Show Off Your Desktop: Post Your Screenshots

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Re: Show Off Your Desktop: Post Your Screenshots

Postby ppietro » 04 Aug 2009, 17:53

ACEFOMIQUZ wrote:How to upload a picture in the board?

It's better if you use an external hosting service. I use picassa myself.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Digitalgenicide » 04 Aug 2009, 18:51

my pretty new desktop. i wish i could figure out how to paste my pics directly in the post
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(256 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Digitalgenicide
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby ppietro » 04 Aug 2009, 21:23

Digitalgenicide wrote:my pretty new desktop. i wish i could figure out how to paste my pics directly in the post

If you attach them to our website, you can't. That's why we use external (free) hosting like picassa, etc.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Digitalgenicide » 05 Aug 2009, 02:34

i know this is off the subject but did u get picasa installed on YD or from another computer? cuz i tried to install picasa 3 and 2.7 but i couldn't get either to work.
Digitalgenicide
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby billb » 05 Aug 2009, 06:15

Digitalgenicide wrote:i know this is off the subject but did u get picasa installed on YD or from another computer? cuz i tried to install picasa 3 and 2.7 but i couldn't get either to work.

You won't be able to get that to work on YDL -- see the system requirements: "Should work on any Linux system with Intel 386-compatible processor" On the PS3 we're using a PowerPC-compatible processor, not x86. Also see Google's statement regarding Picasa for PowerPC:

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/P ... 35c6eb5c7f

Images attached on the forum should display as long as they are no greater than 640x480, otherwise they will show as links only. This resolution can be adjusted if desired.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 05 Aug 2009, 07:12

Digitalgenicide wrote:i know this is off the subject but did u get picasa installed on YD or from another computer? cuz i tried to install picasa 3 and 2.7 but i couldn't get either to work.

Oh yeah - I keep forgetting there's an appliation named Picasa.

No - I use the website:

http://picasaweb.google.com/home

Pick your photo, and click on the "Link to this photo" menu.

From the pull down, select the size you want. (e.g. Medium 400px) Then, in the embed section, select "Image only (no link)". Then, just copy the text from the Embed Image field.

Paste it into your post here, and surround it with the IMG tag. Like so:
Code: Select all

[img]http://lh4.ggpht.com/_onWb0roBETQ/SDUNA0lnbyI/AAAAAAAAAO0/soSA2dxdWZQ/s400/WM_screenshot.png[/img]

which yields:

Cool huh?

billb wrote:Images attached on the forum should display as long as they are no greater than 640x480, otherwise they will show as links only. This resolution can be adjusted if desired.

I had no idea - thanks, billb! :D

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Digitalgenicide » 05 Aug 2009, 19:24

Thanks for the link Paul very appreciated.
Digitalgenicide
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby aguilarojo » 09 Aug 2009, 00:50

Greetings all:

I had noticed some interesting posts regarding desktops and thought to add my own although I'm using xfce within YDL 6.2 on a Powerbook G4. My ulterior motive is to attract some interest of PS3 users, and others, into considering using R http://www.r-project.org/ as their statistics package of choice for use within YDL by students and professionals of various sciences who need to use statistics. R has a variety of attractive and powerful features as an open source product which allows it to remain competitive with, and a superior statistics tool, in comparison to commercial applications such as SPSS and others. Detailed explorations examining accessing R effectively and quickly is found here. Unfortunately, R is not part of the standard YDL release. It's source and associated dependencies need to be acquired by yum from third-party rpms or independently via one's own efforts. Therefore, I compiled and installed R although it is not a standard package within YDL.

This first shot emphasizes the wallpaper from Digital Blasphemy http://www.digitalblasphemy.com along with "Glow in the Dark" xfce theme with Crux used as the Icon theme. The theme used within the Window Manager is Luna-Element Black.

The second shot displays Crux more fully within the File Manager:

The third desktop shot is R running a graphic demo displaying one of it's capabilities:

The fourth shot demonstrates another of R's statistical graphing capabilities useful not only in topography within mathematical and geo-related sciences but also advanced Organic,Physical Chemistry and other Bioscience related applications.:

The fifth and last shot demonstrates a plotting capacity which is difficult in any statistics package, be it commercial or not.

By the way, I want to thank Paul (ppietro) for his advice as to how to point to photos posted within the Picasa Gallery. I tried following his method but was unsuccessful in implementing his advice. I followed a variation of what he described, which I'll describe here:

• Create a gallery online within Picassa and upload your images to that gallery.

• Next select one image and using your three button mouse right-click upon it and select Properties.

• A dialog box called Image Properties, opens. You'll notice the first field called Location, select the entire line listed within that field and copy it.

