wicd - stuck "Obtaining IP Address..." - my fix

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Re: wicd - stuck "Obtaining IP Address..." - my fix

Postby ppietro » 13 Jun 2009, 05:55

mellofello wrote:Ok so I tried unchecking the use static IP box in the advanced settings for the connection in wicd manager.It still connected and obtained an IP address but when I try to load up a page in firefox it get the failed to connect error. I don't now if it makes a difference but when I do have the static IP details filled in the error I get in firefox is address not found instead.

Tell me more about your Static IP addresses. Are you buying a block of Static IP addresses from your provider? Or do you just have one?

Here's why I'm asking.

Your broadband device has two internal networks - a LAN and a WAN. The WAN connects to the upstream servers, and you connect your home computers to the LAN. Generally, these are two distinct subnets. It's not uncommon for a broadband provider to provide a single Static IP address for the WAN. You would use this Static IP to connect your broadband to your provider. Then, you would then assign "non-routable" IP addresses - like 10.0.0.x or 192.168.0.x - using DHCP to your home computers on your LAN. The broadband router does something called "NAT" - network address translation - to turn the non-routable IP addresses into your Static IP address. Then - your router keeps track of the network traffic and automatically translates incoming packets to your Static IP address back to the internal non-routable IP addresses as necessary.

If the device has wireless, that wireless generally connects to the LAN, not WAN segments.

If you do have a block of Static IP addresses, and have a standard DSL, you may need to turn on something called "VIP Mode" if you're trying to use wireless. This is how I can have Static IP addresses for computers connected to the wireless on my Qwest ActionTEC DSL.

*pause*

There's something else to consider as well. Your broadband may be something called "PPPoE". Linux has trouble logging into this type of system. You may want to purchase a separate Wireless Access Point/Firewall/Router if your provider uses PPPoE. You would use this new Wireless Access Point/Firewall/Router to start the PPPoE connection with your provider, then PS3 Linux would connect to that.

We have had some folks experiment with this - take a look at this post:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4076&p=19774#p19442
and here:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4035&p=19176#p19176

How can I tell if I have just a wireless access point or a firewall/ router too? I'm afraid it came straight from the braodband provider pretty much plug and play so I never needed to know!I do know that it creates a local network aswell as connecting to the internet.

Google is your friend here. :)

Feel free to post your wireless box make and model, and I'd be happy to see what I can dig up on it. Is this an all-in-one unit? Or do you have a separate wireless & broadband box?

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mellofello » 13 Jun 2009, 13:37

Well the box was provided from BeUnlimited but I believe its a Thomson TG585 v7

"The THOMSON TG585 v7 is an 802.11b/g wireless LAN access point with integrated ADSL. Featuring an integrated 10/100Mb/s 4-port switch, the THOMSON TG585 offers seamless connection of wired and wireless worlds from anywhere in the home."

I took this from a site selling them here

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=6798

As I understand it I have 1 static IP address, I don't know much about it. The provier just told me that it was free and would be good if I want to use my connection to play games online.

thanks

mello
mellofello
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby sun » 21 Jun 2009, 21:32

mellofello wrote:Well the box was provided from BeUnlimited but I believe its a Thomson TG585 v7

Assuming what you have is the TG585.
Looking at the info for the TG585, it looks like a standard run-of-the-mill adsl modem+wireless router. It also has a built-in DHCP server. Your static IP is probably your internet/WAN IP and it is this information that your ISP is going to give you when you call them (eg. IP is not a 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x address). However, since the TG585 uplink is PPPoE the WAN IP address is most likey a "static" DHCP setup and you'll probably never have to bother entering that information into the router (only your PPPoE user/pass). The router's internal LAN is probably a standard DHCP setup(IPs are 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x). Note the extensive use of "probably" as the ISP may have changed the configuration/firmware before sending it to you.

Given this, I'd start by entering your wireless information (encryption type and key in the SSID's Advanced Settings) and setting obtain IP address and DNS information automatically as the TG585 DHCP server will probably give it something on the order of 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x for IP address. Note: If you have other wireless clients (laptops, game systems, printers, etc.) connected then wicd's setup should match. If you have other computers successfully connecting to the internet via that same router, especially wired clients, the router WAN setup is already configured properly and can be ignored. I'm assuming this since you can post to this forum. If wicd is set to automatic and gets an IP address in either the 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x range, that indicates that the wireless handshake (association, encryption, etc.) went well and you are connected to the router.

If you are still unable to connect to the internet, there might be something else causing the problem. Possibly the low signal strength. How far from the router is your PS3? How many walls are in between? How thick? Are these walls paper, wood, concrete, or metal? Any large RF interfereing electical lines? Cosmic rays? Gremlins? All of these can play a roll in killing signal and any signal less than 60% or so is gonna be iffy at best.

