Show Off Your Desktop: Post Your Screenshots

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Show Off Your Desktop: Post Your Screenshots

Postby tcrroadie » 07 Aug 2008, 02:05

I thought I would break up all of the trouble shooting post here on the Yellow Dog board and post something fun. I thought I would start a screenshot post here so that users could show off their Linux desktops from their PS3s. I'll kick things off with a screenshot from my PS3.

I'm running YDL 6. My desktop environment is the Fluxbox Window Manager. I have a system monitor called Conky running at the top of my screen to help me keep tabs on my CPU usage and what is playing on my music player Audacious.

The wallpaper I am using can be found here

Full size image here

Fill size image here
tcrroadie
ydl guru
ydl guru

Re: Show Off Your Desktop: Post Your Screenshots

Postby Efaustus9 » 08 Aug 2008, 04:08

Nice desktop tcrroadie makes me want to break out GT5 P. I am also using fluxbox on my Playstation 3. My desktop is of good ol' Boston harbor and my fluxbox style is OSX.

Clean:

Cluttered:

your command to mount the ipod worked like a charm, thanks :D .
SKU: CECHB01 PS3 (20GB) upgraded to 60GB HD.
YDL Killed by Firmware 3.30 but linux on my HDTV lives on!
http://tinyurl.com/2dcujby
Samsung LN-S4041D 40"
Efaustus9

Postby tcrroadie » 08 Aug 2008, 15:59

^^^Efaustus9^^^

I like your wallpaper. The cool color temperature feels so soothing.

Hey, tip for ya. If you would like to make your window decorators look more like OS X's by placing your window buttons in the correct place, just edit your .fluxbox/init file to move the Minimize, Maximize, and Close buttons to the left of your titlebar like so. Find these two lines in your .fluxbox/init file and make them read this

Code: Select all
session.screen0.titlebar.right:  Stick
session.screen0.titlebar.left: Minimize Maximize Close
tcrroadie
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby Beillzibub » 10 Sep 2008, 07:42

Hey Roadie,

Nice Desktop!!! Could you tell me how you got Conky to look so neat? Or maybe point me in the direction of a good tutorial?

Many thanks,
B.
Yellow Dog 6 -> 320 GB Internal Drive (using 10 GB)
Playstation 3 40GB (upgraded to 5400RPM 320GB), FW 2.42
Philips 26PFL5322 26" LCD 1080p
Beillzibub
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby tcrroadie » 10 Sep 2008, 22:16

Beillzibub wrote:Hey Roadie,

Nice Desktop!!! Could you tell me how you got Conky to look so neat? Or maybe point me in the direction of a good tutorial?

Many thanks,
B.

Actually I wrote a quick and basic post on Conky you can find at the following link.

http://www.yellowdog-board.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3641&p=15962&hilit=conky#p15962

I wouldn't recommend using the version of Conky that is in the repos. It is crap. It crashes, locks up and sometimes, won't even start. I compiled the latest version of Conky last weekend on my PS3 and it works awesome. I am actually going to write a quick guide here on installing Conky from source when I am finished with my new Fluxbox guide.
tcrroadie
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby Beillzibub » 11 Sep 2008, 01:06

Nice work!

Well while you're getting on with that, here's my screen grab. not much to look at but I like it clean and simple.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(29.47 KiB) Downloaded 432 times
Yellow Dog 6 -> 320 GB Internal Drive (using 10 GB)
Playstation 3 40GB (upgraded to 5400RPM 320GB), FW 2.42
Philips 26PFL5322 26" LCD 1080p
Beillzibub
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 11 Sep 2008, 01:14

Note -- I've limited inline image attachments to no greater than 640x480 or they will display as links instead.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby tcrroadie » 11 Sep 2008, 21:29

I took some new screen captures last weekend. Currently running a custom build of Fluxbox 1.1.0.1. I am also using the latest build of Conky which is working awesome. I edited my Conky config file to include my top running system process and the top processes CPU usage. Very handy.

Full size image here

Full size image here

Full size image here
tcrroadie
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby Skatox » 12 Sep 2008, 16:29

This is mine, its SD :(

Visit http://www.skatox.com my blog about Gnu/Linux, Playstation 3, Java, Windows, MacOs, Internet, Hacking and more...
Skatox
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby lovespeed » 20 Sep 2008, 06:38

i am new for YDL ~
can u please tell me where acn i get this
lovespeed
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby tcrroadie » 20 Sep 2008, 20:40

lovespeed wrote:i am new for YDL ~
can u please tell me where acn i get this

Where can you get what?