• Then within the edit mode which allows you to create comments within the YDL Board after registration, select above the frame into which one prepares one's writing for submission into the YDL Board, the img symbol which will produce the opening and closing html commands between which the image existing within Google's Picassa Gallery will appear.
Last edited by aguilarojo on 24 Oct 2011, 13:31, edited 6 times in total.

Everything on the Earth has a purpose.
Every disease an herb to cure it.
And every person has a mission.
This is the Indian Theory of Existence.
-- Morning Dove, Salish (1888-1936)
aguilarojo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby ppietro » 09 Aug 2009, 07:34

aguilarojo wrote:By the way, I want to thank Paul (ppietro) for his advice as to how to point to photos posted within the Picasa Gallery. I tried following his method but was unsuccessful in implementing his advice.

It might be due to the type of gallery you created. It has to be a fully public, non-locked picasa gallery. Otherwise, you have to do something like you mentioned.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby DGreynolds89 » 20 Aug 2009, 16:35

there lol. (had the issue of having a torrent file on my last picture. But thats my desktop. Runnin YDL 6.2. Gnome desktop. i Even have customized sounds that play.
Last edited by DGreynolds89 on 24 Aug 2009, 15:33, edited 1 time in total.
PSN: Dragon_of_snow
PS3: Eye, Headset, Keyboard.

Firmware: 2.80
YDL 6.2/Gnome
SDTV
USBmouse/USBkeyboard

U.S. ARMY VET
DGreynolds89
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby 7up » 23 Aug 2009, 19:24

Hello! new here, and this was the result of last nights venture into the world of ppc linux. certainly not impressive, but its aesthetically pleasing enough for me!

i chose xfce, although it didnt make a huge difference to ram usage, it felt snappy, and it was the only one that worked with the conky from repos :lol:

if any of you guys have written anything about installing mame, preferably with a gui to use it from, pray tell :) otherwise, ydl has exceeded my expectations, all i was told was it was slow and unreliable, i disagree, with some tweaking, you can have a very serviceable home computer here, with the option to dual boot into one of the best gaming platforms around. best 300 quid i spent. thanks in advance guys for any knowledge i will undoubtedly be leeching from you, providing this forum is still a little active
One by one, the penguins steal my sanity.. and my lemonade!
7up
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 23 Aug 2009, 22:23

7up wrote:if any of you guys have written anything about installing mame, preferably with a gui to use it from, pray tell :) otherwise, ydl has exceeded my expectations, all i was told was it was slow and unreliable, i disagree, with some tweaking, you can have a very serviceable home computer here, with the option to dual boot into one of the best gaming platforms around. best 300 quid i spent. thanks in advance guys for any knowledge i will undoubtedly be leeching from you, providing this forum is still a little active

Hello & Welcome! Glad you're enjoying YDL. :D

As for your MAME question - you should ask that in a new post. I'm sure there's folks here with answers for you.

It's best to put new questions as new posts. We kinda frown upon topic piggybacking on our board. Let's keep this one for screenshots only - if possible. ;)

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby DGreynolds89 » 30 Aug 2009, 02:08

if anyone wonders about getting a picture up there are different links in this post to use. you need to use a hosting service, i suggest using photobucket.com but there are others. and the resolution is posted above also as to what size it is perferably.
PSN: Dragon_of_snow
PS3: Eye, Headset, Keyboard.

Firmware: 2.80
YDL 6.2/Gnome
SDTV
USBmouse/USBkeyboard

U.S. ARMY VET
DGreynolds89
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby aguilarojo » 17 Sep 2009, 19:40

I recently discovered xfce themes which appear much better than my previous post and wanted to share them here.

Here's the new desktop:

This picture is the xfce file manager with icon display of various folders and another window where top is running:
Last edited by aguilarojo on 18 Dec 2009, 04:49, edited 5 times in total.

Everything on the Earth has a purpose.
Every disease an herb to cure it.
And every person has a mission.
This is the Indian Theory of Existence.
-- Morning Dove, Salish (1888-1936)
aguilarojo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby bonedome » 18 Sep 2009, 22:33

Hello aguilarojo
slightly off topic, looking at your printout of top you're not using a ps3 then, or are you ? 1031516k of memory, more than 4 times what I'm running
Code: Select all
Mem:    229624k total,   223412k used,     6212k free,      296k buffers
Swap:   778096k total,    17008k used,   761088k free,    51848k cached
so what's your secret ? :D
60Gb ps3 otheros awol. currently playing:bad company and farcry 2 again (seeing how far I can get using permadeath principle)update: regretfully Warren Clyde was involved in a shootout south of Pala and killed when he was hit by a land rover. RIP Warren
bonedome
ydl guru
ydl guru

PreviousNext

Return to Playstation 3