-sun
sun
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby sun » 21 Jun 2009, 21:37

... and adding patch for wicd v1.6.1

wicd v1.6.1
wnettools.py.tar.gz
wnettools.py v1.6.1 -
YDL 6.1: extract and place in /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/wicd/
Fedora 10: extract and place in /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/wicd/
Fedora 11: extract and place in /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/wicd/
(11.46 KiB) Downloaded 476 times

-sun
sun
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby sun » 07 Jul 2009, 03:28

... and wicd v 1.6.2

wicd v1.6.2
wnettools.py.tar.gz
wnettools.py v1.6.2 -
(11.48 KiB) Downloaded 606 times

-sun
sun
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby Mikaelft » 08 Aug 2009, 10:12

sun wrote:I got it working.

Story:
wicd v1.6.2
wnettools.py.tar.gz
wnettools.py v1.6.2 -
(11.48 KiB)

Step 2: Extract the modified wnettools.py from the .tar.gz archive

Step 3: Backup your current wnettools.py located in /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/wicd/ so that you can restore it should my fix not help you or you decide to apply a later patch. Else you face the daunting task of reinstallation.

Step 4: Copy the modified wnettools.py to /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/wicd/ and overwrite the existing file that you backed up in Step 3. (root access is required for this step, so either do this logged in as root, or go su yourself in terminal)

Step 5: Reboot

Step 6: Return and post a reply of your success or failure. (I hope you printed this)

-sun

I got it to work with 1.6.2 :D
Thank you !
Mikaelft
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby Mikaelft » 08 Aug 2009, 12:14

Hmmm. wlan0 won't start on the bootup. I have to connect manually to my network. (I have checked the "connect automatically")
Mikaelft
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby sun » 01 Sep 2009, 08:35

... adding v1.6.2.1

Note: with this version I noticed that it fails to connect more often, but does eventually connect. Cause still unknown. Perhapse, users should stay <= 1.6.2 and wait for 1.6.3 to avoid unnesessary headaches. As always, your mileage may vary.

wicd v1.6.2.1
wnettools.py.tar.gz
wnettools.py v1.6.2.1 -
(11.54 KiB) Downloaded 361 times

- sun
sun
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby sun » 05 Sep 2009, 18:52

... adding v1.6.2.2

wicd v1.6.2.2
wnettools.py.tar.gz
wnettools.py v1.6.2.2 -
(11.59 KiB) Downloaded 734 times

- sun
sun
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby frame125 » 18 Sep 2009, 08:17

I am having troubles in relation to the post " wicd - stuck "Obtaining IP Address..." - my fix"
When I attempt to extract the files directly to the place that I am supposed to It says that I do not have the privelages to
extract to that file............ so i tried to extract it first and place the folder dirctly in as a drag and drop and it again
states that I do not have the authority to alter the file(s). PLZ help .... I'm a complete noob to linux of any kind and my computer is dying so Im setting up my ps3 as a stop gap till i have replacement funds for a new computer pluss i want to do BOINC for Seti and I need wireless
frame125
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 18 Sep 2009, 10:06

frame125 wrote:I am having troubles in relation to the post " wicd - stuck "Obtaining IP Address..." - my fix"
When I attempt to extract the files directly to the place that I am supposed to It says that I do not have the privelages to
extract to that file............ so i tried to extract it first and place the folder dirctly in as a drag and drop and it again
states that I do not have the authority to alter the file(s). PLZ help .... I'm a complete noob to linux of any kind and my computer is dying so Im setting up my ps3 as a stop gap till i have replacement funds for a new computer pluss i want to do BOINC for Seti and I need wireless

First - if you're running 6.2, chances are you don't need to do this. wicd in 6.2 should run out of the box without patching.

Second - if you're running 6.1, then you must be root user to do this. It's probably easiest for you to just log in as root for the user and give your root password at the login screen.

Third - BOINC probably won't run the Seti client on the PS3 too well. The website indicates mixed results.

Main post here:
http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/forum_th ... p?id=39910

Additional info:
http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/forum_th ... p?id=28087
http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/forum_th ... p?id=46759

Primarily, you run PS3GRID on BOINC:
http://www.ps3grid.net/

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby frame125 » 19 Sep 2009, 04:35

ppietro Site Admin I want to thank you I didnt know that I could log in as the root user (again Im a noob to linux) but after i read your post i applied the patch, rebooted and connected like thier was never a problem in the first place... now if I could only change the screen resolution to 1080p LOL Thank you again
frame125
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Previous

Return to Playstation 3