If you are looking for skatoxs window decorator theme for Metacity, you can find it at the link below.

http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=89096
tcrroadie
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby Platinumgrit » 25 Sep 2008, 07:01

tcrroadie wrote:
Actually I wrote a quick and basic post on Conky you can find at the following link.

http://www.yellowdog-board.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3641&p=15962&hilit=conky#p15962

I wouldn't recommend using the version of Conky that is in the repos. It is crap. It crashes, locks up and sometimes, won't even start. I compiled the latest version of Conky last weekend on my PS3 and it works awesome. I am actually going to write a quick guide here on installing Conky from source when I am finished with my new Fluxbox guide.

wow, what can I say. I've been browsing this forum for a little over two days, as I bought a brand new PS3 80GB on the weekend. TCR, you really put a lot of work in over some time, there's a considerable amount of well laid out, easy to understand and follow posts of yours around. You've certainly saved me a great deal of time, and I haven't even installed linux on my PS3 yet. I'm gonna do the PS3 linux install after I graft a new 320GB 7200rpm HD into the unit tonight.

Anyway nice work on your desktop. Your conky tutorial is going to come in very handy.

Cheers,
PG
PS3 80GB (upgrading tonight to 400GB 7200rpm)
Samsung Series 6 52inch (LA52A650) 1080p HD 100Hz
Platinumgrit
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby bonedome » 10 Oct 2008, 13:01

Howdo fluxbox ydl lovers I'd love to show off my desktop only I can't :(
couple of questions instead, No1 (ok maybe two questions in one here) how the f*£! do I put a damn fine piccy like those above on my fluxbox desktop (tried right click on pic and "set as wallpaper" but nothing :( ) and installed conky last night :D (niiice) whch now lives on the bottom left of the desktop screen with very small writing, any ideas how to make it look like tcrroadies neat single line at the top of the screen with readable size writing.
Question 2: I may be able to solve these myself if someone could remind me how to view/edit a hidden file i.e ~.fluxbox/menu.
ok one more (for a chance to win the car and I have to take your first answer :wink: ) what does the command -r mean
60Gb ps3 otheros awol. currently playing:bad company and farcry 2 again (seeing how far I can get using permadeath principle)update: regretfully Warren Clyde was involved in a shootout south of Pala and killed when he was hit by a land rover. RIP Warren
bonedome
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby tcrroadie » 10 Oct 2008, 18:08

bonedome wrote:Howdo fluxbox ydl lovers I'd love to show off my desktop only I can't :(
couple of questions instead, No1 (ok maybe two questions in one here) how the f*£! do I put a damn fine piccy like those above on my fluxbox desktop (tried right click on pic and "set as wallpaper" but nothing :( ) and installed conky last night :D (niiice) whch now lives on the bottom left of the desktop screen with very small writing, any ideas how to make it look like tcrroadies neat single line at the top of the screen with readable size writing.
Question 2: I may be able to solve these myself if someone could remind me how to view/edit a hidden file i.e ~.fluxbox/menu.
ok one more (for a chance to win the car and I have to take your first answer :wink: ) what does the command -r mean

For setting your desktop background (wallpaper), taken from my Warp Speed: Fluxbox Window Manager guide

If you page down near the bottom of the menu file you will see some code defining the path to or desktop wallpapers. It looks like this

[submenu] (Backgrounds)
          [submenu] (Walls)
          [wallpapers] (/home/kris/Wallpaper)
         [end]

We can see that the path on my system is /home/kris/Wallpaper. Just edit this line to point to the location of your desktop wallpapers.

To view a file from the command line, you can use a file viewer called "less" or you can print the contents of a text file to your screen with "cat". For example, to view .fluxbox/menu

less .fluxbox/menu

To open up .fluxbox/menu in a text editor such as gedit, run

gedit .fluxbox/menu

A lower case "-r" usually means recursive. For example to recursively remove a directory and all subdirectories and files run

rm -r name_of_directory

You will want to be carefull with that one.

As for conky, I'll send you my conkyrc used for my PS3. I don't have a copy of it on my work laptop I am on at the moment. I'll also send you instructions for installing the latest source version of conky. The version that is in the repos is unstable as hell.
tcrroadie
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby bonedome » 12 Oct 2008, 00:23

You're spot on about conky, the first time I used it it was (albeit eye strainingly small) excellent but yesterday the top half (the only part you want to see) had gone.
Now for the background conundrum, I changed the menu to point to the home file (just swapped your name for mine) with a fantastic view of the Brecon Beacons National Park and still no background, I even had a reboot to see if that was required. Does the overlay file have anything to do with the background ?
After all this I still don't know how to post my pic on here anyway :lol:
60Gb ps3 otheros awol. currently playing:bad company and farcry 2 again (seeing how far I can get using permadeath principle)update: regretfully Warren Clyde was involved in a shootout south of Pala and killed when he was hit by a land rover. RIP Warren
bonedome
ydl guru
ydl guru

Next

Return to Playstation 3