the shared printer on the network and printed without problems and without doing anything on the YDL/PS3 side.

Naturally, this depends on how things are set up on the machine functioning as the printer server, but as long as you have cups and hplip on the PS3, I don't see why it wouldn't work when connected directly.
juanito
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby bambitheslug » 03 Sep 2008, 13:46

Thank you guys so very much! I really only need basic functionality although obviously setting up the hplip driver to add cool features would be nice. I'll just have to figure that out if and when I get this thing set up. Thanks!
bambitheslug
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ismails » 05 Aug 2013, 06:47

great post and good information shared.
ismails
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Playstation 3