Ydl 6.0 on ps3, Screen Resolution issues

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Ydl 6.0 on ps3, Screen Resolution issues

Postby patbak » 22 Nov 2008, 20:16

I am working on a SDTV even though i know it is a bad idea, but i need to config the resolution, atm the resolution is at "-v 1" and it is workable but i am wondering if i can make more screen room because i have alot of problems with windows cut off and sometimes in unreachable areas ( where the screen gets cut off). i've tried using "-v 2" which did not work at all, and had to reset it to "-v 1" if anyone knows any information that could help me add more screen room that would be a great help, Thanks in Advance.
patbak
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Ydl 6.0 on ps3, Screen Resolution issues

Postby tcrroadie » 22 Nov 2008, 22:47

I'll assume you are speaking of the black borders that you are seeing on your screen. There is a tool that you can use to modify your screen resolution to more properly fit your television called "fbset". In order to use fbset though, you will need to install a newer LInux kernel that supports it. I did create a prebuilt kernel that you can download, install and see if it will suite your needs. You can download and install it by following the following post.

http://www.yellowdog-board.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4198

After you get your new Linux kernel installed then we can begin modifying your screen resolution. First you will need to switch to a virtual terminal. To do this, lets switch to your first virtual terminal by pressing Ctrl+Alt+F1. Then just log into this terminal as you normally would. To modify your screen resolution you will need to be your root user. So switch to root with

Code: Select all
su -l

First we need to set the frame buffer to full screen mode. To do this we will use the "ps3-video_mode" tool as you did before. So for you television we will set ps3-video-mode as follows.

ps3-video-mode -v 129

Now hopefully you can still see your command prompt so that you can modify your screen resolution with fbset. Again you need to be your root user to use fbset, so just keep logged in as root. First lets find out what your current screen resolution is set to by enter the following command.

fbset -s

For example, on my system the output of the above command looks like this

[root@PS3 ~]# fbset -s

mode "1190x660-60"
    # D: 74.178 MHz, H: 44.957 kHz, V: 59.942 Hz
    geometry 1190 660 1190 660 32
    timings 13481 265 115 49 36 80 5
    bcast true
    rgba 8/16,8/8,8/0,8/24
endmode

Take note of the geometry values. That is what your current screen resolution is set to. What we want to do is adjust those values to more properly fit your screen. The syntax for setting your screen resolution will look something like this.

fbset -a -xres 1190 -yres 660 -vxres 1190 -vyres 660

The resolution values that you see above are for my 720p television, and is what I have set for my television as shown using "fbset -s". So all you need to do is adjust the values for your x and y resolutions until your screen output more accurately fits your television. Sometimes you will receive an error message when trying to set a given value. It does not mean that fbset does not work, it just means that the values that you have set are not possible values. So just start my reducing each value by say 10 pixels or dots, or whatever.

So after you get your screen resolution set properly we can make your changes permenent so that they are applied when you boot YDL. First we need to adjust a line in "/etc/yaboot.conf" to set your video mode. So get back to your GUI environment (you may just want to restart your PS3 for this) and open up "/ete/yaboot.conf" in gedit by running in your terminal as root

gedit /etc/yaboot.conf

Now scroll down to the section that list your new kernel and set the ps3fb:mode value to what we set earlier. So it should look something like this

image=/boot/vmlinux-2.6.26.6-PS3-Optimized
        label=2.6.26.6-PS3-Op
        read-only
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.26.6-PS3-Optimized.img
        append="video=ps3fb:mode:129 rhgb quiet root=LABEL=/"

Then save the file and exit gedit. Now we need to have fbset set your custom resolution values when your system boots. To do this we will just add the command syntax that we used to modify the frame buffer resolution to a file called " /etc/rc.local". So again open up /etc/rc.local using gedit by running as your root user

gedit /etc/rc.local

Then just add the command you used to set your custom screen resolution to this file. For example, my /etc/rc.local file looks like this

#!/bin/sh
#
# This script will be executed *after* all the other init scripts.
# You can put your own initialization stuff in here if you don't
# want to do the full Sys V style init stuff.

/usr/sbin/fbset -a -xres 1190 -yres 660 -vxres 1190 -vyres 660

touch /var/lock/subsys/local

Then just save the file and exit gedit. Now when you restart your PS3 and boot your system using your new kernel, you should have a nice fullscreen image that fits your television nicely.
tcrroadie
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby ppietro » 23 Nov 2008, 07:56

patbak wrote:I am working on a SDTV even though i know it is a bad idea, but i need to config the resolution, atm the resolution is at "-v 1" and it is workable but i am wondering if i can make more screen room because i have alot of problems with windows cut off and sometimes in unreachable areas ( where the screen gets cut off). i've tried using "-v 2" which did not work at all, and had to reset it to "-v 1" if anyone knows any information that could help me add more screen room that would be a great help, Thanks in Advance.

Try a fullscreen mode. Generally, that's 128 + the video mode number. In your case, it would be 129.

However - you may find the desktop extends beyond the edges of your monitor. This inability of SDTVs to show all of the broadcast picture is called overscan. That's why they don't default to full screen in the first place - most TVs have a fair amount of overscan.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Legendary_Agent » 15 May 2010, 22:54

hey ive tried that, it doesnt work it either says invalid argument or just corrupts the screen, what am i doing wrong?
Legendary_Agent
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby ppietro » 16 May 2010, 06:07

Legendary_Agent wrote:hey ive tried that, it doesnt work it either says invalid argument or just corrupts the screen, what am i doing wrong?

Just FYI - you're asking this question in a thread from 2008 - and tcrroadie hasn't posted on our board since Oct 2009.

And - if you're trying tcrroadie's values as posted, they won't work for your 576i 50 Hz screen mode. His values are for 720p screens - i.e. 1280x720 displays. He was just posting those as examples from his PS3 - you'll need to use the fbset -s command to find the values that you should use.

I've gone ahead and responded in your other thread:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7386

Due to the age of this thread, I'm locking it to further postings. tcrroadie - if you do want to post responses in this thread, PM me, and I'll unlock it.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Playstation 3