wicd - stuck "Obtaining IP Address..." - my fix

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

Re: wicd - stuck "Obtaining IP Address..." - my fix

Postby ppietro » 17 Feb 2009, 23:23

Scheff wrote:Also, What are you guys working on as far as Linux is concerned?

(im sure u you guys are beyond the wireless internet stage)

Emulators,sixaxis....?

Nah - that's too easy. :lol: I've been working on this a lot lately:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4667

It's basically a transparent way of running x86 applications on your PowerPC Linux.

It's...sorta working. :D

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby confused_ydl » 17 Feb 2009, 23:38

ppietro wrote:
confused_ydl wrote:Paul. I'm in the middle of reinstalling YDL6.1. i can't get the exact error message but from memory it said "WICD EXECUTION ERROR" at the top and said something about not being able to start since there was no specific WICD boot file or something of the sort. What i've done so far in the reinstallation is checked the box for wlan0 and chcked the following boxes as well: OFFICE PRODUCTIVITY, SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT, WEB SERVER. it's checking the dependencies now. in my past installations i have tried using the 1.5.3 version on the first page of this thread. i also tried 1.5.9 just hoping. i know my version is 1.5.3 because before it gets corrupted i check to make sure. what am i doing wrong?

There was an issue with the 1.5.3 patch. It prevented the wicd service from starting, and that led to the errors you were seeing. That should be fixed with the 1.5.3 patch in the very first post of this thread, which I'll verify. However - if you want to wait for me to test it, you can use this one in the interim:
download/file.php?id=73

Cheers,
Paul

Paul i've read through and sun said he fixed the problem in the newer one. but how do i upgrade to 1.5.7 and when i do, which patch do i use?
80gb motorstorm bundle ps3 with 4 usb and media ports
500gb external drive
26" LCD sony TV 1080i
confused_ydl
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby ppietro » 17 Feb 2009, 23:55

confused_ydl wrote:Paul i've read through and sun said he fixed the problem in the newer one. but how do i upgrade to 1.5.7 and when i do, which patch do i use?

Okay - here's how it works. There are various versions of wicd - 1.5.3, 1.5.7, 1.5.9, etc. Each version of wicd requires a corresponding patch.

YDL ships with wicd 1.5.3. At this point, until you get your networking working, I would stick with this version. Download the patch for 1.5.3 and that should get you started:

Patch for wicd 1.5.3:
download/file.php?id=74

Cheers,
Paul

P.S. If that doesn't work, the original patch should. It has some other errors - but I'll mention it here just in case.

Original patch for wicd 1.5.3:
download/file.php?id=73
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby confused_ydl » 18 Feb 2009, 00:05

ppietro wrote:
confused_ydl wrote:Paul i've read through and sun said he fixed the problem in the newer one. but how do i upgrade to 1.5.7 and when i do, which patch do i use?

Okay - here's how it works. There are various versions of wicd - 1.5.3, 1.5.7, 1.5.9, etc. Each version of wicd requires a corresponding patch.

YDL ships with wicd 1.5.3. At this point, until you get your networking working, I would stick with this version. Download the patch for 1.5.3 and that should get you started:

Patch for wicd 1.5.3:
download/file.php?id=74

Cheers,
Paul

P.S. If that doesn't work, the original patch should. It has some other errors - but I'll mention it here just in case.

download/file.php?id=73

im trying it now. when i get a connection and upgrade will i have to download another patch?
500gb external drive
26" LCD sony TV 1080i
confused_ydl
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby Scheff » 18 Feb 2009, 00:17

ppietro wrote:
Scheff wrote:Also, What are you guys working on as far as Linux is concerned?

(im sure u you guys are beyond the wireless internet stage)

Emulators,sixaxis....?

Nah - that's too easy. :lol: I've been working on this a lot lately:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4667

It's basically a transparent way of running x86 applications on your PowerPC Linux.

