pidgin-otr - encrypted instant messages

YDL running on the Sony Playstation 3

Moderator: billb

pidgin-otr - encrypted instant messages

Postby Tobe » 04 Jan 2009, 20:06

Has anyone installed pidgin-otr (formerly known as gaim-otr, because Pidgin switched its name from Gaim to Pidgin in the past), which allows off-the-record messaging (private conversations over instant messaging through encryption)? For further information see http://otr.cypherpunks.ca.

I ask this because I don't know how to install and which version to be used. In pirut (menu Applications > System Tools > Add/Remove Software) I can only find an old version (gaim-otr - 3.0.1-0.6.20060712cvs.fc6.ppc), but under Package Details they are telling that this is a plugin for Pidgin. It seems that you can find newer versions under http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=pidgin-otr.so. Any help would be appreciated.
Tobe

Re: pidgin-otr - encrypted instant messages

Postby Jaybps3 » 05 Jan 2009, 03:44

Click on the link below, Choose open with software installer, Install it, It will tell you it needs to install additional packages choose yes, Anyways install the package below, Once it is installed open up pidgin, Its the default messenger for YDL. Once you open pidgin you need to configure pidgin for your IM of choice compatible with yahoo aim and many more add your account, Once your logged into your IM account. Click on the pidgin tools tab and then click add-ons tab browse down and look for ( Off-the-Record Messaging 3.1.0 and make sure to check it to enable it. Then you will need to click on the configure plugin tab, This will pull up a new box where you will be able to generate a key to use with it. After that it will be configured and ready to use.
ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/fedora/updates/ ... c7.ppc.rpm
Attachments
Screenshot.png
A screenshot for you!
Screenshot.png (170.61 KiB) Viewed 5546 times
60GB PS3 (CECHA01) upgraded HDD 160gb, 40" Sony Bravia, Ydl 6 and plenty of other goodies :)
http://www.youtube.com/user/jaybps3
Jaybps3
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby Tobe » 05 Jan 2009, 16:39

Thanks for your help, Jaybps3, and also for your youtube tutorial in the other thread. Both addons work great now.

Maybe this one is also of interest for billb's READ ME FIRST sticky, because nowhere else in this forum a hint concerning pidgin-otr is to be found. And my source obviously mentioned the wrong rpm-files for our PS3 system...
Tobe

Postby Tobe » 24 May 2009, 12:46

Jaybps3 wrote:Click on the link below, Choose open with software installer, Install it, It will tell you it needs to install additional packages choose yes, Anyways install the package below, Once it is installed open up pidgin, Its the default messenger for YDL. Once you open pidgin you need to configure pidgin for your IM of choice compatible with yahoo aim and many more add your account, Once your logged into your IM account. Click on the pidgin tools tab and then click add-ons tab browse down and look for ( Off-the-Record Messaging 3.1.0 and make sure to check it to enable it. Then you will need to click on the configure plugin tab, This will pull up a new box where you will be able to generate a key to use with it. After that it will be configured and ready to use.
ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/fedora/updates/ ... c7.ppc.rpm

Something in the link has changed: The basic address is called no longer rpmfind.net, but fr.rpmfind.net.
So try this new one:
ftp://fr.rpmfind.net/linux/fedora/updat ... c7.ppc.rpm
Tobe

Postby Tobe » 16 May 2010, 19:29

Again the link and the file have disappeared. But I found it again here:
http://ftp.nctu.edu.tw/fedora/linux/updates/7/ppc/pidgin-otr-3.1.0-2.fc7.ppc.rpm

It seems that I'm the only one using this feature. :D
Tobe

Return to Playstation 3