It's...sorta working. :D

Cheers,
Paul

Thanks Paul,

Since im starting on a fresh copy of 6.1. is there any plugins/fixes or nice features I should try?
Scheff
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby confused_ydl » 18 Feb 2009, 00:29

ppietro wrote:

Patch for wicd 1.5.3:
download/file.php?id=74

Cheers,
Paul

download/file.php?id=73

still no luck paul. :( still getting the same error as before. i dont whats going on. will u plz walk me through this?
500gb external drive
26" LCD sony TV 1080i
confused_ydl
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby sun » 18 Feb 2009, 00:53

I pushed another file up for v1.5.3 at the top of the thread. The one I posted before is probably not going to work, either. I'm still trying to trace through and find out where my revisions got all *censored*. Can someone test and post if the new file works for them?

-sun
sun
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby Scheff » 18 Feb 2009, 01:24

sun wrote:I pushed another file up for v1.5.3 at the top of the thread. The one I posted before is probably not going to work, either. I'm still trying to trace through and find out where my revisions got all *censored*. Can someone test and post if the new file works for them?

-sun

I Just tried both the 1.5.3 patches from pauls post 2 ubove this, and nothing works. im still getting an error on my wicd start up

any suggestions? :(

all the help has been greatly appreciated
Scheff
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 18 Feb 2009, 01:27

Scheff wrote:just tried both the 1.5.3 patches from pauls post 2 up and nothing works. im still getting an error on my wicd start up

any suggestions? :(

all the help has been greatly appriciated

Are you restarting the service (or rebooting) after applying the patch? Just installing the patch won't make it work.

The old one - download/file.php?id=73 - should definitely work on a stock YDL 6.1 system.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 18 Feb 2009, 01:28

confused_ydl wrote:still no luck paul. :( still getting the same error as before. i dont whats going on. will u plz walk me through this?

Sure - no problem. Go here:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4534#p24084

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 18 Feb 2009, 01:32

confused_ydl wrote:im trying it now. when i get a connection and upgrade will i have to download another patch?

Again - let me reiterate - I would not upgrade. So far, there hasn't been much real benefit to newer versions that I've heard about. I strongly suggest that you patch the default YDL wicd version 1.5.3 with this patch:
download/file.php?id=73
and get your base networking functional.

However - should you decide to update wicd to 1.5.7, etc., then - yes - you will need to patch that version with the corresponding patch.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 18 Feb 2009, 01:34

sun wrote:Can someone test and post if the new file works for them?

I'm away from my PS3 right now - but I'll try it when I get home. (2 -3 hours from now.)

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Scheff » 18 Feb 2009, 07:04

:D

Paul and Sun,

Thanks!

I re-installed, didnt touch a thing, pluged in the code and bingo!

My next goal is Ps3 controllers or getting flash games to run on firefox.

If you guys have a uick refrences to one of these, please let me know.

:arrow: Loving the YD Board,

:arrow: Thanks again!
Scheff
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 18 Feb 2009, 11:58

Scheff wrote:My next goal is Ps3 controllers or getting flash games to run on firefox.

(Slight detour - just to answer these questions quickly)

PS3 controllers: http://pleasantfiction.ipower.com/bodeg ... ?f=10&t=16

As for Flash, there is no true Adobe Flash for PowerPC Linuxes - like YDL. So - we can only use reverse engineered clone versions. These versions are kind of buggy and slow - but they're all we've got. The main one we use is called Gnash. It should be pre-installed on your YDL system. However - if it's not, Add/Remove Software can add it pretty easily.

Also - any further follow-up questions to these replies should be made as new questions and not piggy-backed on this thread. Let's try to keep this thread wicd patch specifc. Thanks!

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 18 Feb 2009, 12:42

ppietro wrote:
sun wrote:Can someone test and post if the new file works for them?

I'm away from my PS3 right now - but I'll try it when I get home. (2 -3 hours from now.)

I tried the one uploaded at the start of this post as
download/file.php?id=76

and it doesn't work. Am I trying the correct version?

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Playstation 3